Cabby jailed 4 weeks, banned from driving for fatal accident

Darthrevan

(edited)

A taxi driver was jailed for four weeks and banned from driving all vehicles for five years on Wednesday for causing the death of an elderly pedestrian through his negligence.

Sum Lai Thou, 61, pleaded guilty to causing the death of Madam Choy Yip Hian, 75, by failing to keep a proper lookout along Serangoon Road on Dec 15, 2011.

The court heard that Madam Choy had jaywalked across the road when Sum's taxi hit her while travelling at a continuous speed of 70 to 80 kph.

The impact caused Madam Choy to be flung some 10m ahead.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_802140.html

Edited by Nf0rc3r
Removed Photo
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Whenever I read such news, I can't help but to think of Lexus and tree branch.. There is a different punishment between the rich and the commoners.... Life is never fair anyway, ....

Supercharged

This serves as a reminder to all MCFers, that as a driver, we are responsible for the safety of pedestrians, whether they are jaywalking, running, crawling, rolling on the road.

Though sometimes pesdestrains are breaking the law by jaywalking or running across the road, our car can be a potential killing machine that may kill someone, and so drivers must be responsible to react accordingly to situation preventing any injuries to the pesdestrain.

Once u hit a pedestrian, you are already in the wrong, regardless of the situation may be.

Whenever I read such news, I can't help but to think of Lexus and tree branch.. There is a different punishment between the rich and the commoners.... Life is never fair anyway, ....

That is a classic. How about that editor too?

Wtf, nobody use wheelchair to push uncle and also tell the judge uncle got depression problem? [:(]

I pity him because the victim was jay walking. I hv seen a lot of pedestrian who has no regards for safety and anyhow cross the road. I've seen some even crossing while on hand phone and not checking for traffic.

For this case, he is not entirely at fault.

And problem is we all know what happened and there is simply nothing we can do about it.... sad x2.

(edited)

I pity him because the victim was jay walking. I hv seen a lot of pedestrian who has no regards for safety and anyhow cross the road. I've seen some even crossing while on hand phone and not checking for traffic.

For this case, he is not entirely at fault.

My perspective is different:

That the elderly lady was jay walking plays a smaller part in the allocation of fault/guilt. The greater fault lies in the cabby for failing to keep a proper lookout (and driving excessively too I presume).

If he had exercised the latter, a life would have been preserved.

Edited by TheRationalVoice

we cannot avoid accidents completely, but if everyone follows the rules, we can minimise the chance of accident to happen. If u only expect one party to follow the rules, then u got to prepare to pay the price for the mistake.

the question now is this...............

when you dont have a tree branch to bail you out, is this a fair and just sentencing??

If u only expect one party to follow the rules, then u got to prepare to pay the price for the mistake.

By this statement you expressly imply that I only "expect" the cabby to follow the rules. I invite you to relook at my post and properly draw the conclusion I had made.

Hint: I used the word "allocation".

How about the lady whom drove lexus knocking down a cyclist yet claims she though knocked a tree branch?

The rich poor divide comes about.

You feel no remose for the cabby but how come he is punished while the other case got away with light negligable sentence?

Its simple: the facts in both cases are different.

im sure he didnt want it to happen. please remove his photo, he is old man as well. old ppl reaction is never nimble.

If he is old and his reaction is never nimble, he should not have speeded.

I don't see why have to remove his photo when the Straits Times and internet already posted his photo.

He is already convicted in court and sentence.

the question now is this...............

when you dont have a tree branch to bail you out, is this a fair and just sentencing??

that lady didnt have a tree branch to bail her out...her excuse was she tot she hit a tree branch. Actually there was never a tree branch! [shakehead][shakehead]

↡ Advertisement