Drum Brakes Vs Disc Brakes

QQDreamer

Is that you again, Sabbie?

Drum brakes are ancient tech, and the inherent limitation of the design is heat soak (since the friction-generating surfaces are enclosed in the drum) causing brake fade. Hence they were superseded by disc brakes, where the disc is exposed to ambient for rapid cooling.

Drum brakes are cheaper to make, so lots of econoboxes have drum brakes in the rear, where braking efficiency is less critical. Modern drum brakes are not as bad as the older ones, though they're still much less effective than modern disc brakes.

Edited by Turboflat4

no im not sabbie. is it LTA friendly to do the conversion from drum to disc or vice versa?

Drum to disc - don't know about LTA-friendliness. Probably not, since the stupid, inflexible idiots wonderful civil servants can argue that it's a mod of critical safety components. You'll probably be able to tell at a glance from the LTA website. In any case, be careful of brake balance - if you upgrade the rear drums to discs, make sure the fronts are upgraded to an equal or more effective design. If there's too much rear-bias, you can get oversteer/fishtailing instead of greater stopping power.

Disc to drum - why would you want to?

am just asking the vice versa. drum is much easier to maintain compared to disc. changing a rotor is much costly than changing the drum brake shoes.

Neutral Newbie

am just asking the vice versa. drum is much easier to maintain compared to disc. changing a rotor is much costly than changing the drum brake shoes.

fair comparison?

drum brake shoes are equivalent to brake pads

big mouth small brain?

Why some cars have drum brakes and why some cars have disc brakes? Which one is actually better?

my old fiat has drum brakes for the rear.

I never dare to speed with that car. braking is super weak.

Twincharged

the breaking distance of Drum is slightly longer than disc - please take note.

But if the car was designed with drum brakes in the rear then it probably won't do much good to change to discs anyway. Just like those people who upgrade their brakes but still using the same tires. Braking distance probably still remains about the same.

IMO if you can lock the wheels with your current brakes then it is good enough already. Cuz that is the limitation of your tires.

fair comparison?

drum brake shoes are equivalent to brake pads

big mouth small brain?

It should be lesser maintenance. If I am not wrong, change afew pairs of brake pads due to brakes pad worn-out leow still need not change drum brake shoes. If I am not wrong again, most cars are front wheels drive cars, therefore most of the braking power comes from the front disc brakes. They are the main actors. Rear discs brakes are usually smaller than the front and most of the time play "calei fare" role. Therefore, alot of mod is done on the front disc brakes gotten from those aftermarket brands. Most important is defensive driving-keep a safe distance. We still have tires to be content with when comes to having good braking power.

Edited by Renegade777

penny wise pound foolish. how often do you change the rotor really?

Neutral Newbie

Why some cars have drum brakes and why some cars have disc brakes? Which one is actually better?

drum brakes r better during rainy days n disc brakes r better in dry weather.

Twincharged

drum brakes r better during rainy days n disc brakes r better in dry weather.

I thought disc always have better braking power? Drum brakes sometimes not effective when got water enter the drums.

Neutral Newbie

your front brakes do more than 70% of the braking. if changing the rear drum to disc brakes, the improvement is at most 10~15% better = 1.15 x 30% = 34.5%. 70%+34.5% = 104.5% Max woh. ONLY.

hehe.

just upgrade the front brakes bah.

Neutral Newbie

both brakes works differently, disc is for normal braking while drum is for handbrake, i'm quite curious to know how does those cards with only all disc works too!

Is that you again, Sabbie?

Drum brakes are ancient tech, and the inherent limitation of the design is heat soak (since the friction-generating surfaces are enclosed in the drum) causing brake fade. Hence they were superseded by disc brakes, where the disc is exposed to ambient for rapid cooling.

Drum brakes are cheaper to make, so lots of econoboxes have drum brakes in the rear, where braking efficiency is less critical. Modern drum brakes are not as bad as the older ones, though they're still much less effective than modern disc brakes.

I believe drum brakes are more efficient than disc brakes. However, they are more prone to brake fade. So many/most cars comes with front disc brakes, otherwise they need much bigger and heavier front drum brakes. Drum brakes are cheaper to make and outlast disc brakes (drums against rotors, shoes against pads). Most commercial vehicles use drum brakes.

both brakes works differently, disc is for normal braking while drum is for handbrake, i'm quite curious to know how does those cards with only all disc works too!

Those car with all round disc brake has drum brake incorporated into them.

↡ Advertisement