Fake Monk encountered

Tanahseng

This is not new in Singapore.

but last night I encountered this "monk" at Club street, he is not those Thailand or Myanmar monk. Is those Chinses Shao Lin Shi type, holding a stick and a bowl full of notes.

I know monks will not ask for money, but both my friends offer him $2 each. Anyone encounter this monk at the mentioned area? Please share!

↡ Advertisement

I met many of these monks, but this time is a little different. around 10.45pm, and he is wearing shao lin attire.

Confirmed a ' bogus monk ', I went thru my monkhood in Thailand and knows the difference of novice v bogus monk,

Monk do not come out after 1130 am onwards, they stay inside temple

Monk do not collect or distribute buddhist paraphernalia in exchange for monetary gain

Monk only places thy can go is the market place in the morning

Monk do not come out after dark

Monk do not touch woman folk hand

Everytime you see a monk in hawker-ctre, along the street is fine, except to collect alms, nothing less. In thailand, Bangkok & other rural provinces, people line the street to greet the monk / give him breakfast / oranges or vegetarian thai curry / rice for his daily meal, only one meal a day.

After 12noon no more meal, prayers and mediation follow suit.

Hypersonic

I think those who drive Audi, chant at funeral and collect 4-5 figures ang pow also fake..

Supercharged

I think those who drive Audi, chant at funeral and collect 4-5 figures ang pow also fake..

got drive Audi one ah?

i only saw drive MB one b4...

Neutral Newbie

got drive Audi one ah?

but got real monk who climb building and stand in ice for charity, but get chauffeured around [sly]

Confirmed a ' bogus monk ', I went thru my monkhood in Thailand and knows the difference of novice v bogus monk,

Monk do not collect or distribute buddhist paraphernalia in exchange for monetary gain

Everytime you see a monk in hawker-ctre, along the street is fine, except to collect alms, nothing less. In thailand, Bangkok & other rural provinces, people line the street to greet the monk / give him breakfast / oranges or vegetarian thai curry / rice for his daily meal, only one meal a day.

like christianity there are many versions

i am not clear about monks

but can the practice of different sector of buddhist be different for the monks

Neutral Newbie

Just to add a bit to these facts

Monks do not collect money in their alms bowl. The bowl by right only to receive food

Real Buddhists even monks do not have to be vegetarian. Vegetarian only created in Chinese Buddhism(Mahayana)

Hypersonic

got drive Audi one ah?

Personally saw one botak in monks robe came in a audi at an acquaintance funeral.

Just to add a bit to these facts

Monks do not collect money in their alms bowl. The bowl by right only to receive food

Real Buddhists even monks do not have to be vegetarian. Vegetarian only created in Chinese Buddhism(Mahayana)

ya... i read i buddha book which says the same thing... buddha says can eat anything as long as you keep yourself healthy and practive "the way"

(edited)

Personally saw one botak in monks robe came in a audi at an acquaintance funeral.

That type doing those funeral one is not monk, they are Sai Kong. Mostly very rich one. But this type of monk collecting money, confirmed is fake, but I ask my friend , they said nevermind lar, just give him $2 , so he will go away!!!

3 of us, they gave $2 each......I ignored, maybe I not that soft hearted! If I were alone, I will just ask him, which temple you from?

But he definitely not those Thailand monk, I suspect is Chinese "monk"

Edited by Tanahseng

but got real monk who climb building and stand in ice for charity, but get chauffeured around [sly]

he also own race horses in Australia.... -_-

Supersonic

That type doing those funeral one is not monk, they are Sai Kong. Mostly very rich one. But this type of monk collecting money, confirmed is fake, but I ask my friend , they said nevermind lar, just give him $2 , so he will go away!!!

3 of us, they gave $2 each......I ignored, maybe I not that soft hearted! If I were alone, I will just ask him, which temple you from?

But he definitely not those Thailand monk, I suspect is Chinese "monk"

Lol, even you ask him which temple he is from, and he tells you the name, you know all the temple names meh?! [:p]

↡ Advertisement