More time for those with disabilities to cross roads

Darthrevan

Supercharged

Some 7,000 pedestrians with disabilities will soon have more time to cross the road, as the Land Transport Authority (LTA) yesterday announced an extension of the Green Man Plus scheme to 235 pedestrian crossings in 13 housing estates.

The scheme works with the aid of a concession card that pedestrians can use to tap on a specially designed card reader, which will trigger the addition of more time - between three and 12 seconds - for the pedestrian to cross. New features of the system include a larger sensor area.

A new card will also be rolled out for pedestrians with disabilities and these cards are expected to be ready later this month. It will feature the text, Green Man Plus, in Braille so that users with visual disabilities will be able to identify the correct card to use. Currently, only the elderly can activate the system with their purple senior citizen card.

The LTA's move was welcomed by voluntary welfare organisations yesterday. "It's a good idea and it shows that the authorities are considering ways to improve the lives of the elderly and disabled," said Disabled People's Association president Nicholas Aw.

Ms Joyce Wong, senior assistant director for rehabilitation services at the Society for the Physically Disabled (SPD), hopes the scheme would eventually be made available at all traffic lights.

She also urged the LTA to consider opening up the scheme to families with young children, or children with behavioural issues due to their disabilities.

Sites at Bukit Merah, Outram, Chinatown and Queenstown will be among the first to be fitted with the system. Other estates that the scheme will be extended to include Geylang, Hougang, Kallang, Marine Parade, Rochor and Tampines. Estates, such as Ang Mo Kio, Bedok and Toa Payoh, were chosen due to their high elderly population.

The entire project is slated for completion in 2014 with a cost of S$11,000 per crossing.

Beyond the extension of the scheme, Mr Aw felt that the LTA could do better in the design of pedestrian crossings to aid pedestrians with disabilities. He cited the junction near Telok Ayer Market, where pedestrians could walk diagonally across the junction, as an example.

Ms Wong, meanwhile, felt that authorities could look at providing alternative routes for people with disabilities if it rains. Both added that road safety campaigns and public education on graciousness would also be helpful.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC12...-to-cross-roads

o9eYf.jpg

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I'm not against this idea but I heard the news that some only add 3 sec ....3 sec is enough for just 3 steps....what's the point?

Edited by LoverofCar

Supercharged

I'm not against this idea but I heard the news that some only add 3 sec ....3 sec is enough for just 3 steps....what's the point?

3 seconds might not be much..but it may save the life of some other pedestrians..on a side note yesterday i dined at Geylang and saw a small lorry swerved and hit a van and also hit a pedestrian at the traffic light, causing him to fly few meters away! :wacko:

AIXKe.jpg

Twincharged

I am not against this. But then sometimes it gets frustrating when some people press the button already see no car then jay walk. End up you have to stop at the pedestrian crossing when there is no one crossing at all. Normally notice these are the old people cuz they think they won't have time to cross so when no car faster start walking first.

Turbocharged

I am not against this. But then sometimes it gets frustrating when some people press the button already see no car then jay walk. End up you have to stop at the pedestrian crossing when there is no one crossing at all. Normally notice these are the old people cuz they think they won't have time to cross so when no car faster start walking first.

normally i tell my wife when i see empty pedestrian at red light.

"for ghost to walk" [laugh]

Just a black box with a RFID sensor inside and some PCB with some logic circuit to add on the delay of the changing of light. Like that cost $11000? KNN bluff who?

Supersonic

I'm guilty of doing this too, but what would you expect the pedestrian to do? No cars, still wait for green man? OK, I know that's the legal thing to do, but who would actually do it, especially if in a hurry?

We should have a cancellation button, so we can cancel the signal once on the other side. But this is also risky in case another pedestrian makes an assumption and starts crossing, only to be caught in the middle. Failsafes need to be builtin, like delays and sensors. In the end, the system will become costly, unreliable and ultimately pointless. So as a driver, I accept that sometimes, I just have to wait for no good reason. :D

(edited)

Just a black box with a RFID sensor inside and some PCB with some logic circuit to add on the delay of the changing of light. Like that cost $11000? KNN bluff who?

LoonyToonsA kana CHOP carrot head?or got ppl jiak $?

Edited by Unidentified

Twincharged

I'm guilty of doing this too, but what would you expect the pedestrian to do? No cars, still wait for green man? OK, I know that's the legal thing to do, but who would actually do it, especially if in a hurry?

We should have a cancellation button, so we can cancel the signal once on the other side. But this is also risky in case another pedestrian makes an assumption and starts crossing, only to be caught in the middle. Failsafes need to be builtin, like delays and sensors. In the end, the system will become costly, unreliable and ultimately pointless. So as a driver, I accept that sometimes, I just have to wait for no good reason. :D

IMO if in a rush and you know you'll probably jay walk then just don't press lo. That is what I always do. Unless someone else before me already pressed. If I am not in a rush I'll just wait till the green man lights up if I pressed the button.

to a person that is PD.... 3 secs is alot

Supersonic

IMO if in a rush and you know you'll probably jay walk then just don't press lo. That is what I always do. Unless someone else before me already pressed. If I am not in a rush I'll just wait till the green man lights up if I pressed the button.

That's what I do too. IF the road is already very clear. But what often happens is still got cars -> press -> cars clear but red man still on -> jaywalk lo. A lot of it has to do with the delay before the system reluctantly responds to the button.

Turbocharged

LoonyToonsA kana CHOP carrot head?or got ppl jiak $?

jiak $ this word very sensitive to cheng hu lang.

235 X S$11,000 = S$2,585,000.

cheap leh. why you complain?

Add another "0" then call expensive

Twincharged

That's what I do too. IF the road is already very clear. But what often happens is still got cars -> press -> cars clear but red man still on -> jaywalk lo. A lot of it has to do with the delay before the system reluctantly responds to the button.

Ya. That one no choice. But then i notice nowadays got some improvement. The pedestrian crossings near my area now all respond quite fast when someone presses the button. Less than 20s.

yes,u are right.the amount is even less than their annual wage.

Turbocharged

they got make sure its IP is correct for singapore weather or not?

if not later spoilt after 1 rain [laugh]