Yet another death (cyclist) on Changi Coast Road

Ysc3

Twincharged

just got reports that a cyclist had been hit by a pickup this morning on Changi Coast Road ....

pickup windshield smash, cyclist's bicycle smashed, cyclist covered up.

why don't cyclists understand the risks that they put themsleves in ??

↡ Advertisement

just got reports that a cyclist had been hit by a pickup this morning on Changi Coast Road ....

either they put camera to stop the truck from speeding at 80-100km/h or block cyclist from going into that road -_-

either they put camera to stop the truck from speeding at 80-100km/h or block cyclist from going into that road -_-

vehicles travelling at 50km/h will also kill any cyclist, unless its iron man on the bike.

local road are simply not built for cyclists. Too dangerous.......... [sweatdrop]

There are cyclists and there are cyclists.

There are foregin workers who cycle to save money. Then you have the vocal 'lifestyle' cyclists who choose to take up a lane and demand 1.5m (practically one full lane), holding up peak hour traffic in the process just to prove a point.

So which is the one who died?

Turbocharged

There are cyclists and there are cyclists.

There are foregin workers who cycle to save money. Then you have the vocal 'lifestyle' cyclists who choose to take up a lane and demand 1.5m (practically one full lane), holding up peak hour traffic in the process just to prove a point.

So which is the one who died?

wah.. u very critical hor.... but there's truth within....

Neutral Newbie

Spore road too narrow to accomodate cyclists but gov ALWAYS fail to understand.

Either they dun cycle or failure to do proper planning.

Which is which?

Neutral Newbie

some cyclist want to put themselves at risk. there was once i was driving along jalan kayu near picadilly circus.. a few cyclist i believe just came out from seletar dam area.. near the cicrus.. you're supposed to just go one round to go to ur desired exit.. this cyclist just made a right turn when i was just less then a meter behind him! no hand signals nothing from him. i had to jam brakes and thank god i had already anticipated that and was travelling around 40km/h. after i jam brake, the whole group of them just turn right as though its right for them to do it this way. all of them were 'professional' cyclist with their helmets and proper gear, but they ought to know that such gear does not protect them from such stupid actions, not to mention death!

even ah gong do not want to answer questions like why bicycle no need road tax...bicycle do not have insurance so when accident how?? I just saw a cyclist on the expressway few days ago...he cycling from tpe toward sle...imagine making the crossing from at tpe to sle when people turn into cte...and yes during peak hours....yes...he do wave and watch for traffic....but then again.... [confused] [confused] when you don't think you will see a cow crossing cte...you won't look out for cow !!!

4th Gear

I've met some cyclists which insists on cycling side by side each other to chit chat, taking up 1 lane. Some even just cycle in the middle of the lane when there's only 1 lane along the South Bouna Vista Road late at night. When you horned at them to let them know you're behind and coming to overtake them, they stopped and show you the middle finger...... [furious]

Already wrote to LTA suggesting we review the current Highway Code for cyclists. Too many drivers can not see cyclists for one reason or another. Lets us hope (can be fat hope) for positive revision soon.

some cyclist want to put themselves at risk. there was once i was driving along jalan kayu near picadilly circus.. a few cyclist i believe just came out from seletar dam area.. near the cicrus.. you're supposed to just go one round to go to ur desired exit.. this cyclist just made a right turn when i was just less then a meter behind him! no hand signals nothing from him. i had to jam brakes and thank god i had already anticipated that and was travelling around 40km/h. after i jam brake, the whole group of them just turn right as though its right for them to do it this way. all of them were 'professional' cyclist with their helmets and proper gear, but they ought to know that such gear does not protect them from such stupid actions, not to mention death!

I believe wearing helmet in our climate/weather may prove to be the wrong thing to do. Example: excessive dehydration can cause temporarily mental retardation. Hence the suicide cycling being practised by some/many.

I've met some cyclists which insists on cycling side by side each other to chit chat, taking up 1 lane. Some even just cycle in the middle of the lane when there's only 1 lane along the South Bouna Vista Road late at night. When you horned at them to let them know you're behind and coming to overtake them, they stopped and show you the middle finger...... [furious]

I encountered this type before. In broad daylight holding up heavy traffic.

Cannot do anything since LTA/TP have chosen to turn a blind eye.

Twincharged

just got home ... as i was passing by the mentioned area, the police and clean-up crew were just leaving the place ... so no pics ... but its not a worker cycling to work ... its one of those weekend cyclists on their racing bicycle.

frankly, i was expecting ppl to curse and swear at the pickup that hit the cyclist ... but i am quite surprised at the replies so far. I expected responses like, everyone to uphold cyclists' rights and blame it on the motor vehicle.

personally, i just do not understand why these cyclists are so stubborn ?? they simply BELIEVE that all motor vehicles will risk life and limb to give way to them on the roads ... what's is wrong with them ??

its not about riding rights here ... but the pure and simple fact that human flesh cannot fight against metal !!

the govt seems to have wasted many millions building the park connector along the road which is left to collect dust !

Twincharged

another trait of cyclists here, esp those in big groups ... then tend to ride on the rightmost of a lane. No doubt they are riding in a lane itself, but keeping almost 30cm from the lane divider line, is another invitation to the morgue or hospital.

just farked this cyclist who was cycling in the covered walkway. This covered walkway runs parallel to the usual 5 footway pedestrian path next to the road. knn, from far away keep ringing non stop . I stoically carried on and then he told me off "SIAM LA"

All hell broke loose i tell you. I let off a barrage of angry words. knn, ring the bell and i must siam to give way? Farking path so wide and he just can't keep right and overtake? farkign swines. bunch of annoyances. really.

Twincharged

I thought there was a cycling track all along the south side of ECR.

If I were a cyclist I wouldn't ride on the road. No matter my skills then they matter not if someone doesn't see me and I get hit.

Anyway, RIP.

a few years back, i bought a $700 bicycle to ride to work ... i stay in tampines and worked in Changi business park. After 3 days of riding, i stopped riding to work.

one thing it was tiring as hell !! and the next is too dangerous even on xilin ave (Expo) !! was riding on the double yellow lines and the trucks or cars pass you ... the wind is enough to to throw you off balance !!

Spore road too narrow to accomodate cyclists but gov ALWAYS fail to understand.

Either they dun cycle or failure to do proper planning.

Which is which?

They'll turn 1 round, come up with some lame excuses, and they are not to blame for poor planning.

Recently wrote in to HDB asking them to widen carpark entrance and increase the lane width at a bend, their reply - design and measurement according to blah blah blah international standards, so they've met the base requirements. Sometimes I wonder do these people have any brains in the first place. Common sense will tell anyone that in a tight bend, cars will naturally eat into the opposite lane, so why can't they just increase the lane width? It's not that there are no space for them to do so.

↡ Advertisement