Bloomberg reports Anti Foreign Sentiment in SG-world noe nw!

Relacklabrudder

just to be fair, they could be including jobs such as cleaners, construction workers etc in that number (jobs that most singaporeans generally shun)... since they dont disclose whether they are referring to low skill jobs, blue collar or white collar, they are asking us to assume (and most of us will naturally assume the worst, i suppose)

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the influx of these cheaper foreign labour has artificially suppressed the wages of the some of the industries, e.g. cleaning industry. If not for the easy availability of these foreign workers, perhaps cleaning companies would find more ways (e.g. higher wages) to attract locals to the job.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

You pay bus drivers 3000/mth.. see whether got Singaporeans apply or not..

All these start from the day when someone high up decide that those who can study are best suited for high earning jobs and start to give out scholarships to reiterate their stand.. from then on, all these unskilled/semi-skilled jobs are looked down upon..

Actually no need to purposely up income. If the FT supply is cut off, the income will naturally go up until demand meets supply, maybe even more than $3000/mth and Singaporeans will enjoy the higher wage.

Currently, if the bus drivers' income is increased, only the majority FTs will benefit from the wage increase since very few Singaporeans work as bus drivers.

Turbocharged

Of the 122,600 jobs created in Singapore last year, about 70 percent, or 84,800 positions, went to foreigners.

We are partly to blame for so many foreigners as well.

When suggest reduce headcount by clearing our own plate at foodcourt, people complain the food they pay include the cleaners, & doesn't benefit them

When suggest pump own petrol, reduce headcount same argument.

Pay higher & recruit Singaporean in F&B. People say do not want to pay for the extra cost.

Complain bus & MRT, city area full of maids & construction workers. Are people suggesting they do not go out on the only day of break. When considered that most people work 5 days week.

& why so many of these people, because most Singaporeans do not wat to do construction, and many family cannot do without maids.

I think mainly in the PMET la...

those u stated above can let FTs come and do... no issues with that...

look at the amount of foreigners now in Banks and ITs...

or now any other industry...

this certainly makes us lose our bargaining power for salary increment...

i have pinoy colleague who changed jobs twice in 6 months...

cause got offer ma... and her asking pay much lower than other fellow applicants...

and she holds a Manager posts...

Of the 122,600 jobs created in Singapore last year, about 70 percent, or 84,800 positions, went to foreigners.

Supersonic

Actually no need to purposely up income. If the FT supply is cut off, the income will naturally go up until demand meets supply, maybe even more than $3000/mth and Singaporeans will enjoy the higher wage.

Currently, if the bus drivers' income is increased, only the majority FTs will benefit from the wage increase since very few Singaporeans work as bus drivers.

Sillypore cannot live without FTs, FT supply confirm cannot be cut off. You like it or not, this is the true fact of sillypore.

to them it's a gd reply bcos then they will accuse u of being choosy [laugh]

Ah... no wonder they dun seemed to know the ground and the ground dun seem to know them... E

Singaporeans are the stupidest people on earth who are manipulated by the government. They suffer in silence and lived in constant pressure. As a Singaporean myself, the sacrifies is too much to bear. The quality of life lose out to european country where you enjoy freedom to express and human rights. Altought taxes are high as compared, retirement is being taken care of when they age. Singaporean basically had no human rights, too much worries. Even the elderly had to worry about basic nessicities and medical issue. Majority lead the lifestyle of typical worker and stagnant pay for common people is depressing living in a high cost city. Not only that Singaporeans are being alienated in their own soil by foreign invasion. Worst of all income gap widens at a worrying pase. Being a Singaporean not able to enjoy the fruits our own labour is pathetic. Housing are no longer affordable, people lost their dreams of owning a house with ease. Sky high COE makes owning a car a luxury, in european countries a standard family can easy own a car each. The government are introducing measures to curb the after effects but the results were minimum. Compared to the ill effect created, their solution can be describe as using a egg to hit the stone in chinese. When dealing with such proplems, the government are not decisive and are hold back by the impact that would affect the GDP growth. All policies are made only to their own benefit and not placing the welfare of people as priorty. Singaporean not had no place in their own country.

Singaporeans are the stupidest people on earth who are manipulated by the government. They suffer in silence and lived in constant pressure. As a Singaporean myself, the sacrifies is too much to bear. The quality of life lose out to european country where you enjoy freedom to express and human rights. Altought taxes are high as compared, retirement is being taken care of when they age. Singaporean basically had no human rights, too much worries. Even the elderly had to worry about basic nessicities and medical issue. Majority lead the lifestyle of typical worker and stagnant pay for common people is depressing living in a high cost city. Not only that Singaporeans are being alienated in their own soil by foreign invasion. Worst of all income gap widens at a worrying pase. Being a Singaporean not able to enjoy the fruits our own labour is pathetic. Housing are no longer affordable, people lost their dreams of owning a house with ease. Sky high COE makes owning a car a luxury, in european countries a standard family can easy own a car each. The government are introducing measures to curb the after effects but the results were minimum. Compared to the ill effect created, their solution can be describe as using a egg to hit the stone in chinese. When dealing with such proplems, the government are not decisive and are hold back by the impact that would affect the GDP growth. All policies are made only to their own benefit and not placing the welfare of people as priorty. Singaporean not had no place in their own country.

Turbocharged

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the influx of these cheaper foreign labour has artificially suppressed the wages of the some of the industries, e.g. cleaning industry. If not for the easy availability of these foreign workers, perhaps cleaning companies would find more ways (e.g. higher wages) to attract locals to the job.

well, I'll give you an example. (dont get me wrong - i agree with you. however, there are some financial implications, namely):

cleaning a 10 storey building costs somewhere north of $4500 per month using your basic foreign workers. (4 workers to be exact. most of the workers take $800 - $1000 per mth). these cleaning companies then bill the building for about 5.5k per month in order to sustain their biz model (to have extra guys in case someone reports sick). the building will naturally pass on the cost of cleaning to the owners by way of the management fund. now, if we were to just increase costs by 50%, it would probably add maybe 10-20% more to the management fees. because its my job to mitigate some of the costs, its difficult to get locals to do the job. ive spoken to cleaning companies who said they dont mind offering more to singaporeans (or malaysians for that matter) to do the job, but they literally had no calls (except for a couple of much older folk who wouldnt suit the job scope). if there are no takers at $1200 for locals, and a foreigner wants to do it for $800 - can you really blame the cleaning companies?

Also, as an after thought - if we paid cleaners somewhere along the lines of $1500 - would the despatch riders ask for an increase? and would the admin staff, middle management etc all for an increase? (im asking more out of curiosity than anything else)

unfortunately, i do like to play devil's advocate from time to time so please bear with me ...

Hypersonic

Sillypore cannot live without FTs, FT supply confirm cannot be cut off. You like it or not, this is the true fact of sillypore.

That is what the govt wants Singaporeans to believe in. Unfortunately more are waking up.

after importing so many people, how many more can this little island take?

Currently infrastructure is already bursting at the seams and TFR is 1.2.

How low will TFR be if the population is further increased? No wonder Singaporeans are becoming an endangered species.

well, I'll give you an example. (dont get me wrong - i agree with you. however, there are some financial implications, namely):

cleaning a 10 storey building costs somewhere north of $4500 per month using your basic foreign workers. (4 workers to be exact. most of the workers take $800 - $1000 per mth). these cleaning companies then bill the building for about 5.5k per month in order to sustain their biz model (to have extra guys in case someone reports sick). the building will naturally pass on the cost of cleaning to the owners by way of the management fund. now, if we were to just increase costs by 50%, it would probably add maybe 10-20% more to the management fees. because its my job to mitigate some of the costs, its difficult to get locals to do the job. ive spoken to cleaning companies who said they dont mind offering more to singaporeans (or malaysians for that matter) to do the job, but they literally had no calls (except for a couple of much older folk who wouldnt suit the job scope). if there are no takers at $1200 for locals, and a foreigner wants to do it for $800 - can you really blame the cleaning companies?

Also, as an after thought - if we paid cleaners somewhere along the lines of $1500 - would the despatch riders ask for an increase? and would the admin staff, middle management etc all for an increase? (im asking more out of curiosity than anything else)

unfortunately, i do like to play devil's advocate from time to time so please bear with me ...

Yup, i perfectly understand. In fact, i believe in market forces, so i really don't blame the cleaning companies if they are able find cheap foreign labour. But that is where i think govt should step in, restrict cheap foreign labour for this sector, and overall pay will increase for the locals.

And when we pay cleaners more, perhaps those despatch riders may find themselves being paid less, and perhaps more would be attracted to join the cleaning industry?

I guess we are non-the-wiser on how things will work out...so it's really just an academic argument =p

That's why we need a min wage structure. Many countries (include developing country like China) have this to ensure a min standard of living, & prevent suppressing of pay by foreigner of much poorer countries.