Foggy headlights of SLK

Jj5599

Hi, for a SLK, i notice the headlights seemed to be foggy from the inside..how do I rectify this?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Hi, for a SLK, i notice the headlights seemed to be foggy from the inside..how do I rectify this?

Thanks

Hi, Bro Jj5599,

A bad mechanic replaced one of my blowed bulb and lost my headlight plastic cap without notifying me, few days later I noticed condensation vapour appeared in side the headlight.

I check around the back of the headlight assembly and found this opening hole without the plastic cap, checked car spare part stockist and AD, they said don't sell the single cap but the whole headlight set.

Out of wits, I measured the hole diameter and find other plastic bottle cap to modify and clipped it back securely, since then the condensation and vapour never appears again.

Please check your headlight assembly for cracks or any unwanted opening holes that caused humid air leaks into your headlight.

(edited)

I can fix the leak...its the cleaning of the fog inside i am concerned about..

edit: so i just seal the leak and the condensation will disappear?

Edited by Jj5599

I can fix the leak...its the cleaning of the fog inside i am concerned about..

My case was lucky enough that the internal wall water stains and yellowish marks disappear in about a week time, did asked the accessory shop boss to help opens up the headlight for cleaning but he said he can't do it because he worry breaking the plastic cover and the seals for such low cost job. [:(]

Hoping yours are as easy or similar with my previous mishap [cool]

Edited by Fongmy

funny, both of the headlights seemed foggy.

Bro, please check and confirming the blurr stains is outside or inside the headlight cover, if it is just outside, you may use our normal toothpaste to polish to see whether it goes away or not, is no harm with low cost for trying, please do it for good hope [:)]

Thought I have different car from urself but the principle is the same. U can try take out one of ur bulb. The reason is to let the moisture escape. If u do not do that the moisture/foggy will remain as it is even u leave it a few days as the moisture is stuck. The process takes less than 30 mins and everything like new again. Remain to seal it back properly otherwise it comes back again.

Leaving it to dry itself is ok but the thing is stains will generate if left unattended. Especially the sun burn it into the lens and the mark is there.

(edited)

Will I have to end up replacing the headlights? Its my neighbour's SLK...I want to help her but I need to know how to, it seem like such a process.....

She usually park beside my lot...actually her SLK is very beautiful...just that the headlight looks funny..

Edited by Jj5599

Seems like a common problem... I have seen this happen to other SLKs too... headlights turn yellow, encrusted with white stuff or foggy...

Twincharged

Most Mercedes headlight plastic lens don't last long,4-5 yrs,the lens will become foggy....look at the Mercedes taxi,all the lights are not bright.

Thanks

There is this freelance chap near to Kallang MRT MSCP on appointment basis. He helps to open/clean and seal up the headlamps for a fee, saw his workmanship and it's good, friendly and humble chap

Seems like a common problem... I have seen this happen to other SLKs too... headlights turn yellow, encrusted with white stuff or foggy...

common problem? strange related with Mercedes brand [hur]

There is this freelance chap near to Kallang MRT MSCP on appointment basis. He helps to open/clean and seal up the headlamps for a fee, saw his workmanship and it's good, friendly and humble chap

Please share contact!

It's probably not fog on the inside of the lamp. It's probably grime located on the outside of the plastic cover. As Fongmy said, simply use toothpaste and toothbrush to clean. It's not a permanent fix though, it'll turn grimy again after a few months. Cheap and good solution! Remember not to use same toothbrush for brushing teeth!

↡ Advertisement