Change of new KYB excel G

Dark_flan

I had just changed all my struts for my near 7 yr old 170,000km ride as stock one has no comfort especially rough roads (wear and tear). However after changing I noted that the ride is still more on the harsh side or similar as before but cornering is better and stable. Is it normal to let it run for a while to be comfortable as original?

I also hear the tyre noise like something like "galloping" tyre roar. Not so prominent. is it normal? Also changing of new struts warrant a alignment need? The steering is still dead straight when driving.. Pls advise.

↡ Advertisement

will expect your original suspension to be more comfy than aftermarket... which is also y cornering is now more firm and stable because it is less comfy

as for tyre noise, dun understand so cannot advise

I will do alignment to play safe but that should not be the reason for your noise

was it lowered?

Neutral Newbie

may i know did u buy the KYBs from stockist & got it replaced at ws? if yes may i know which stockist & how much did u pay for them & what car are they for? i am looking to replace my shocks on my sunny as well . thx alot

6th Gear

may i know did u buy the KYBs from stockist & got it replaced at ws? if yes may i know which stockist & how much did u pay for them & what car are they for? i am looking to replace my shocks on my sunny as well . thx alot

KYB stockist in Singapore is Yuen Thong located at Veerasamy Road.

You can google and give them a call for more information.

I got mine abt $550 plus installation for all 4 pcs. Got a quote from Yuen Thong (KYB distributor) and was quoted $450+ before GST and no installation. So overall the WS done for me is cheaper in way. If you might think this is not made in JPN then its wrong. I checked the struts and they are made in JPN and local unit tuned for Singapore. Mine is Altis, I think Sunny is abt there.

will expect your original suspension to be more comfy than aftermarket... which is also y cornering is now more firm and stable because it is less comfy

as for tyre noise, dun understand so cannot advise

I will do alignment to play safe but that should not be the reason for your noise

was it lowered?

I monitor the tyre noise first and see how when I drive highway tomorrow but causes not much interference. Nope I am still using stock springs as they are still working condition and further more I do not wish to rub my big exhaust when parking. :P.

I got mine abt $550 plus installation for all 4 pcs. Got a quote from Yuen Thong (KYB distributor) and was quoted $450+ before GST and no installation. So overall the WS done for me is cheaper in way. If you might think this is not made in JPN then its wrong. I checked the struts and they are made in JPN and local unit tuned for Singapore. Mine is Altis, I think Sunny is abt there.

sounds cheap.

care to share which workshop?

but don't they do the alignment tgt as well?

sounds cheap.

care to share which workshop?

but don't they do the alignment tgt as well?

i think they just do side slip check.

Most ws charges 20 to 25 per strut for labor. Apart from yuen as mentioned above u can try aik huat chop at waterloo street. Stockist too. I was quoted cheaper at aik huat. same made in Japan.

I monitor the tyre noise first and see how when I drive highway tomorrow but causes not much interference. Nope I am still using stock springs as they are still working condition and further more I do not wish to rub my big exhaust when parking. :P.

check your tyres... is it scalloped? means there is a hump on your tyre thus the noise... uneven wear will also cause the noise.. it may look good on the outside but inside may be worn out

6th Gear

When I got my shocks from Yuen Thong, I drove to the nearest workshop which was H Tyres and have the dampers changed.

I can't remember the exact pricing (including labor and alignment) but should not be more than S$200. But this price was more than 1 year ago.

When I got my shocks from Yuen Thong, I drove to the nearest workshop which was H Tyres and have the dampers changed.

I can't remember the exact pricing (including labor and alignment) but should not be more than S$200. But this price was more than 1 year ago.

H tyres near lavender food court? always find the item prices there abit steep... dunno about labour though

6th Gear

H tyres near lavender food court? always find the item prices there abit steep... dunno about labour though

I find the packaging of the shocks to be very bulky and clumsy so I don't mind paying a bit more to have everything changed as soon as possible.

I find the packaging of the shocks to be very bulky and clumsy so I don't mind paying a bit more to have everything changed as soon as possible.

ok... sometimes paying abit more for convinence is good.. somemore you earn so much... i am sure your time more valuable [:p]

The WS mentioned alignment not really required unless the steering is off when I driving. So far dead straight. Its located at Yew Tee industrial park. WS - Eng Hup... But must order first as they do not have ready stock. Quite labour intensive for rear shocks replacement as my seats need to take out and also the my audio setup causes some inconvenience.. I post the contact number later time.

check your tyres... is it scalloped? means there is a hump on your tyre thus the noise... uneven wear will also cause the noise.. it may look good on the outside but inside may be worn out

I doubt uneven wear as I check my tyres are still even wear and also tyre has been balanced regularly.

I doubt uneven wear as I check my tyres are still even wear and also tyre has been balanced regularly.

check for humps on your wheels... you can hardly see with naked eye.. you got to try to feel it instead.

the galloping sound you get... does it get louder as you go faster? different road surface different noise? the noise comes from the wheels? try to pinpoint the noise source first...

maybe can check wheel bearings too.... got to find a workshop to lift your whole car and spin the wheel to see if there is noise...

↡ Advertisement