Where to find Good Mee Goreng?

Neutralsg

Bro, cook smaller potion, drop shredded chicken breast if you want. You can keep this in the chiller for 4-5 days in a airtight container, and when you want it again, 4mins high heat microwave.

On the topic of all food good and missed. Mee Rubus is no longer what it was 30-40yrs ago. They used to have those fried Cherry shrimp on the top of the mee rubus, teaspoon of sambal chili, half a kalimasi lemon and freshly chopped coriander.

(Cherry shrimp aka Cincalok)

Weekend bro. wahahaha.....Ayam buah keluak, cooked Wednesday night, soaked in the marinate, kept chilled, ready tomorrow! :D

Bro, making me 'jealous' har with your ayam buah keluak? [sly]

Anyway, talking about mee rebus, the old tasty ones are often with obvious taste of mutton lard. Very fragrant and shiok! [thumbsup] Used to have them when the one at Siglap was still around.

Now, there is one stall at New Upp Changi Road hawker center blk 58 which is fairly good. It's the 2nd stall and usually long queue. Have you tried there? The gravy could have been close to the good old days taste, if it had more mutton lard. Sells from $1.20 (for students) up to $2.00 for adults.

About cincalok, any idea where we can get fresh ones in SG or MY? It's good for haypia.

Anyway, enjoy your food, weekend. [kiss]

I didnt know u are cook too. :huh:

You've seen my wife lah, you think she can cook meh? [laugh] [laugh]

My family, only myself took over the reins of my Peranakan heritage,

cooking was forced onto me at 6yrs old, started with pounding of spices and

slowly but surely, it lead to the preparation of ingredients and finally cook.

The bibik of the house, (my granny) would never let me off, so did my aunties.

I still yearn for good food, it's only good when it's self prepared to your preference of

perfection. TCSS last mu I cook mutton rendang and dry mee siam. Next one will have

Nonya ngoh hiang. :D

I didnt know u are cook too. :huh:

He must be a good cook lah. One thing I strongly believe is, he is better than I can ever be since I don't cook as often. [:p]

I still yearn for good food, it's only good when it's self prepared to your preference of

perfection. TCSS last mu I cook mutton rendang and dry mee siam. Next one will have

Me also from peranakan family but my granny went to heaven before I was even born. Never learned to cook but was fed full full of peranakan food from my mum n aunties. Long time never had true peranakan food. Apart from the chendol at East Coast road.

How is it that I get the feeling the taste of your Peranakan food is highly likely better than Peramakan, Cili Padi restaurants. :D

Do you prepare wet mee siam too? If so, does it include asam (tamarind juice)?

Sorry to OT from the thread but discussing preparation of such local food is simply too tempting to miss.

As regard mee goreng, I'll collate the info available and post it here later for the benefit of those with same yen for good mee goreng.

Supercharged

Bro. my suggestion is to cook your own. NOTHING outside now will come close to the OLD taste, of which effort and time in preparation was of the essence.

Your rampa for frying is key.

Simple rampa, use a blender. Dry chili, wet chili, small onions, ginger, blue ginger, turmeric, birdseye chili for more fire,

lemongrass , balachan and oil for frying. Fry till dark red, (oil can bee seen separated) you can choose to make a bigger batch for future use, keeping chiller, so long as you don't use a wet spoon to dig the rampa, it'll keep long and good.

the noodles use must buy those that don't have a lot of "kee" in them. (smell and taste) 500g

Potatoes to be blanched in slightly salted water with skin on. (washed prior) soaked in ice water, skin removed and diced.

Frozen green peas.

Small amount of diced garlic (1/2 teaspoons)

Shredded chicken breast (blenched)

Chye sim (fry stems first for 2mins) leaves last.

Tau Gay (last to add in)

Chopped green and red chills (seeds removed if can't take so spicy)

Diced raw tomatoes

Tau kwa (dice and fry them prior, 2-4 mins in oil max. or slightly golden brown)

Dark soya sauce (1/2 teaspoon)

2 tablespoons tomato ketchup. (Delmont brand please)

2 big red onions roughly chopped.

4 eggs.

You can choose to either use vegetable oil or pork lard.

Fry garlic, onions, 5-6mins, add in frozen green peas, after frying for 10mins, (defrosted and cooked, use frozen to retain flavor)

add in chye sim stalks, rampa, fry till aromatic.

Add noodles in, stir fry for 10-15mins. High heat

Add in rest of cooked ingredients and raw tomatoes. Mix well,

Break in the eggs and fry till all cooked, add dark sauce and tomato ketchup now, and you will have potstickers, use spatula to scrape off. 10-15mins frying, all done.

This will be the traditional taste you're looking for,

bon appetit bro. Beats any stall out there hands down.

I already have the sense that you are a peranakan person when i read your above post (you mentioned "rampa"). I'm a peranankan too!! LOL

but i cant cook lah.... my mother is a good cook, but i'm not talented to learn from her. LOL

Supercharged

I only knew he had a little crab crawling on his shoulder. [laugh]

that's just a little "hei bi" on his shoulder lah. Always taking cover in cookhouse

Bro, making me 'jealous' har with your ayam buah keluak? [sly]

Anyway, talking about mee rebus, the old tasty ones are often with obvious taste of mutton lard. Very fragrant and shiok! [thumbsup] Used to have them when the one at Siglap was still around.

Now, there is one stall at New Upp Changi Road hawker center blk 58 which is fairly good. It's the 2nd stall and usually long queue. Have you tried there? The gravy could have been close to the good old days taste, if it had more mutton lard. Sells from $1.20 (for students) up to $2.00 for adults.

About cincalok, any idea where we can get fresh ones in SG or MY? It's good for haypia.

Anyway, enjoy your food, weekend. [kiss]

Yes bro, the Mee Rubus MUST die die have "kambing lemak" if not, forget it. I don't eat out bro. all self cooked, my food doesn't go into such, as it's always meat and no veggie, (Primal) such is only a "Once in a blue moon" or as requested by my family.

Cincalok two places. Malacca, not Jonkers, but the little stall just next to the Chinese Temple after Jonker's street. (passable)

Penang will be Chowrasta Market, from the bus stop, the second stall on the right. I get my balachan from them, and also my

buah keluak. If I run out of balachan, they will send via mail to me. Old customer lah. [blush] (I normally will buy 10-15 sticks, can last me a very long time) Buah keluak, I got like 500 pieces the last time I went. [laugh] Hard to find here and expensive as well.

Now MCF change to "My Cooking Forum" [laugh]

Yes bro, the Mee Rubus MUST die die have "kambing lemak" if not, forget it. I don't eat out bro. all self cooked, my food doesn't go into such, as it's always meat and no veggie, (Primal) such is only a "Once in a blue moon" or as requested by my family.

Cincalok two places. Malacca, not Jonkers, but the little stall just next to the Chinese Temple after Jonker's street. (passable)

Penang will be Chowrasta Market, from the bus stop, the second stall on the right. I get my balachan from them, and also my

buah keluak. If I run out of balachan, they will send via mail to me. Old customer lah. [blush] (I normally will buy 10-15 sticks, can last me a very long time) Buah keluak, I got like 500 pieces the last time I went. [laugh] Hard to find here and expensive as well.

Now MCF change to "My Cooking Forum" [laugh]

no lah with you, my Charcoal Forum [:p]

He must be a good cook lah. One thing I strongly believe is, he is better than I can ever be since I don't cook as often. [:p]

No bro,. there is always another mountain higher. Practice and passion makes good food. :D

Me also from peranakan family but my granny went to heaven before I was even born. Never learned to cook but was fed full full of peranakan food from my mum n aunties. Long time never had true peranakan food. Apart from the chendol at East Coast road.

Ask you come our MU you dowan.

How is it that I get the feeling the taste of your Peranakan food is highly likely better than Peramakan, Cili Padi restaurants. :D

Do you prepare wet mee siam too? If so, does it include asam (tamarind juice)?

Sorry to OT from the thread but discussing preparation of such local food is simply too tempting to miss.

As regard mee goreng, I'll collate the info available and post it here later for the benefit of those with same yen for good mee goreng.

I don't use MSG bro. that's the difference.

Wet or dry mee siam, you will need asam, either way, cannot escape, if not it will not taste a tinge like mee siam.

Apart form that Kalimasi lime juice is a must. I don't sting on ingredients. Very important. Lime juice will be last, wet or dry,

overcooking the lime juice will remove the aromatic smell of the lime, sourness, which is what makes people "drool" at the whiff of the mee siam, dry or wet. Also, it's not spring onions, Koo Chye.

I already have the sense that you are a peranakan person when i read your above post (you mentioned "rampa"). I'm a peranankan too!! LOL

but i cant cook lah.... my mother is a good cook, but i'm not talented to learn from her. LOL

Did you have a go at the dry mee siam and rendang at the last MU?

You should learn from your mum. Bro. our culture and tradition cannot be lost.

Yeah...I make my wife wear kerbaya. CHAN TAK!! [laugh]:wub:

↡ Advertisement