Screeching sound when steering wheel fully turned

Baphomet

guys

recently hear this screeching sound whenever I fully turn my steering left or right..its pretty consistent..only happens when i fully turn during parking. can any bros advice what could have been the cause?

Power steering fluid? Steering pump? Appreciate if can advice cost as well. Thanks! [:)]

↡ Advertisement

check the steering pump first. see any leakage. if there is a leakage it could mean the steering pump does not have enough lubricant becos of the leakage. if there is no leakage, probably your steering pump or steering gear assy give way liao. Also do check the power steering belt see the condition is ok or not.

• Praise 1

guys

recently hear this screeching sound whenever I fully turn my steering left or right..its pretty consistent..only happens when i fully turn during parking. can any bros advice what could have been the cause?

Power steering fluid? Steering pump? Appreciate if can advice cost as well. Thanks! [:)]

could it be your wheel bearings are worn out?

• Praise 1

(edited)

the screeching sound is very consistant.. only when i max turn left or right it comes. once i slight turn back abit sound gone.... driving Mazda 3 btw..

hope its not the rack...if not costly liao.... I not very good in car mechanics....don't even know where's the steering pump..

Edited by Baphomet

another thing maybe could be due to your exhaust mountings. my car used to have this problem also. at first i thought is the drive shaft. when turning right only have "tok tok tok" sound, the left turning no problem. later gota find out is the exhaust rubber mounting that is the culprit. Replaced that one until now no problem. Hope can share this experience with u here.

the screeching sound is very consistant.. only when i max turn left or right it comes. once i slight turn back abit sound gone.... driving Mazda 3 btw..

hope its not the rack...if not costly liao.... I not very good in car mechanics....don't even know where's the steering pump..

Hi pal, its been a year since u last had the problem.

So how? Still living w the problem or u got a mechanic to get it done?

My Mazda 3 started giving me this problem 2 weeks after changing the wheel bearings...

Thinking of changing workshop...

• Praise 1

My Mazda 3 started giving me this problem 2 weeks after changing the wheel bearings...

My mazda 3 had this problem for almost a year alrdy. The sound appear only when I full lock my steering. I was told by AD steering pump spoil and rack leak. They quote me an insane $5k to change pump and rack! I did not rectify and so far nth happen.

After awhile, I get use to that sound and try not to full lock the steering. I flushed my steering fluid and check my steering fluid weekly. No drop in fluid level and steering works perfectly fine. Guess its AD trying to carrot me.

I think it's the pulley linked to the steering pump that is making the screeching sound. It could be the belt that drives the pulley that require replacement. The belt also drive the water pump, air con clutch, etc. There's a belt tensioner to this belt. Check your service record see when was the last time these were changed. If nong time no change, try replacing the belt and tensioner.

If the pulley still make sound after belt replacement dan the pump has to be replaced. If I'm not wrong the pump and pulley will come as a set.

Power steering fluid require change when it turn darkish red colour or turned black. If fresh it's red colour. Same for brake fluid. It's clear colour when fresh, replacement is needed when it turned black.

I think it's the pulley linked to the steering pump that is making the screeching sound. It could be the belt that drives the pulley that require replacement. The belt also drive the water pump, air con clutch, etc. There's a belt tensioner to this belt. Check your service record see when was the last time these were changed. If nong time no change, try replacing the belt and tensioner.

If the pulley still make sound after belt replacement dan the pump has to be replaced. If I'm not wrong the pump and pulley will come as a set.

Power steering fluid require change when it turn darkish red colour or turned black. If fresh it's red colour. Same for brake fluid. It's clear colour when fresh, replacement is needed when it turned black.

Actually I got belt changed recently. Fluid colour flush as stated in the manual and it's normal red. My steering still feels the same. I guess just don't full lock steering then shouldn't have any problem. Only change the pump when it totally break down.

(edited)

Bro.. Still living with this problem.

I've tried flushing the steering fluid and change with new fluid. Problem still persist.

I've regularly checked the steering fluid. Seems normal.

Since it did not get worse...basically more or less the same. I just try not to fully lock the steering lor. So far so good..

Edited by Baphomet

This is one of the symptoms yr power steering pump going to spoil.

U can try to change yr power steering fluid. It might help or it might not.

My mazda 3 had this problem for almost a year alrdy. The sound appear only when I full lock my steering. I was told by AD steering pump spoil and rack leak. They quote me an insane $5k to change pump and rack! I did not rectify and so far nth happen.

After awhile, I get use to that sound and try not to full lock the steering. I flushed my steering fluid and check my steering fluid weekly. No drop in fluid level and steering works perfectly fine. Guess its AD trying to carrot me.

Try adding a bottle or two of power steering stop leak to yr power steering fluid.

I put in one bottle just as a precaution when I flushed my power steering fluid.

↡ Advertisement