"Tok" sound when braking

Passion

As above. Can any bro/sis who had similar experience to share? My car is Corolla Altis(2008) model. Just change front brake pad recently. When slowing down, especially when car is slow, it will have a "tok" sound before coming to a stop. It is a on and off issue, therefore I hardly can pin point the problem. When I driving fast and come to a stop, it will be ok. Anyone with similar experience?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

i have similiar experience. On and off. sometime going over hump up and down at relatively low speed. will have this tok tok sound. do you have such similiar problem like mine? recently i just posted a thread on the tok tok sound when crossing over hump. Also on uneven round sometimes will have this sound too.

Edited by MkMan

My brake also tok, but is from speed of 60km/h. But my brake pad pretty thick.... What with all this tok tok sound

i have similiar experience. On and off. sometime going over hump up and down at relatively low speed. will have this tok tok sound. do you have such similiar problem like mine? recently i just posted a thread on the tok tok sound when crossing over hump. Also on uneven round sometimes will have this sound too.

Maybe is from the suspension coil.

I Experience the same problem too for my Chevy

The sound comes the back near the fuel tank I reckon

I hear this when I am

About to come to a complete stop

Turbocharged
(edited)

does it become more obvious after raining?

i have sound only when driving after raining.

Edited by Joseph22

does it become more obvious after raining?

i have sound only when driving after raining.

No.. Normal driving will have such sound. To make it worse, it happen on and off, difficult to locate where the sound comes from.

I also don't know what is the problem. Brought it back to the mechanic who change the brake pad for me. He said the old pad has expanded the catch, so the new pad fitted in will be a little loose. Thus, it will have the Tok sound. He expand the clip of the brake pad and pull some grease on the brake plate, now the Tok sound is resolved.

I have had tok sound coming from all angles. These are the things I learnt, of course paid tuition fees, from the workshop :

(1) Tok sound when going over hump. Sound coming from the front, the front shock absorber top mounting has cracked. Top mounting is the piece that join the shock absorber to the car chassis. It is also the location where you install the strut bar to. Change that and no problem. As a matter of fact, I changed both shock absorbers as well.

(2) Tok sound coming from the back when braking at slow speed. The drum brake was serviced and no more sound after that.

Realised these sounds are somehow related to the suspension system.

Hope these will help a bit. [:)]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I had tok sound too when moving off, moving slowly and turning. workshop said the mounting for shock absorber going to spoil or spoiled. but after they jack up the car and shake the front tire to show me the mounting is loose, i never hear the tok sound again [:|]

Edited by Erinio

Good info bros. thanks. my tok sound when going over hump have not resolve yet. is it neccessary to replace the front shocks?

i have a tok sound while turning. it only happens when the ground is uneven, example on a incline, it happens on both forwards and backwards. i have change the top mounting and shock absorbers, any ideas?

the recent trip to rectify the problem points out to the part of the control arm that rotates freely with the steering angle. while it is cheap to replace, my mech cant be sure that is the problem.

Good info bros. thanks. my tok sound when going over hump have not resolve yet. is it neccessary to replace the front shocks?

Troubleshoot first. First, isolate the problem. Is the sound coming from front or back? Going over the hump and Tok sound, likely is shocks is spoil. My last time Mazda 2 facing this issue. If not shocks spoil, then it is the suspension arm. Change out this two and see how. Should be able to resolve the issue.

↡ Advertisement