Poll --- No More COE. but ERP $30 per entry.

No More COE??  

310 members have voted

1. 1. No More COE?

• YES, Good idea
    • No, you stupid fool!

Twincharged
(edited)

Should do something like gps erp. Just pay everytime you drive. Then at the same time still have COE. Sure have lesser people want to drive.

Edited by Nzy
↡ Advertisement

Should do something like gps erp. Just pay everytime you drive. Then at the same time still have COE. Sure have lesser people want to drive.

GPS if got cloud cover how?? free to drive

[laugh] [laugh]

if they implement such thing, they gotta find a way to compensate those paid the COE... not a good idea

GPS is not always accurate too, with right weather conditions, tall buildings, etc.

(edited)

if they implement such thing, they gotta find a way to compensate those paid the COE... not a good idea

Refund the unused COE in stages, OR keep 10k as deposit for ERP charges.

Edited by New_Atlantis

Supersonic
(edited)

Did they compensate those who lost money when the property market fell?

And there we're talking about a roof over someone's head. Cars are 'wants', not 'needs'. There's no need to shield people from market fluctuations or policy changes to that extent.

Scrap or export cars can get back residual COE value, right?

The only people it will screw big time are the used car dealers. Business will just dry up for a while. But that's too bad. Call it payback for all the rolled-back odos. [sly][laugh]

I really support this (or any seriously prohibitive road-pricing scheme) because it hits the root of the problem - cars on the road - with a nuke. I would be happier if it was extended to all roads, not just the CBD, in the form of more gantries or a GPS based system.

To those who want this AND the other taxes including COE to run concurrently, I say - that's not very wise. Once people have plonked down a huge load of cash or taken a huge loan for a car, they want to drive it. The roads will remain as congested as ever. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, right? So the smart solution is to make owning cars dirt cheap, but driving them really, really expensive.

About the businesses that need to drive - I've suggested giving them special tax rebates in my earlier posts on this topic. That will help to avoid inflation in basic goods and services. Besides, if the road charges are metered properly, there shouldn't be any additional costs for the companies since the extra amount they pay for driving in a business capacity should be offset by the savings in having bought their fleet of vehicles without additional taxes or COEs. And any residual excess can be addressed by the aforesaid tax rebates. [:)]

Edited by Turboflat4

How about fix the COE at $10k, but charge $10-20 for ERP?

Usually piecewise/partial taxation works best.

Supersonic

There's really no need for COE, since there's no need for a quota on cars. People can buy cars as long as they don't *drive* them on Sg roads.

Twincharged

There's really no need for COE, since there's no need for a quota on cars. People can buy cars as long as they don't *drive* them on Sg roads.

Still need a quota la. Imagine now the whole Singapore every family buys a car. Where to park? They don't drive also need somewhere to park.

if there's no COE, then the number of cars would inflate, and many many more roads would have a ERP price. Do you guys really think that allowing people to buy cars cheap but almost any trip would require $10-$30 ERP to be ideal? All the complaints would come in, and the anti-government sentiment would be very much stronger...

...anyway, I'm glad to see that the people who think this is an idea of a "stupid fool" is in the majority...

fixed COE then it's more a tax than a COE. Such a low "COE" would be as good as not having one...

And there we're talking about a roof over someone's head. Cars are 'wants', not 'needs'. There's no need to shield people from market fluctuations or policy changes to that extent.

I really support this (or any seriously prohibitive road-pricing scheme) because it hits the root of the problem - cars on the road - with a nuke. I would be happier if it was extended to all roads, not just the CBD, in the form of more gantries or a GPS based system.

I keep hearing/seeing people say that buying a car is a want and not a need. But they seem to forget that Travelling is a need. The public transport system is already jam packed. Having a $10-$30 COE has the objective of forcing more people into the trains/buses. The need of travelling will not be met.

If less cars drive into CBD, then there will be many empty lots lor !! :D

non CBD areas are not the problem, the problem are the heavy traffic flows during peak hours.

the expressways are crawing during these timing.

i dunno where you stay, but parking in residential areas is already a problem.

Actually i dont like the idea of GPS ERP, big brother always watching...

i think the heartlands don't need to impliment this system as the traffic is stil ok.

...and traffic is already NOT ok in the heartlands. They have already realised the need to upgrade the SLE/TPE/CTE links at the north of the island... your suggestion of revoking the COE system will only exacerbate the situation...

(edited)

I voted for "No, you stupid fool" because...without COE...

1. There is not enough car park. The next thing you know, hdb will be charging season parking at $900/month, not $90/month, simply because everybody is leaving their car at home. After all, if there is no coe, people who previously bought 1 car can now afford 2-3 cars, so WHERE CAN THEY PARK THEIR CARS? Cannot use doesn't mean people won't buy...

2. If the goverment knows that people are willing to pay for $30 erp...instead of using $30 erp to replace COE, OUR DEAR PAP will just impose the $30/gantry charge, IN ADDITION TO COE.

So end of the day, people who cannot afford car will still not be able to do so. The only party that will benefit from this is OUR DEAR GOVERMENT, whose only solution to everything is increase price, increase price and increase price...

Edited by Zyklon

I agree on the inconvinence traveling between woodlands and Pasir Ris. BUT!!!

The problem is the over crowding in town areas., AND this areas have fantistic public transport.... You can get to town by bus mrt or taxi easy!! no need to drive!! or if needed go during off peak hours.. long run if you can plan your time well you save money, and have a car for emergencies or weekend drives.

you're kidding, right? public transport to town is easy from woodlands / pasir ris???...

...are you working at all? suka suka choose to travel during off peak hours???...

Yes, but you can still own a nice car. but now you get the option of saving your cash by taking bus/ taxi. or drive if you really need to.

If you pay lump sum for the COE, you die die must drive to get better milage on the COE.

...you very farnie... people say $30 ERP is too much, you say they can buy a nice car... buy for what??? display ah???

I still think the solution is to decentralise the entire Singapore in a big way... it's done in dribs and drabs now, but it should be a revamp of the national URA plan...

This will allow the most number of cars on our roads and alleviate the use of public transport. My friend keeps reminding me that he just takes 20 minutes to travel from his home in Tiong Bahru to his workplace in Yishun. I can't even travel in the opposite direction with twice the time...

↡ Advertisement