When overseas for vacation

Phuakangtao

When overseas for vacation  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do u use credit cards or change as much foreign cash as possible

• Credit card
    • Cash
    • I have no money to travel

Normally I change money in SG accordingly to the number of days overseas. I usually change S$100/per day and S$100 extra for emergency.

Bring credit card in case need to buy big ticket items.

Will also bring abt S$200-300 cash in case of emergency.

But for business travel, usually only change S$50-100. Cos no chance to spend money. Most of the time is airport - hotel - vessel. Only get to walk ard the airport to buy stuff.

Twincharged

Use cash most of the time especially if its a small shop because the bank told me that certain countries got more credit card fraud. They might be stealing your card info when you pass it to them for payment. Only if really expensive items then I use card.

Use credit card to earn points and exchange rate more or less the same. It is also much safer to carry cash around so why not?

I tried to clear all the air tickets and hotel charges using credit card when i book online in sg.

so mainly use cash only for daily expenses when overseas, credit only for emergency.

also got a money belt and usually fold around US$400 + photocopy of my front passport inside, that one for really f***up situation when you are rob of everything.

Hypersonic

I used my credit card for hotel in Sri Lanka,

next thing I know, I had a call asking me

if I was buying a fridge in England online.

I told the bank no as I wasn't in UK.

Obviously the hotel front office was

doing an online shopping spree with my

card. Anyway illegal online transactions

are insured so you never have to pay

for fraud.

[:p]

[:p] as above comments?

depends on country & bank. sometimes there credit card rates may actually be better than the regular $$ changer.

eg, In korea, esp Seoul when the local shop, converts using the exact WON-> SGD rate and the korean bank charges you in SGD.

mice

always change cash in sg, bring as much as possible like for 2 person 3k sgd depending on the trip, if to Japan then 2 person 5k and bring 500 USD just in case no $ changer accept SGD there and 1000 SGD. Only use credit card to buy expensive things.

Turbocharged

what about the cards with the so-called microchip that is supposed to deter this... still not safe?

i have been wanting to know.. so far i also been using cash for my overseas trips..

I tried to clear all the air tickets and hotel charges using credit card when i book online in sg.

so mainly use cash only for daily expenses when overseas, credit only for emergency.

also got a money belt and usually fold around US$400 + photocopy of my front passport inside, that one for really f***up situation when you are rob of everything.

you are good

will learn from you

thank you [:)]

what about the cards with the so-called microchip that is supposed to deter this... still not safe?

i have been wanting to know.. so far i also been using cash for my overseas trips..

yeah.. thought the chip cannot be "cloned"?