American woman fell to death at Raffles City

Ahtong

Hopefully the family don't sue SCDF [lipsrsealed]

20120529.134030_starbucks_st.jpg

SINGAPORE - An American hotel guest at the Swissotel The Stamford died from a fall from a height of at least 60 storeys in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday.

The 40-year-old, whose identity is withheld by the hotel to respect her family's privacy, landed on an inaccessible metal parapet three storeys from the ground level, said The Straits Times (ST).

On Sunday at about 4.10am, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received a call for assistance at Raffles City along Stamford Road.

The woman was found by paramedics to have suffered multiple injuries.

According to ST, the woman was thought unlikely to survive the impact of her fall, which delivered a 'severe blunt force trauma', damaging also the parapet.

When they got to the scene, they could not reach her where she landed on the parapet near the 24-hour Starbucks coffee joint at Raffles City.

They had to access a staircase to get to her and retrieve her body using safety harnesses and rescue lines.

As they approached her, parts of the parapet gave way and her body fell to the ground, landing outside Starbucks.

No customers or employees were standing outside, at the spot where the body landed, at the time.

Police are still investigating and have classified the case as an unnatural death.

A hotel spokesman said the hotel extended its deepest condolences to her family and friends. It is also helping the police with investigations.

The Swissotel The Stamford is the tallest hotel here at 73 stories and one of South-east Asia's tallest.

Business as usual

Starbucks said the woman's fall had damaged the roof of its outdoor seating area and caused water leakage.

However, it is business as usual for the cafe, although the outdoor area is currently closed for repairs.

A Raffles City spokesman told ST that retail operations were as usual at the mall.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

FT again! !

Not consider FT la, should consider tourist. I think this is not the first case of jumping case at this hotel! [rolleyes] I remembered happened before many many years ago, and the person landed on a car below!

Turbocharged

Not consider FT la, should consider tourist. I think this is not the first case of jumping case at this hotel! [rolleyes] I remembered happened before many many years ago, and the person landed on a car below!

Maybe she was pushed [:(]

Or got drunk and fell [speechless]

Or got lost and tripped [sweatdrop]

Maybe she was leaning against a window and it fell out?

But most likely jumped.

60 over stories is a long way...

I wonder if she screamed on the way down.

(edited)

some said the neck would have broken due to gravity before touches ground.

luckily didnt hit anyone below. 40yrs and if drunk and cannot manage herself, then i have nothing to say.

Edited by Babyt

Supersonic

Maybe she was pushed [:(]

Or got drunk and fell [speechless]

Or got lost and tripped [sweatdrop]

Maybe she was leaning against a window and it fell out?

But most likely jumped.

60 over stories is a long way...

I wonder if she screamed on the way down.

60 over stories is a long way if you walk down the stairs, but if leapt off from 60 storey, the gravity that pull the person and i guess should be quite fast.

Supersonic

but jump down really takes alot of courage, unless it was completely hopeless for her to live on.

haiz

I believe when you are completely hopeless, maybe you dont need any courage for you to jump off.

some said the neck would have broken due to gravity before touches ground.

luckily didnt hit anyone below. 40yrs and if drunk and cannot manage herself, then i have nothing to say.

Then parachutists how?