NTUC Hawker Stalls

Cheepo

good: if they can keep the price low for long long time...

bad: other stores may close down and kpkb ntuc monopolies the business...

Why don't NTUC venture into regional business if they need to expand, rather than expanding into the local hawker business ? They can be another Carrefour, Tesco or Jusco in Malaysia or Thailand, and compete with the real world.

this one meant to help the low income group or no income like students n ns boys :D

Easy, can just give NTUC vouchers right ? Or discount card for students and low income.

then they have to collaborate with coffee shop or chup chai peng stores, not many they can work with islandwide, self operate store also increase employment PROVIDED they hire local or local willing to work :D

How did they manage to sell below market price ? Did they hire local hawkers ? [laugh] I think all this low-cost BS about hawker food is killing our local hawker food and culture. They can just sell low priced NTUC frozen lunch pack at their supermarket, no need to invade the hawker food market.

if you are the student or ns boy, would you go into the supermark, get a frozen pack queue to pay and then microwave yourself ? or just show your ID at coffee shop and get a $1.99 chup chai peng -_-

Twincharged

If I have no money, I will just buy anything cheap. NTUC can install microwave just like 7-eleven. Who else will sell $1.99 chup chai peng ? Very rare, except in very old pre-renovated hawker centres where rent is still relatively cheap to local hawkers. If they can partner with local hawkers, offer them cheap supply of meat and vegetables, and then provide discount food for students and low income families.

I have lunch at golden shoe. $2 for 3 dishes and $2.5 for 4 dishes.

Choose all meat also same price.

If I have no money, I will just buy anything cheap. NTUC can install microwave just like 7-eleven. Who else will sell $1.99 chup chai peng ? Very rare, except in very old pre-renovated hawker centres where rent is still relatively cheap to local hawkers. If they can partner with local hawkers, offer them cheap supply of meat and vegetables, and then provide discount food for students and low income families.

there are too many variable to control if partner with other hawker and the hawker may abuse the so call cheap supplies or discount. Unless you want to argue from the point that other hawker are been put in a disadvantage competition, then i agree. but for a real needy consumer, this is a good news.

but i can see a few bigger chains of chup chai peng store (multiple store in many coffee shop) are millionaires themselve.

Twincharged

Yes, Golden Shoe is one of those pre-renovated locations. I thought there are already plans to demolish Golden Shoe very soon ?

Hope not so soon. And i also do not think it will be soon as CCT is now redeveloping market st. Tearing down golden show now will further reduce their property income.

If our local hawkers are so enterprising that they made themselves millionaires through chip chai peng, we should let them grow. SMEs are the pillars of our domestic economy.

When i was doing some sociology modules a few years back, i read about an interesting paper on the idea of a Developmental State. The basic idea is that the State through subsumed quasi State Cooperative(s), assumes the role of the capitalist class and entrenches itself deeply in almost all aspects of the economy. By doing so, it stifles the growth of the Capitalist class as well as private businesses, considering the formidable resources at its sleeves. You can regard the Development State theory as another instance of a discussion on State micromanagement.

There some stalls run by older folks who merely make ends meet selling cheap food. If the ntuc scheme is going to kill the businees of these older folks, can ntuc avoid the kill by absorbing these stalls plus re-employing the old folks with salaries similar to their current income? Ntuc has the economy of scale to do this. This way the old folks can still survive, the customers get to enjoy cheap food.

I know NTUC manages coffee shops or canteens called NTUC Foodfare. In fact, they also manage some of the cookhouses in army camps too.

Turbocharged

give them credit

i applaud them for doing this, cos not everyone can buy the discounted chap cai png (i read only for those with senior citizen pass, student pass, NS ID, etc)

↡ Advertisement