Where to find Good Mee Goreng?

Neutralsg

few places that i can think of, that have potentially good mee goreng.

Tekka market food centre (i think this shld be the most authentic due to high concentration of Indians there)

West Coast food centre (where they have famous indian rojak and nasi bryani)

Beach road market

Adam Road market - i suspect the standard drop like "lao sai" already

Usually, I'll look at the color and the appeal of the mee goreng served to other customers or the picture they put up at their stalls before deciding.

Often, looking at customer's plate is more accurate for the expectation than the picture which I was one deceived and despite paying $4.00 (an Indian coffeshop at Holland Drive), I couldn't go on with the 3rd spoonful.

Hence, while the picture looked heavenly, the taste was hellish. [laugh]

Nowadays, most of them either look too oily or reddish. I prefer the pale and drier ones which is fairly difficult to find.

↡ Advertisement

You're right. I grew up at beach road. The original taste of mee goreng is not there anymore. The old uncle who fried my favorite mee goreng is in heaven. The new ones are very oily.

Yeah. You are right. Mee goreng taste of the past no longer seems available today.

The one I had used to be at Bedok Corner when Bedok Resthouse and beach were still around. There were small makeshift hawker stalls under a big angsana tree at the bend of the road before the army camp was built.

The mama (whom I fondly remember) had retired or may have passed on since he is likely to be in his 70s / 80s by now. Thus far, I've yet to find one who can match his standard. Hence, my search for one which can somewhat be close to the taste I used to have.

Cheers! and have a nice day! [wave]

i always this mee goreng that i ate during my NS days where my Indian Vege army friend buy back for me. Its vegetarian mee goreng, and its taste damm bloody good.

the ingredients are exactly the same as what you listed here. not like now, u see fish cake and whatnots in it

And there was many many moons ago.......

Problem is, besides fish cake, minced meat can also be part of the ingredient now which makes the taste different. Therefore, by any chance you come across a good mee goreng worth recommendation, please post it here so that I can go and consider trying.

Thanks! and have a nice day! [wave]

Neutral Newbie

You should go to the food centre at circuit road. I think there's only 1 indian food stall there. The stall is the first along the road. It's near to the ATM machines.

The mee goreng there tastes like those back in the old days. Like you, I've gone all over the island looking for the old mee goreng type. Sadly, most Indian food stall now are run buy new gens or FTs. This stall is family run. Even the young guy can cook as well as the older ones. Nowadays, I have my lunch there at least twice a week. Enjoying it before it disappears forever. Hopefully that won't happen!

Honestly, price is not an issue for now and neither is price necessarily a guarantee to tasty mee goreng. So, where is kasuariba? Can provide the location or better still the address?

Thanks! [thumbsup]

Sorry for the typo, it's kasuarina at the junction upper thomson road and yio chu kang road.

You should go to the food centre at circuit road. I think there's only 1 indian food stall there. The stall is the first along the road. It's near to the ATM machines.

The mee goreng there tastes like those back in the old days. Like you, I've gone all over the island looking for the old mee goreng type. Sadly, most Indian food stall now are run buy new gens or FTs. This stall is family run. Even the young guy can cook as well as the older ones. Nowadays, I have my lunch there at least twice a week. Enjoying it before it disappears forever. Hopefully that won't happen!

Thank you so much Glitched! [thumbsup] I'll make an effort to go there within next week and will share my experience if I managed to do so.

Cheers! and have a nice day. [sunny]

I used to enjoy good Indian mee goreng which used to be very tasty back in the 60s and 70s. However, I find it difficult to find similar tasty mee goreng today which at the same time tend to be more oily.

The earlier mee goreng had simple ingredients such as:

a) big onion

b) chye sim

c) potatoe

d) taukwa (yellow beancurd)

e) fresh tomato

f) green chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg.

However, today's mee goreng ingredients tend to consist of:

a) big onion

b) cabbage

c) corn

d) fish cake

e) prawn (yes and no)

f) potatoe

g) fresh green or red chilli

fried together with tomato and red chilli sauce and with or without egg

Apparently, the additional ingredients tend to have an adverse affect on the taste of today's mee goreng as opposed to what I used to have.

Therefore, can anyone recommend where good mee goreng can currently be found within Singapore as I've yet to find one to date?

Cheers! [wave]

Yes yes...with tomato ketchap pour on cucumber...Whoa..shiok man..slurp.....

Edited by Tonyg

(edited)

Sorry for the typo, it's kasuarina at the junction upper thomson road and yio chu kang road.

I was brought there by my kids and may have missed trying out the mee goreng as we had some other food. Will make a trip there someday and check out.

Thanks for the clarification. [thumbsup]

Edited by Neutralsg

Yes yes...with tomato ketchap pour on cucumber...Whoa..shiok man..slurp.....

Trying to make me salivate issit?? [laugh] Ya man. Sounds shiok [bounce1]

Have a nice day! [sunny] Gotta go now. [wave]

I was brought there by my kids and may have missed trying out the mee goreng as we had some other food. Will make a trip there someday and check out.

Thanks for the clarification. [thumbsup]

No problem.... I love the chunks of mutton meat on the mee goreng...

The best mee goreng I had was in Malaysia. Its at a fishing village kampung, Tanjong Sedili. The other was the maggi mee goreng at Brinchang, Cameron Highlands.

Locally, most are just so-so only. The one at beach rd, tried it before, last yr. Not that nice and definately not the old type of mee goreng. Its modern type and served on disposable foam plates + fork n spoon.

Bro. my suggestion is to cook your own. NOTHING outside now will come close to the OLD taste, of which effort and time in preparation was of the essence.

Your rampa for frying is key.

Simple rampa, use a blender. Dry chili, wet chili, small onions, ginger, blue ginger, turmeric, birdseye chili for more fire,

lemongrass , balachan and oil for frying. Fry till dark red, (oil can bee seen separated) you can choose to make a bigger batch for future use, keeping chiller, so long as you don't use a wet spoon to dig the rampa, it'll keep long and good.

the noodles use must buy those that don't have a lot of "kee" in them. (smell and taste) 500g

Potatoes to be blanched in slightly salted water with skin on. (washed prior) soaked in ice water, skin removed and diced.

Frozen green peas.

Small amount of diced garlic (1/2 teaspoons)

Shredded chicken breast (blenched)

Chye sim (fry stems first for 2mins) leaves last.

Tau Gay (last to add in)

Chopped green and red chills (seeds removed if can't take so spicy)

Diced raw tomatoes

Tau kwa (dice and fry them prior, 2-4 mins in oil max. or slightly golden brown)

Dark soya sauce (1/2 teaspoon)

2 tablespoons tomato ketchup. (Delmont brand please)

2 big red onions roughly chopped.

4 eggs.

You can choose to either use vegetable oil or pork lard.

Fry garlic, onions, 5-6mins, add in frozen green peas, after frying for 10mins, (defrosted and cooked, use frozen to retain flavor)

add in chye sim stalks, rampa, fry till aromatic.

Add noodles in, stir fry for 10-15mins. High heat

Add in rest of cooked ingredients and raw tomatoes. Mix well,

Break in the eggs and fry till all cooked, add dark sauce and tomato ketchup now, and you will have potstickers, use spatula to scrape off. 10-15mins frying, all done.

This will be the traditional taste you're looking for,

bon appetit bro. Beats any stall out there hands down.

The best mee goreng I had was in Malaysia. Its at a fishing village kampung, Tanjong Sedili. The other was the maggi mee goreng at Brinchang, Cameron Highlands.

Locally, most are just so-so only. The one at beach rd, tried it before, last yr. Not that nice and definately not the old type of mee goreng. Its modern type and served on disposable foam plates + fork n spoon.

Don't know where that is lah but wished I can make a trip there since it's a fishing village which should be a nice place to hang out at least for half if not a day.

As regard Brinchang, it is unlikely I'll make another trip there because it's far and there's nothing more for me to experience in CH.

You are right to say local mee goreng are just so-so. Hence, I hope to be lucky to find one which bros can share for a possibility of a good old mee goreng.

Have a nice day! [wave]

The best mee goreng I have eaten would be from the malay stall in my primary school Rosyth. Used to sell for 50cts, 70cts or 1 dollar portion. Super shiok with the lime provided. It was dry and coated with spices.

Sadly that was more than 20 years ago..

(edited)

Bro. my suggestion is to cook your own. NOTHING outside now will come close to the OLD taste, of which effort and time in preparation was of the essence.

Your rampa for frying is key.

Simple rampa, use a blender. Dry chili, wet chili, small onions, ginger, blue ginger, turmeric, birdseye chili for more fire,

lemongrass , balachan and oil for frying. Fry till dark red, (oil can bee seen separated) you can choose to make a bigger batch for future use, keeping chiller, so long as you don't use a wet spoon to dig the rampa, it'll keep long and good.

the noodles use must buy those that don't have a lot of "kee" in them. (smell and taste) 500g

Potatoes to be blanched in slightly salted water with skin on. (washed prior) soaked in ice water, skin removed and diced.

Frozen green peas.

Small amount of diced garlic (1/2 teaspoons)

Shredded chicken breast (blenched)

Chye sim (fry stems first for 2mins) leaves last.

Tau Gay (last to add in)

Chopped green and red chills (seeds removed if can't take so spicy)

Diced raw tomatoes

Tau kwa (dice and fry them prior, 2-4 mins in oil max. or slightly golden brown)

Dark soya sauce (1/2 teaspoon)

2 tablespoons tomato ketchup. (Delmont brand please)

2 big red onions roughly chopped.

4 eggs.

You can choose to either use vegetable oil or pork lard.

Fry garlic, onions, 5-6mins, add in frozen green peas, after frying for 10mins, (defrosted and cooked, use frozen to retain flavor)

add in chye sim stalks, rampa, fry till aromatic.

Add noodles in, stir fry for 10-15mins. High heat

Add in rest of cooked ingredients and raw tomatoes. Mix well,

Break in the eggs and fry till all cooked, add dark sauce and tomato ketchup now, and you will have potstickers, use spatula to scrape off. 10-15mins frying, all done.

This will be the traditional taste you're looking for,

bon appetit bro. Beats any stall out there hands down.

Thank you Bro! [thumbsup] You must be a great cook from the recipe (yeah - mee with too much kee is anyway unhealthy) you provide and the way you described its preparation and procedure. I have tried cooking some food which are not available outside and did try cooking mee goreng myself which I think is sufficiently edible; :Dwhich seemed better than the worse available out there. [laugh] Can only compare with the worse lah.

Anyway, I dislike having meat in mee goreng and will definitely try out your method when there is an opportunity for me to do so because I'm the only one in the household who will yearn for such food.

Thanks again [thumbsup] for the receipe and have a great weekend! [sunny]

Edited by Neutralsg

The best mee goreng I have eaten would be from the malay stall in my primary school Rosyth. Used to sell for 50cts, 70cts or 1 dollar portion. Super shiok with the lime provided. It was dry and coated with spices.

Sadly that was more than 20 years ago..

I was quite excited when I read your 1st paragraph [bounce1] until I read your last sentence. [bigcry]

Nevertheless, have a great weekend! [wave]

Thank you Bro! [thumbsup] You must be a great cook from the recipe (yeah - mee with too much kee is anyway unhealthy) you provide and the way you described its preparation and procedure. I have tried cooking some food which are not available outside and did try cooking mee goreng myself which I think is sufficiently edible; :Dwhich seemed better than the worse available out there. [laugh] Can only compare with the worse lah.

Anyway, I dislike having meat in mee goreng and will definitely try out your method when there is an opportunity for me to do so because I'm the only one in the household who will yearn for such food.

Thanks again [thumbsup] for the receipe and have a great weekend! [sunny]

Bro, cook smaller potion, drop shredded chicken breast if you want. You can keep this in the chiller for 4-5 days in a airtight container, and when you want it again, 4mins high heat microwave.

On the topic of all food good and missed. Mee Rubus is no longer what it was 30-40yrs ago. They used to have those fried Cherry shrimp on the top of the mee rubus, teaspoon of sambal chili, half a kalimasi lemon and freshly chopped coriander.

(Cherry shrimp aka Cincalok)

Weekend bro. wahahaha.....Ayam buah keluak, cooked Wednesday night, soaked in the marinate, kept chilled, ready tomorrow! :D

Bro, cook smaller potion, drop shredded chicken breast if you want. You can keep this in the chiller for 4-5 days in a airtight container, and when you want it again, 4mins high heat microwave.

On the topic of all food good and missed. Mee Rubus is no longer what it was 30-40yrs ago. They used to have those fried Cherry shrimp on the top of the mee rubus, teaspoon of sambal chili, half a kalimasi lemon and freshly chopped coriander.

(Cherry shrimp aka Cincalok)

Weekend bro. wahahaha.....Ayam buah keluak, cooked Wednesday night, soaked in the marinate, kept chilled, ready tomorrow! :D

I didnt know u are cook too. :huh:

↡ Advertisement