Summons filed to order PM Lee to court hearing

Hephaestus

Summons filed to order PM Lee to court hearing on by-election

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporesc...-102601051.html

In yet another twist to the court case over the Prime Minister's (PM) discretionary powers to call by-elections, the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) has filed an application to dismiss the application by Hougang resident Vellama Marie Muthu.

Vellama had sought the court to order the PM to call a by-election in Hougang within three months or any such time as the court deems fit. She also asked the court to declare that the PM does not have "unfettered discretion" in deciding whether and when to call by-elections.

The AGC's press release on Thursday said Vellama's application is "frivolous or vexatious and/or an abuse of the process of the court".

The AGC added: "Given the calling of the by-election on May 9, and the by-election on May 26, the AGC maintains the view that the entire substratum of the proceedings has gone and it would be an abuse of the process of court for the plaintiff to continue the proceedings."

This latest twist comes after the AGC itself had withdrawn its appeal

↡ Advertisement

I really wonder would PM Lee really turn up and get himself cross-examined. If he dun turn up, I wonder would they do anything to him?

I really wonder would PM Lee really turn up and get himself cross-examined. If he dun turn up, I wonder would they do anything to him?

i thought dont turn up=arrest?

(edited)

what I hear is that some constitution law experts/academics are willing to stand in court to give their opinion that the constitution does not give the premier unlettered decision per say.... of course the AGC council will their stable of experts that will testify the constitution does give the premier the sole discretion...

the last time the members of the law society challenged the MIWs, we all know what happened...

Edited by Hephaestus

By allowing more foreign law firm into singapore.

We will see more lively court cases, as foreigne lawyers are more garang.

By allowing more foreign law firm into singapore.

We will see more lively court cases, as foreigne lawyers are more garang.

I think they will learn very soon who is in charge....

lees-law-how-singapore-crushes-dissent-chris-lydgate-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Hypersonic

i thought dont turn up=arrest?

It's just a civil case and not criminal so not turning up doesn't mean arrest.... I think

what I hear is that some constitution law experts/academics are willing to stand in court to give their opinion that the constitution does not give the premier unlettered decision per say.... of course the AGC council will their stable of experts that will testify the constitution does give the premier the sole discretion...

the last time the members of the law society challenged the MIWs, we all know what happened...

pardon my ignorance.. what happened ar?

Fail to turn up equal to arrest. Notice to Attend Court will be issued by magistrate and failure to turn up will end up warrant of arrest issued if I'm not wrong. If PM Lee don't turn up, it will become like Yaw Shin Leong case, silence means admitance. If he turns up, there is still chance of letting others know his part of the story. Of course, homework must be done before going to court.

Neutral Newbie

aiyah, not a very serious case. He doesn't need to attend to it. His lawyer can Kao Dim. Just a waste of time. how to get the singaporean out of the high inflations more important.

yup, who dares to arrest him??? wahahahahaha...

he is not above the law, he IS THE LAW... sad to say but it's the truth...

aiyah, not a very serious case. He doesn't need to attend to it. His lawyer can Kao Dim. Just a waste of time. how to get the singaporean out of the high inflations more important.

if he is required to take the stand then he has to go i guess.