Where to find Good Mee Goreng?

Neutralsg

I used to enjoy good Indian mee goreng which used to be very tasty back in the 60s and 70s. However, I find it difficult to find similar tasty mee goreng today which at the same time tend to be more oily.

The earlier mee goreng had simple ingredients such as:

a) big onion

b) chye sim

c) potatoe

d) taukwa (yellow beancurd)

e) fresh tomato

f) green chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg.

However, today's mee goreng ingredients tend to consist of:

a) big onion

b) cabbage

c) corn

d) fish cake

e) prawn (yes and no)

f) potatoe

g) fresh green or red chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg

Apparently, the additional ingredients tend to have an adverse affect on the taste of today's mee goreng as opposed to what I used to have.

Therefore, can anyone recommend where good mee goreng can currently be found within Singapore as I've yet to find one to date?

Cheers! [wave]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Good luck trying to match food taste from older days. I'm still comparing and complaining a lot of dishes. Especially Malay food like mee Siam, mee rebus, mee soto and lontong. Can't seem to even find a decent nasi lemak nowadays. Either bland or too famous=expensive yet not up to expectation. You can try reading thru ieatishoot blog, they got quite a number of recommendations.

I go to beach road hawker centre to get my fix. I dunno the name of the stalls but it's at the basement, near to the staircase next to the rubbish dump,LOL...

The two stalls are always in competition, next to their stall is a Malay stall selling satay, mee robus, soto ayam etc, their ayam soup is good. All these food are actually quite heart stopping. I used to frequent the place, order drinks like avocado chocolate and things like mutton chop. Now I hardly go cos not very healthy. :D

Supercharged

Another one near Clementi is the Prata Planet opposite Clementi Police Headquarters, off Clementi Ave 4.

Their mee goreng is the 'white' kind, not the oren oren kind, and it's sedaaaap~!

Good luck trying to match food taste from older days. I'm still comparing and complaining a lot of dishes. Especially Malay food like mee Siam, mee rebus, mee soto and lontong. Can't seem to even find a decent nasi lemak nowadays. Either bland or too famous=expensive yet not up to expectation. You can try reading thru ieatishoot blog, they got quite a number of recommendations.

I am inclined to agree with you about the taste of today's food as opposed of the 60s-80s. While some may still have almost its original taste, some are no longer available as a result of as most original hawkers may have given up the business or retired. Even if they are passed down, the taste may not necessarily be the same as its original but could be fairly close. Taste could also be affected by simple ingredient such as chillies which, based on what is available today; hardly have the smell and spiciness expected from chillies.

Visited the ieatishoot blog and saw a pic of the mee goreng which doesn't look appealing and in comparison with what I used to have looked worlds apart.

Basically the previous one was dry and definitely less oily than the one below (taken from ieatishoot blog) which is commonly found today.

post-65674-1335490478_thumb.jpg

As regard other food, it may be best to discuss them in specific thread of the food.

Have a nice day! [wave]

Unless Singaporeans are willing to pay restaurant prices for hawker food, it will be most definitely be a lost trade and taste. Young people are not taking up this traditional trade, so the FTs are taking them and changes the recipe. Want good food and good service ? Please don't complain hawker prices go up, pay for what it's worth.

Let's be constructive in this thread since it is started with the basic objective of sharing best Indian mee goreng available in Singapore.

Thanks! and have a nice day! [wave]

Turbocharged

I used to enjoy good Indian mee goreng which used to be very tasty back in the 60s and 70s. However, I find it difficult to find similar tasty mee goreng today which at the same time tend to be more oily.

The earlier mee goreng had simple ingredients such as:

a) big onion

b) chye sim

c) potatoe

d) taukwa (yellow beancurd)

e) fresh tomato

f) green chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg.

However, today's mee goreng ingredients tend to consist of:

a) big onion

b) cabbage

c) corn

d) fish cake

e) prawn (yes and no)

f) potatoe

g) fresh green or red chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg

Apparently, the additional ingredients tend to have an adverse affect on the taste of today's mee goreng as opposed to what I used to have.

Therefore, can anyone recommend where good mee goreng can currently be found within Singapore as I've yet to find one to date?

Cheers! [wave]

How about Adam Food hawker center? I thought plenty of Indian mee goreng there?

Or everyone just go there for the nasi lemak stall?

I go to beach road hawker centre to get my fix. I dunno the name of the stalls but it's at the basement, near to the staircase next to the rubbish dump,LOL...

The two stalls are always in competition, next to their stall is a Malay stall selling satay, mee robus, soto ayam etc, their ayam soup is good. All these food are actually quite heart stopping. I used to frequent the place, order drinks like avocado chocolate and things like mutton chop. Now I hardly go cos not very healthy. :D

If you are referring to the indian stalls which sells tulang, I think it is somewhat similar to what is commonly available today. I'd been there and tried. I find the mee goreng at Marine Parade market and corner coffee shop stalls (which sells good fish curry) have better taste although it's a far cry from what I have in mind.

Talking about health, yeah, we need to avoid more high cholesterol food such as mutton chop, mutton soup. Perhaps, less intake of such food may help besides other usual steps such as exercising etc...

Have a nice day! [wave]

try the first stall at clementi food market near the mosque! taste like the ones from those at peninsula ss in the 80s!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll make an effort to visit and look see look see before deciding. [:)]

Let's be constructive in this thread since it is started with the basic objective of sharing best Indian mee goreng available in Singapore.

Thanks! and have a nice day! [wave]

:wub:

Wah, mod quality wor.....

Anyway, back to the topic, tried the kasuariba mee goreng, not bad too... Ex though...

Neutral Newbie

I think the stall Watwheels is referring to is Deen's Mee Goreng at Beach Rd hawker centre. Yes, one of my favorite mee goreng haunts!

Another one you can try is at Bedok Corner. Their mee goreng is also super sedap!

Another one near Clementi is the Prata Planet opposite Clementi Police Headquarters, off Clementi Ave 4.

Their mee goreng is the 'white' kind, not the oren oren kind, and it's sedaaaap~!

Yes. The 'white' kind is more of what it used to be and not the oren oren one. I guess it's the same one our bro Eviilusion recommends. [thumbsup]

This is reassuring. :D Thanks! and have a nice day! [wave]

How about Adam Food hawker center? I thought plenty of Indian mee goreng there?

Or everyone just go there for the nasi lemak stall?

Tried there long ago and didn't turn out what I have in mind.

(edited)

:wub:

Wah, mod quality wor.....

Anyway, back to the topic, tried the kasuariba mee goreng, not bad too... Ex though...

Honestly, price is not an issue for now and neither is price necessarily a guarantee to tasty mee goreng. So, where is kasuariba? Can provide the location or better still the address?

Thanks! [thumbsup]

Edited by Neutralsg

I think the stall Watwheels is referring to is Deen's Mee Goreng at Beach Rd hawker centre. Yes, one of my favorite mee goreng haunts!

Another one you can try is at Bedok Corner. Their mee goreng is also super sedap!

At Bedok Corner, there are a few stalls. Where's the particular stall you recommend? Nearer to the corner? Your super sedap is tempting! [laugh]

Supercharged

few places that i can think of, that have potentially good mee goreng.

Tekka market food centre (i think this shld be the most authentic due to high concentration of Indians there)

West Coast food centre (where they have famous indian rojak and nasi bryani)

Beach road market

Adam Road market - i suspect the standard drop like "lao sai" already

Supercharged

i always this mee goreng that i ate during my NS days where my Indian Vege army friend buy back for me. Its vegetarian mee goreng, and its taste damm bloody good.

the ingredients are exactly the same as what you listed here. not like now, u see fish cake and whatnots in it

And there was many many moons ago.......

↡ Advertisement