Man fined S$3,000 for setting neighbour's cat on fire

Darthrevan

A 78-year-old retiree was fined S$3,000 for setting his neighbour's cat on fire.

His act caused the cat to foam at the mouth. It also left the cat's face, neck and back badly burnt.

Chua Tuang Seng, a father of two, pleaded guilty to the charge and will have to serve a jail term of two months if he cannot pay the fine.

He committed the offence along the corridor outside his flat in Pasir Ris Drive on September 3 last year.

Chua was sprinkling kerosene around his potted plants to get rid of ants when he noticed the tabby cat hiding among the plants.

He believed the cat had defecated frequently outside his flat.

He used a broom to chase the cat away but it hid below a metal shelf.

Chua then squirted kerosene on it, lit a piece of newspaper and threw it towards the cat.

The badly-burnt animal was later found foaming at the mouth by the sister of its owner, Mdm Salman Mohd Aris.

The 49-year-old woman made a police report.

The cat was sent to Mt Pleasant Veterinary Centre for examination.

The cat suffered from swollen eyelids, skin loss at the neck, and singed fur and was hospitalised for four days.

Chua, who suffers from throat and colon cancer, pleaded for leniency.

District Judge Ng Peng Hong pointed out that Chua's act was "not right".

He ordered Chua to pay Mdm Salman S$1,235 as compensation for medical costs incurred as result of his act.

For the abuse, he could have been jailed up to a year and fined S$10,000.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC12...urs-cat-on-fire

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_792068.html

chuatuangseng-carolinechia.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

punishment is so light..its not surprising that animal abuse occurs often [:/]

↡ Advertisement

This b------d should have been forced to die in prison.

It will be soooo ironic if those men charged in the hooker case get custodial sentences when this old twat walked away with a slap on the wrist. Because this is truly the more heinous crime, committed against an actually defenceless, guileless, innocent creature! :angry:

It will be most instructive to see which sort of "pussy" our beyond-reproach justice system is more keen to protect. [rolleyes]

what's 3k to this man? let him have a taste of his own burning fire.... i will be more than willing to help the polis / judge are too busy, but he has to pay for the karosene, and clean up himself

• Praise 1

If we jail him, we have to pay for his cancer treatment right?

in fact taxpayers are paying for the free lodging/makan of those who are in changi hotel now. the work they do inside i doubt can bring in enough $$ to support themselves

I for once know the plight of Mr Chua.I pity him.I once got a neighbour who rares cats.The cat roam freely outside the coridor of our flat.They urinate and pangsai wherever they like.I think Mr Chua had enough of this b-------t and snaped....I think he is a good man.Pls don't hate him. [wave] [wave] [wave]

• Praise 1

i would buy those cockroaches sticky trap from Daiso and place it aroud my flower pot to catch lizards and cockroaches....sometimes moth and naughty animals.

Neutral Newbie

I wonder if someone sets him on fire the fine will be $3000 too? Poor cat, for the pain and agony. But theres always revenge in the hereafter. This man should be put away from society forever he will not hesitate to do it even on human if he got the chance

Edited by Baddata

Dear all.. I read the article yesterday.. felt tat he was let off too easily too light.. Thumbs upzz for TS to post his pic up.. To all ppl stay near his neighbour hood.. please do shame him on my behalf! I'm super piss!!!!!

He shall die alone and rot in hell...

Pray the cat recover well...

I for once know the plight of Mr Chua.I pity him.I once got a neighbour who rares cats.The cat roam freely outside the coridor of our flat.They urinate and pangsai wherever they like.I think Mr Chua had enough of this b-------t and snaped....I think he is a good man.Pls don't hate him. [wave] [wave] [wave]

There's no way, no reason he should set fire on a living thing...!