Special driving license, how?

KARTer

Like the licensing system for bikes, now it sounds like car license may go a similar way. Good or bad?

More interestingly :- how the test will be designed? What about the choice of test-car? How many testers are qualified? Will tested skills equal or result in careful+responsible driving on the road?

I feel a high performance cars can be tricky to handle for casual / average drivers, at least in an emergency. So some kinds of classification for license will be good. But this alone doesn't seem to solve problems.

Btw, some have suggested the use of black box! Legally there's little to argue against it as sgp street legal speed is capped at 90kmh give and take few kmh. If LTA/TP accept short durations exceeding the speed limit, say 3 to 4 sec, and also accept low frequency, say once a week/month, maybe the black box can be considered.

↡ Advertisement

Like the licensing system for bikes, now it sounds like car license may go a similar way. Good or bad?

More interestingly :- how the test will be designed? What about the choice of test-car? How many testers are qualified? Will tested skills equal or result in careful+responsible driving on the road?

I feel a high performance cars can be tricky to handle for casual / average drivers, at least in an emergency. So some kinds of classification for license will be good. But this alone doesn't seem to solve problems.

Btw, some have suggested the use of black box! Legally there's little to argue against it as sgp street legal speed is capped at 90kmh give and take few kmh. If LTA/TP accept short durations exceeding the speed limit, say 3 to 4 sec, and also accept low frequency, say once a week/month, maybe the black box can be considered.

how?

1.8 wish is less powerful than a 1.6 civic.

only way is to use horsepower.

but hp can be tuned/modded.

so even worst off.

best is to leave it as it is.

either that go all out like USA where those <26 cannot drive sports classified cars and cars <220bhp at STOCK below 26.

Turbocharged

I heard LTA going to adopt the same test n selection methods used to train our RSAF pilots for the special lic. :D

(edited)

must as well make all license drivers/riders to attend compulsory "Driver Refreshment Course" of every 5/10yrs from the driving centre.

Edited by Rezorn86

Supercharged

I think the easiest way to curb reckless driving in the lowest cost possible is for LTA to implement compulsory car recording camera with GPS for all vehicles, and all cars must use the camera as long as they are moving on the road. Any accident happened, all drivers must submit the video recordings to insurance companies. If no recording, get a heavier penalty.

It's no or very little cost to LTA. They just push all drivers to buy one camera from open market. If drivers KPKB about paying for it, the LTA can give a small rebate in the car road tax, to offset it.

Easiest and cleanest way to curb reckless driving.

LTA should hire me as consultant. [laugh][laugh] . They all sitting there in office, do what har?

Neutral Newbie

I think the easiest way to curb reckless driving in the lowest cost possible is for LTA to implement compulsory car recording camera with GPS for all vehicles, and all cars must use the camera as long as they are moving on the road. Any accident happened, all drivers must submit the video recordings to insurance companies. If no recording, get a heavier penalty.

It's no or very little cost to LTA. They just push all drivers to buy one camera from open market. If drivers KPKB about paying for it, the LTA can give a small rebate in the car road tax, to offset it.

LTA should hire me as consultant. [laugh][laugh] . They all sitting there in office, do what har?

can track scandal also?

1st Gear

Practical test already so long queue, now people pushing for FT taking it as well, need to add some more?

Maybe need to queue for a year before it's my turn.

Just catch more traffic offenders will do, or just add more patrols but hopefully not by private police.

I think there's a business opportunity here for car dealers to tie up with their respective advance driving division to come up with training packages that comes with the car that will lead them to attain the required license.

It can happen if LTA/TP adopts a certain license standard and the car dealers customize their advance driving course for that.

E.g. At the lower end market, buying a GT86 will include a 'free' advance driving training at Sepang. If fail, just retake the course while you wait for your car to be delivered anyway.

At the other end, Ferrari buyers can have their course in Italy, BMW's at Munich and Porsche's at Australia etc.

1st Gear

It can be integrated into the ERP/zone parking GPS IU unit currently under testing.

This new IU will render ERP gantries void, zone entries such as CBD charges, more flexibility in boundary changes (and rates), and almost real time traffic flow info for better anticipation of jam build up.

Yes you could be tracked all the time, location and speed except where GPS signal is off.

Think twice before speeding then?

yeah, that too. [laugh][laugh]

Scandals come under which ministry? LTA will say " Scandals Bo wa eh tai chi"

The car-cam is a good idea, and it only shoots in front, what happens in back seat is invisible. [:)]

It can be integrated into the ERP/zone parking GPS IU unit currently under testing.

This new IU will render ERP gantries void, zone entries such as CBD charges, more flexibility in boundary changes (and rates), and almost real time traffic flow info for better anticipation of jam build up.

Yes you could be tracked all the time, location and speed except where GPS signal is off.

Think twice before speeding then?

In fact not keeping safe distance behind other cars is also unsafe, the video will show it as evidence. This is for investigations n convictions, insurance claims. How to prevent reckless driving in the first place? Put big big gruesome accident pictures on overhead ERP gantries etc?

1st Gear

Imho No regulation can prevent one's determination (including committing an offense).

But of course, the price has to be paid.

must as well make all license drivers/riders to attend compulsory "Driver Refreshment Course" of every 5/10yrs from the driving centre.

Hmmm.....smell $$$...for MIW... [bigcry]

you got exclusive distributorship for all in car recording cameras ar? [:p]

Supercharged

you got exclusive distributorship for all in car recording cameras ar? [:p]

i think i better start setting up a distributorship business for car cameras now..... [laugh][laugh]

I foresee LTA will implement this in near future.

↡ Advertisement