New maid gives birth after 3 months. Employee to foot costs.

Ahtong

Quite a mystery why Stomper never noticed her maid is preggers as well. Nevertheless, I also wonder what all the maid levy is for when at the first sign of trouble, the authorities straight away bo wa eh tai ji.

Employer's horror: She has to bear medical expenses after maid gives birth

STOMPer Sabrina was appalled after she got saddled with medical bills and repatriation costs for her maid who gave birth within three months of employment. The STOMPer wonders how the maid got through the medical check-ups without the pregnancy setting off any alarm.

The STOMPer wrote:

"I employed an Indonesian maid to look after my mother (not living with me) in February this year but returned her to the maid agency last Friday (May 04) and got an alarming piece of news yesterday (May 08) -- that she has given birth to a healthy baby boy in the office of the maid agency!

"How can this be possible since she was only in Singapore for less than three months. Now, the maid agency says that according to MOM's (Ministry of Manpower) rules and regulations, the employer is to bear all the medical fees and costs for repatriating the maid and the baby.

"In the first place, the maid should be at least 6 months pregnant when she arrived in Singapore -- how could she have passed the full medical check-up?

"Furthermore, the medical check-up is handled by the maid agency, not me!

"As such, shouldn't the maid agency be responsible for the costs or go after the doctor who did the medical check-up?

"I checked through the contract that I signed with the maid agency -- under clause 15, it's stated that 'in the event FDW (Foreign Domestic Worker) falls ills or suffers personal injury...employer shall bear all the medical costs'.

"Can an 'unexpected' birth be classified as an illness or injury?

"The agency is going to discharge the maid and the baby from NUH today (May 09).

"Is there any of you out there who has a similar story to share? Is there any immediate action I should take to protect my rights?

"I am very very sad. Staff from MOM called me up yesterday too and surprisingly, she told me that they are not going to mediate the matter involving.

"She advised me to settle the bill and send the maid back as soon as possible and said 'it has nothing to do with MOM as the ministry issued work permits based on medical reports'.

"Who should I turn to then?"

↡ Advertisement

maybe the maid added water to the urine test?

after all, no one can see what u do when u have to pee in the cup.

(edited)

maybe the maid added water to the urine test?

after all, no one can see what u do when u have to pee in the cup.

Funny thing is no one noticed her bulging belly? Or is the maid the bui bui type? (I have yet to see one) Or is it possible to maintain a slim figure even while preggers [confused]

Edited by Ahtong

Funny thing is no one noticed her bulging belly? Or is the maid the bui bui type? (I have yet to see one) Or is it possible to maintain a slim figure even while preggers [confused]

there had been many myths and stories that girl give birth in toilet and flush the baby away without anyone notice she was pregnent [laugh][laugh]

(edited)

Cant really blame the employer, some maids are so petite, even late late pregnancy oso cant see the difference. This is not the first case, my wify's agency did ever handled two of such cases but not handover to employers yet, sent back loh, lose $$$.

They have two medical check, one in their own country, another one in Singapore, but I think even Singapore's medical check oso hao siao one only want $$$. Im sure some with hepitities or HIV oso can pass tru.

Now my wife make sure her maids arrive at their country holding hostels aleast one week before the medical check, cos their husband or bf will piak them till the day they board the plane if given the chance. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by KaKiLang

there had been many myths and stories that girl give birth in toilet and flush the baby away without anyone notice she was pregnent [laugh][laugh]

I thought those type eat pineapples asap? [:p]

someone should form a human rights group for maid's employer to voice out for unfair treatment towards them

There is nothing sentational about this. It is another instance of misrepresentation, for which the recourse is against the provider of the medical report and related parties. The real con artists are the car dealers who are adept at deceiving you.

The employer should not bear anything. This should be the responsibility of the maid agency. According to the procedure,

the maid should be at the Indonesian agency permises much earlier prior their departure to Singapore and the Indonesian

agency reponsibility to ensure that the maid must be in the good status especially in term of health. Also prior to handing

over the maid to the employer, the Singapore agent must already ensure the maid had medical check done. How on earth

the doctor not able to note that the maid is pregnant?

The employer should report/bring the matter to MOM and do not commit or do anything without the intervention on MOM,

do not let the agent get away.

Just like the reality show "i didn't know i was pregnant" on cable TV. The stories are too unrealistic but it's true.

And almost all of the women are fat fat one, even they themselves dunno they are pregnant. WTF right?

Just send the maid back. Air ticket is cheap.

Don't ever pay up the hospital bills. Let it be write-off.

Why must go hospital to give birth?

Many pinoy n indon people give birth at home for FREE.

Turbocharged

The best part is MOM wash hand bo chap.

Clearly, they need to step up because there are loopholes. Instead they are silent on this.

Turbocharged
(edited)

The employer should take the difficult but correct path of going for litigation. Actually the maid agency just talk only... they are not the Authority, and as we can see, the authorities are not siding anybody.

A lot of these agencies like to take advantage of the fact that we, the local consumers, tend to be unaware and unwilling to seek litigation. So they can come out with all kinds of preposterous stunts like this.

What is obvious to me is that the agency did not ensure the medical test is done properly. And since they assured the employer that the maid is 'fit', this is like an outright lie or misrepresentation.

All that's needed is a lawyer's letter. Very likely no need to go to court also. Just call the agency's bluff. I'm sure they'll back down.

Go to STOMP got what use?? It's free, but waste time only.

Edited by Sosaria

Turbocharged

why was the maid returned to the agency on the 4 May?

Why did no one realize the maid was pregnant?

If the employer did not realize the maid was pregnant even when the maid was with them, how can the agency find out 3 months earlier?

why did MOM wash their hands off the issue?

People should think before making any comments.

Supercharged

Stomper can don't pay a single cent and let the agency take up a civil case with stomper.

↡ Advertisement