New Renault Grand Scenic Diesel

Schell31

(edited)

You can tax petrol. You can tax CNG. You can even tax diesel.

Now, giving electric car a chance to slip through the loop hole ?

Most likely, gahmen is going to tax electricity charge as well to prevent "loss" in revenue.

There will always be taxes on cars regardless of what cars are on our roads. Taxes are needed and it is not difficult to derive a formula.

The case for electric cars is a broader one - to achieve a greener planet. Taxes should be the least of concerns. The bigger element is to make electric cars feasible.

Edited by TheRationalVoice
↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

It's EDC transmission, an automatic transmission.

Renault's version of dual clutch.

• Praise 1

The engine already states that it is Auto.

Renault Grand Scenic Diesel 1.5 dCi (A)

Photo might not be accurate here. Likely taken from the manufacturer showing those selling in Europe which is commonly a manual gear type.

• Praise 1

It works more than on a theoratical level. If this is not true, estiblished manufacturers will not be bothered with electric cars altogether. Nissan would not have spent time effort and money on the Leaf, and Renault on the Fluence. These are just examples, there are more electric cars from others manufacturers too.

The points you raised are nothing new, and are just very basic points that have already underwent rigorous debates long time ago. These could be seen for example in various top car magazines many moons ago.

[:)]

Unless its good for their bottom-lines which is where it really counts to business entities. To be perfectly blunt, electric vehicles only save the earth when two conditions are met, 1 The vehicle is driven for a long time to make up for the harm the manufacturing process of the batteries cause, and 2 the source of the electricity is a clean one, i.e. one that comes from renewable sources which we don't have in SG.

Saw the road show in vivo city, the frugality is amazing...what do you think?

i think diesel is the way to go green!

Went to check it out last week. Waiting for the diesel test car to come in before I make a decision. Thus far, when it comes to the overall package (looks, practicality, price and quality of build & materials), i feel its better than all I've test drove (which are the Touran, Mz 5, S-Max, 5008, Wish, & Stream).

(edited)

The diesel model is a 1.5L. Will be under power for such size of car.

cfm underpowered, 110BHP and 240Nm to power a kerb weight of 1,517kg.... :wacko: :wacko: 0-100 14secs+...

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

(edited)

cfm underpowered, 110BHP and 240Nm to power a kerb weight of 1,517kg.... :wacko: :wacko: 0-100 14secs+...

Well I shall see when I test drive it. However it should be fine, esp if the ridiculous speed requirements from the french hating BBC clowns think the older lower powered version was fine. That being said it is rated at 20km/l

Edited by Elfenstar

Neutral Newbie

Anyone test drove this car?

I tested the 2L petrol. like all the features + drive.

But have not tested the Diesel version.

Is it wise to go for diesel cars?

Road Tax is higher right?

• Praise 1

Anyone test drove this car?

I tested the 2L petrol. like all the features + drive.

But have not tested the Diesel version.

Is it wise to go for diesel cars?

Road Tax is higher right?

I did. It's not bad at all. Far more refined than the diesel engines in the vans I used to drive. Still unmistakably diesel though.

As it's Euro 5 compliant, road tax as of next year will be an additional $0.40 per cc, so it should end up being about $1.2K. I asked about the diesel in Malaysia, so the SE checked and told me it shouldnt be a problem. The only real issue I've seen with it is that its not as smooth as its petrol variant when the car is idling.

Neutral Newbie

test drove renault 1.5 diesel.. not bad at all, quite high specs.

revised diesel tax from jan 2013. 20km/l..finally booked for dec/jan delivery.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I did. It's not bad at all. Far more refined than the diesel engines in the vans I used to drive. Still unmistakably diesel though.

As it's Euro 5 compliant, road tax as of next year will be an additional $0.40 per cc, so it should end up being about $1.2K. I asked about the diesel in Malaysia, so the SE checked and told me it shouldnt be a problem. The only real issue I've seen with it is that its not as smooth as its petrol variant when the car is idling.

Get this in writing, according to some, it IS a problem.

The euro 5s require ultra low suplhur diesel - malaysian diesel has a high sulphur content.

Some are saying that pumping Malaysian diesel may void warranty.

test drove renault 1.5 diesel.. not bad at all, quite high specs.

revised diesel tax from jan 2013. 20km/l..finally booked for dec/jan delivery.

Is Wearnes willing to confirm that we can pump M'sia diesel for the 1.5 dCi Grand Scenic?

• Praise 1

Get this in writing, according to some, it IS a problem.

The euro 5s require ultra low suplhur diesel - malaysian diesel has a high sulphur content.

Some are saying that pumping Malaysian diesel may void warranty.

Yup agreed if I decide on getting it. Still mai ah mai to change car though I will need to eventually in the not too distant future.

Apparently just like the knock sensor retarding timing if fuel octane is above min but below recommended, Renault's diesels have a similar feature built in. If anything less than Euro 5 is pumped in, it reverts to a Euro 1 tune but with degraded performance and FC.

Just a general question, how do we know if the diesel is suitable for Euro 5 car?

IMO, all diesel from refinery should meet international standard on sulphur content.

The company must remove sulphur from the product.

• Praise 1

Just a general question, how do we know if the diesel is suitable for Euro 5 car?

IMO, all diesel from refinery should meet international standard on sulphur content.

The company must remove sulphur from the product.

Diesels sold in S'pore are ok, as they contain very low sulphur, i.e. Euro 5 standard. However, M'sia diesels are only Euro 2 with higher sulphur content. Hence, if we were buy Euro 5 diesel cars here, we can't drive too far into M'sia.

Hope I am correct.

↡ Advertisement