Directional verus Asymmetric tyres

Kelpie

Hi all,

What are the pros and cons of these 2?

I read from wikipedia that:

"An asymmetric tire may refer to a passenger car radial tire in which asymmetric structure stabilizing belts are built. Generally the stabilizing belts give a self-aligning torque when a motor vehicle is running straight ahead as well as when it is cornering. However, the sidewalls of the radial tire are so flexible that there will be a delay in the lateral reaction between the tread of the tire and the rim of its wheel as the vehicle is being steered positively. The lateral force will be transmitted from the front wheel to the rear of the vehicle, which will tend to be steered off course. Whereas the asymmetric belts bring a gradual change in the lateral displacement of the tire tread corresponding to the rim while the cornering load grows. The progressive change will harden the sidewalls to produce an immediate response to steering, which results in safer driving."

So Asymmetric tyre is more superior in term of safety and concerning?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

I prefer directional for better control.

Asymmetric tyres just roll along whatever direction it's heading.

For trucks, must put directional for front axle, other axles you can mount either directional or asymmetric. But asymmetric performs better at the rear axles.

Asymmetric tyre I feel allows the car to track straighter. I feel its better than those directional tyres I have tried.

↡ Advertisement