News: need LTA approval to install incar cam?

SimonTan

Nothing is free....the cost will be pushed to the taxi drivers eventually...and passengers of course.

Worstif the accident is caused by the taxi driver, can taxi driver purposely say forgot to turn on the cam? I think it's hard since it become mandatory.

Why pay money to get farked in own ass by the law?

Better to spend own $$$ and install own camera. If favorable use the video to fight claims.

If not favorable, bua bodoh, just don't reveal the video.

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012

The New Paper

Three cab firms get LTA nod for in-car cameras

By Rennie Whang

THREE of the seven taxi companies here have obtained approval to install cameras inside their taxis, aLand Transport Authority (LTA) spokesman told The New Paper on Wednesday.

They are Comfort, CityCab and TransCab.

At least one more company, Prime Taxi, is going through the application process.

The LTA spokesman said that applying companies need to provide the objective for installing the equipment, its technical specifications and mounting mechanism, as well as the implementation schedule for installing the equipment.

She said: "LTA will take into account the information submitted by the taxi company and consider factors such as the safe mounting of the equipment, and whether it will unduly affect the safety, comfort and privacy of passengers."

Prime Taxi general manager Eric Ang said yesterday that his company was still sourcing for the right product and vendor. He said: "In-car cameras in all our taxis will happen, but not immediately."

Both SMRT and Prime Taxi said information on costs - including how much a driver would have to foot - would come at a later date.

In-car cameras would benefit taxi drivers and their passengers as it would expedite accident claims, defence lawyer Gloria James said. It would also come in handy if, say, a passenger sues the cabby in an accident.

Such insurance claims can be hefty.

In 2003, a lawyer was awarded $300,000 compensation when a taxi slammed into the rear of a taxi he had been riding in, resulting in whiplash.

Said Ms James: "In an accident, the passenger sues the driver even if the taxi has been hit from behind.

"The taxi driver then has to bring in the driver of the other car as a co-defendant. In-car camera footage would prove the taxi driver's case and help transfer liability."

[email protected]

This article was first published in The New Paper.

↡ Advertisement

Wah Lau..... I had done installing and need LTA approval????? [furious]

I remember the last time (late 80's) when vehicles owner install the 3rd brake lights at the rear windscreen, LTA initial stage also disapprove and enforcement action taken to those installed. After some argument and ding dong with certs from US & EU shown that it aid safety only then approve. :ph34r:

Those who remember, the 3rd brakes light comes with 2 bars and 2 'red' lights on it which was installed on both side. Then comes with a single one stick onto the windscreen and later Nissan Presea which was installed on the boot cover. Initial disapproval because of distracting the rear driver. I was asked to take them out... [mad]

What if the cameras proposed by the taxi companies are installed?

Does the image belongs to taxi companies? Can the taxi driver sell the video to newspaper to earn money?( like the Bugis accident video)?

Does the image belongs to taxi companies? Can the taxi driver sell the video to newspaper to earn money?( like the Bugis accident video)?

side income for taxi drivers .... [sly]

supplying video to press.. [:p] , hmmmmm........... if TP want video evidents, taxi driver can sell to them.. :blink:

If installed by taxi company, video will be property of taxi company. Some car cam has accessories to seal the camera to prevent tampering. So I would thing taxi company will go for that.

Neutral Newbie

actually any value for money cameras ? like budget of 100+ ? i've seen some below a 100 but wonder the reliability and clearity of videos.

actually any value for money cameras ? like budget of 100+ ? i've seen some below a 100 but wonder the reliability and clearity of videos.

Want budget, will also get budget quality.

Below 100, china car recorders plentiful. Search Aliexpress or Dealextreme.

↡ Advertisement