Android Got Notification Center too?

Billcoke

I like the idea how Iphone consolidates and standardize all the apps notification under the Notification Center, but as for Android, I notice the notification settings are all over the place at apps level. Does Android have a notification widget/apps equivalent to Iphone?

I did a search, but I could only find notification pop up, not notification center.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...e=search_result

ScreenshotsofiOS5NotificationCentersettingupindividualappsnotifications.png

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement

you are spot on regarding the haphazard nature of android. this is one occasion where apple's nazi stance actually prevails for the good of users.

the problem with android is that google is simply not as strict with the developers as apple is, partly out of the fear that they will drive even more developers away. asandroid things are, most established devs develop for iOS then for android as an afterthought. nice.

the result is impaired user experience, at google/android's expense. Fact is, google is actually very nice to provide all devs with the coding which will allow apps to leverage on standard features within android. for example, for push notifications there is Autosync which is fairly impressive.

what happens? 6 out of 10 apps decides to use some half farked implementation of their own push. Some of these champion apps even cause excessive battery drain because of their subpar push implementations.

(edited)

you are spot on regarding the haphazard nature of android. this is one occasion where apple's nazi stance actually prevails for the good of users.

the problem with android is that google is simply not as strict with the developers as apple is, partly out of the fear that they will drive even more developers away. asandroid things are, most established devs develop for iOS then for android as an afterthought. nice.

the result is impaired user experience, at google/android's expense. Fact is, google is actually very nice to provide all devs with the coding which will allow apps to leverage on standard features within android. for example, for push notifications there is Autosync which is fairly impressive.

what happens? 6 out of 10 apps decides to use some half farked implementation of their own push. Some of these champion apps even cause excessive battery drain because of their subpar push implementations.

The other things I notice about Android is that there are many apps running in the background even though I didn't activate them. I constantly need to go to the Go task manager to end task the running apps inorder to free up the memory. I tried out Advanced Task Killer's which has a feature to auto kill background apps, but FAQ states that this feature will drain my battery fast, which defeats the purpose. Are there better apps to prevent these apps from running in the background?

Don't mean to be picky, just trying to understand whether this is normal? or there are some settings I didn't do correctly?

Edited by Billcoke

The other things I notice about Android is that there are apps running in the background even though I didn't activate them. I constantly need to go to the Go task manager to end task the running apps inorder to free up the memory. Are there better apps to prevent these apps from running in the background?

Don't mean to be picky, just trying to understand whether this is normal? or there are some settings I didn't do correctly?

Startup Manager

Paid version

Startup Manager (Paid)

Don't need root permissions so try it. Warning. Don't anyoldhow uncheck System apps else you will encounter endless loop of FC (Force Close). Also, think about which apps you need to start together. It is a compromise between performance and functionality.

Edited by Happily1986

Startup Manager

Paid version

Startup Manager (Paid)

Don't need root permissions so try it. Warning. Don't anyoldhow uncheck System apps else you will encounter endless loop of FC (Force Close). Also, think about which apps you need to start together. It is a compromise between performance and functionality.

thanks, will check it out.

Also, think about which apps you need to start together. It is a compromise between performance and functionality.

You mean some apps are run together?

You mean some apps are run together?

Some apps enable themselves to run together at startup. Thats what i meant. E.g. Maps. Err but why the fark would you need Maps on startup right or not? So you can choose to disable it from startup. When you want to use it, just run it. Thats my rationale.

Some apps enable themselves to run together at startup. Thats what i meant. E.g. Maps. Err but why the fark would you need Maps on startup right or not? So you can choose to disable it from startup. When you want to use it, just run it. Thats my rationale.

And I notice many apps can not be auto disabled and need to be manually force stop, such as:

Social Hub, MAil, Accuweather, whatsapps, worldmate, gmail, maps and AP Mobile.

Like you said, why need Maps at startup?

map start up because they want to know your location

so that the next time u use map it will can pinpoint fast

not true. to provide location pinpointing, you either use GPS or cell tower positioning. Both methods are controlled by the network location provider service which doesn't rely on Google Maps as a dependency.

As a matter of fact, i find the network location provider annoying as it causes partial wakelocks therefore i disable location pinpointing on my phone and enable it on an ad-hoc basis.

even so, Google Map still loads so your assertation is not valid. Fact is, there are plenty of trigger events which a developer can choose to tag his or her app to start depending on the nature of the app. e.g. network connectivity changes perhaps from data to wifi. Google Maps is instructed to run on some weird triggers as such and i simply chose to disable such trigger because Google Maps can consume alot of RAM usage.

No.. iPhone notifications comes from apple server. That is how it saves battery.

iPhone maintains 1 single connection for all its apps' notifications from apple notification server.

Which in turn allows u to set notifications from settings in 1 page.

Android doesn't do this. There is no notifications server or settings.

Each app does it own notification from its own server thus more connections / more battery usage.

how to disable the voice command pop up? :angry:

every time i press the home key, the voice command will pop up, very irritating. I couldn't find the disable in the general setting nor the voice command apps setting.

Please help!

How to enable the notification for whatsapp to pop up when there is a message coming in? Or do I have to load a pop up notifier? Currently it just vibrates, no sound

How to enable the notification for whatsapp to pop up when there is a message coming in? Or do I have to load a pop up notifier? Currently it just vibrates, no sound

one at a time lah [laugh]

for your case, whatsapp setting has 2 type of notification, message and group. each can be able and disable on their sound/vibrate.

also i notice if you dun get out of the apps (press home button), there may not have a sound notification since it is still on the current apps.

one at a time lah [laugh]

for your case, whatsapp setting has 2 type of notification, message and group. each can be able and disable on their sound/vibrate.

also i notice if you dun get out of the apps (press home button), there may not have a sound notification since it is still on the current apps.

but on the android, i dont see any settings leh [bigcry] iOS different story, so easy to use