Wah, wagyu steak going for $53 per kg only?

Chewbacca

But it's only a knuckle cut, though. Not the prized prime-rib or tenderloin. But given that those 2 are ~$130 per kg, I think the knuckle is fine enough. Going to cook it later tonight.....

Found it at NTUC Finest in Clementi.

Saw that the guy selling it has 'Culina' on his apron. Culina should be the one selling all the gourmet food stuff in dempsey ba? Maybe I'll check again....

Bought nearly half a KG. Going to cook it...BLUE! WOOOooooo

↡ Advertisement

Personally I find little difference in taste between Wagyu and other good steak from wet market.

In fact if you'd've gone along to the two stalls in the Clementi wet market I think you'd've found some equally tasty rib eye for half the price, you could've then done a comparison.

I think it's all a scam.

In fact with us Singaporeans generally I think we think the higher the price or the longer the queue the better the product.

We aren't discernible at all.

But enjoy your steak.

Well, aren't you a happy troper. :(

To be honest, I live by cheap steaks most of the time. There are ways to prepare the meat to have them approach the taste and feel of premium steaks. But, it's oly $50, man! Normal steak is like, $30.

And, yes, I can taste the difference. But sometimes I do wonder if the price difference is worth it....

• Praise 1

Personally, I don't purchase any Wagyu beef for our own consumption unless for entertaining guests.

I find it rather unhealthy; fat leaden but most people don't realised or mind it becos

it's so smooth and palatable and since it's expensive, it must be good!

I rather buy Tenderloin for steaks and Chuck Tender for stews and from Supermarkets only.

Reason being, the stall holders charge different price per Kg for different customers!

Btw, you can get beef Tenderloin for <$50/Kg from Cold Storage when they occasionally

advertise the offer on Friday.

Try to get it on Friday or Saturday mornings as supply will run out fast, as I had found out at times.

Buy more to keep as this cut freeze well. Cook as steak or if you can get it uncut, roast it.....Yummm!

Bon Appetit!

• Praise 1

(edited)

I have a steak once a week. I cook them myself, usually rib eye.

Anyone into caviar too ?

Edited by Davidtkl

(edited)

there are different grades of waygu, its probably the lower graded versions are on sale but if you know how to cook the steak well enough even a $20 steak can taste like a $80 plate

Edited by Expertz

Personally I find little difference in taste between Wagyu and other good steak from wet market.

In fact if you'd've gone along to the two stalls in the Clementi wet market I think you'd've found some equally tasty rib eye for half the price, you could've then done a comparison.

I think it's all a scam.

In fact with us Singaporeans generally I think we think the higher the price or the longer the queue the better the product.

We aren't discernible at all.

But enjoy your steak.

That's probably cos you have only ever tasted the lower grade wagyu.

I get my wagyu from Australia - always grade 9 at about $90AUD per kilo.

Cooking Wagyu is very easy, I slice it into thin pieces, almost bite size as I have neither the equipment nor the skills to grill a perfect steak!

Preheat the frying pan, throw the slices of wagyu in and sprinkle with maybe two pinches of salt.

Two minutes later, they're done!

Brilliant!

(edited)

Wonder all product import from Japan got went thru radiation check or not...that is a report by USA recently, that as far tokyo...even the soil are contaminated with radiation.....for me...I skip everything coming from Japan for a long time to come....also in April....mad cow disease was found in USA........not sure whether this is the case of the price is dropping....pai seh....don't mean to affect your mood in enjoy the nice beef... [laugh]

Mad cow

Edited by LoverofCar

Neutral Newbie

Btw, you can get beef Tenderloin for <$50/Kg from Cold Storage when they occasionally

advertise the offer on Friday.

Try to get it on Friday or Saturday mornings as supply will run out fast, as I had found out at times.

Buy more to keep as this cut freeze well. Cook as steak or if you can get it uncut, roast it.....Yummm!

Bon Appetit!

sff.gifThanks for your post.

(edited)

Cooking Wagyu is very easy, I slice it into thin pieces, almost bite size as I have neither the equipment nor the skills to grill a perfect steak!

Preheat the frying pan, throw the slices of wagyu in and sprinkle with maybe two pinches of salt.

Brilliant!

Generally American wagyu beats Aussie wagyu hands down. Anyway Australia exports a lot of lower grade wagyu as well.

Look at the marbling and you can predict what it will taste like.

Yakiniku Yazawa at Robertson Quay has some pretty good beef. The Chateaubriand is awesome, it looks like a block of butter marbled with lots of super fine veins of fat, before it is sliced and thrown on the bbq.

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Brilliant!

don't you think 2 minutes is really too much? unless your steak is really thick and your pan isn't very hot or you are the type who eats well done steak?

i'd rather have a hot pan and less than half a minute per side

cooked on the outside but completely raw inside is the best!

Cold Storage seems to be giving good offer for Wagyu Beef

Did they specific which part?

I realize they always just state Wagyu beef but never state the part. I