2013 Cruze

Erykool

Just to add on to kiakoup's post, I own a 2013 facelifted Cruze (1.6 non-turbo model).

1) Aphine service center overall service and skill is good.

(Can agree with that. My experience with them has been pleasant with them so far.)

2) Pickup more powerful compare to normal non-turbo 1.6 vehicle, 2000rpm at 100km/h

(Agree. I tested the Cruze 1.4T and it is a lot faster than my 1.6)

3) Lots of car accessories.

(Did chrome trimming for my windows.)

4) Built for cruzing at expressway/fuel saver.

(Agree. Very stable on expressways.)

5) Car is well insulated.

(Totally agree, minus the fact that my 1.6 can be a bit noisy at low speeds.)

6) GPS system is very useful.

(Agree. Maps were updated for me when I go for servicing as well.)

7) Original tire from hankook K415 is very good, silent and effective.

Cons:

1) Normal city driving not really fuel efficient, my mileage is about 8.6l/100km

(You are lucky. I average about 10.6l/100km so far for my 1.6l, based on 90% city driving and less than 10km per trip.)

2) Bodykit not much choice in Singapore, need to import.

(You can always get from Taobao.)

3) Wheel pcd is not common 5x105, need to import

(I didn't know of that. I am happy with the design of the stock 16in rims though.)

4) DIY is difficult due to solid panel, difficult to remove.

In terms of reliability, it depends on your luck. I was unlucky as mine had quite a few problems during my course of ownership. Less than a week after receiving car, rain sensor wiper stopped working due to blown fuse. Power window went crazy (winds down on its own) after a year. Checked and replaced faulty motor. Just recently in January, I got a "Code 89" which the service centre deny having such a code. Checked and turns out that one of the thermostat was faulty and got it replaced. Even though faced with these problems, I am still generally happy with the car as in all cases, Alpine Motors rectified them for me without any delays or additional charges.

I suppose the Turbo version should be better as its newer. When I received my car in June 2013, I noted that the date of manufacture was actually 2012. Means that it had been sitting in the warehouse for some time before delivery. Just be sure to check with the salesperson before buying.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Yes, I also experience a few problems when I get my car last yr, but is minor problem.

1) Rear door cant open from outside (fixed)

2) Squeaky sound when go over hump (fixed)

3) Pulsating braking (fixed)

As I say still tracking on reliability.

Edited by kiakcoup

Seems like I am not the only person having quality issues. Build quality apparently cannot compare to my previous 2006 Honda City VTEC(M), which did not have any issues over my 6.5 years of ownership.

My service adviser also mentioned that a common complaint of the car is the inability to shift to 6th gear upon cruising. So far I have not encountered such problem. Anyone has this issue?

Supercharged

I hv recurring issue since first year n Alpine still cannot resolve.

Gear change at certain km/h can feel the car jerking.

Anybody hv this prob? Thinking of getting another workshop to look at this.

Their svcing pricy n svc cmi.

I hv recurring issue since first year n Alpine still cannot resolve.

Gear change at certain km/h can feel the car jerking.

Anybody hv this prob? Thinking of getting another workshop to look at this.

Their svcing pricy n svc cmi.

It seems that you are not the one having this issue. I read online other owners in other parts of the world they also experience the same thing at low speeds(below 30mph). It's likely to be the gb programming. I also encounter the same thing at low speeds. In between gear shifts, shifting down especially, like there's some hesitation and dan jerk. Maybe I should feedback to the service center too. I'm driving the Orlando btw. I heard Maulibu also the gb programming is just as bad. What I do now at low speeds when the expressway is congested I switch to manual mode and do the manual shifting to minimise the jerking.

The local service center can't do much on issues like this. The most they could do is feedback to GM and wait for them to do something.

You haven't seen Honda servicing. They haven't check your car and they start recommending you to do all sorts of unnecessary services that your car doesn't need. Alpine so far I see their servicing package(coming from AD and not some small time workshop) it's reasonable and they dun hard sell. I know they used to do that in the past but now they dun any-o-how.

Edited by Watwheels

Hi Qpik,

I have not heard of such problem. Jerky gear changes are not uncommon. Mine sometimes shifts in a jerky manner especially from the first to second gear. The only problem I heard from the service advisors is the inability to shift to gear 6 after engine gets heated.

Take note of your shift points. It should be relatively consistent. When you reach 50km/h, you should be already on 5th gear if you are light footed. The 6T40 gearbox on our Cruze is programmed to upshift as early as possible for economy. Jerky shifts can be due to electronics too. I understand the shifting action from second gear onwards uses electric switches to activate.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the gearbox.

Supercharged

Hey WatWheels, my probs are not ltd to low gear. In fact, these surfaced after the 1st servicing. When I let go of accelerator at 90km/h n it slows down to 70km/h it will jerked n another round at 50km/h.

During first yr, I send in so many times.

Other issues are the aircon vent causing my windscreen to fog n also the remote.

Now I wonder whether is it this model, brand or the AD cmi.

My previous Latio had some ECU prob but TC was so responsive to addressed it.

With Alpine, they always gave me same excuse.

Hey WatWheels, my probs are not ltd to low gear. In fact, these surfaced after the 1st servicing. When I let go of accelerator at 90km/h n it slows down to 70km/h it will jerked n another round at 50km/h.

During first yr, I send in so many times.

Other issues are the aircon vent causing my windscreen to fog n also the remote.

Now I wonder whether is it this model, brand or the AD cmi.

My previous Latio had some ECU prob but TC was so responsive to addressed it.

With Alpine, they always gave me same excuse.

That's pretty odd. Now your car is into how many years? Still the same issues?

Have you tried asking the service ppl to replace the ATF? Coz they believe the 6T40 gb doesn't need to change gb ATF and will only do the ATF replacement on request.

Edited by Watwheels

Supercharged

That's pretty odd. Now your car is into how many years? Still the same issues?

Have you tried asking the service ppl to replace the ATF? Coz they believe the 6T40 gb doesn't need to change gb ATF and will only do the ATF replacement on request.

Second yr.

Believed me when I said I hv been searching on the internet for solutions.

N I hv tried numerous time to get them change ATF but they said they change when they replaced the parts.

All they did was reprogram until they change some part's but the problem still back.

N now they can only tell me they hv raised this prob to the principal but apparently they need more cases to collate the stats bfore they will take further actions.

So now I am checking around for similar cases n what the owners hv done.

Yes, I also experience a few problems when I get my car last yr, but is minor problem.

1) Rear door cant open from outside (fixed)

2) Squeaky sound when go over hump (fixed)

3) Pulsating braking (fixed)

As I say still tracking on reliability.

Can you advise how they fix the squeaky sound when go over hump? It seems like Qashqai having same problem.

Thanks

Second yr.

N I hv tried numerous time to get them change ATF but they said they change when they replaced the parts.

All they did was reprogram until they change some part's but the problem still back.

N now they can only tell me they hv raised this prob to the principal but apparently they need more cases to collate the stats bfore they will take further actions.

I see.

I'm loving my Cruze and each time I drive it, I always wondered why on earth people will get Altis for a higher price and less driving fun. I love the weighty steering of the Cruze. I tried the turbo version and steering is definitely lighter as it's electric power steering instead of hydraulic.

If asked about maintenance, I don't think it's worth servicing outside. Yes you might save a bit but they only service what you ask to do. I had bad experience with my previous car which was serviced outside. Ended up with lots of problem that could be avoided if I stick to the agent.

I just happened to see your post.

My previous car was a Chevrolet Optra 1.6A FL and it went into early retirement. My present car is a Toyota Altis.

[:)]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

2013 one looks quite nice, unfortunately 1.4T 138bhp fell to CAT B, cannot afford,

10753_g25_b.jpg

curious when 2015 Curze can come to Singapore, 1.5L 118bhp

the photo is pre-facelift which I think is 2009-2011 model?

Supercharged

Second yr.

I remember I did came across the chevy forum that the ATF has to be replaced frequently despite GM says it's long-life..

you can get them changed at outside workshop but do ensure they use the same specs..

I remember I did came across the chevy forum that the ATF has to be replaced frequently despite GM says it's long-life..

you can get them changed at outside workshop but do ensure they use the same specs..

I have the habit to change ATF every 10K. It is always good to have clean oil on your gear than something that has stay in the gearbox for long time. It also allow you to see if there is containmant, which may requires you to change the seal and so on.

(edited)

Any one feel the difference between octance 95 and 98 for cruze 1.4 turbo?

It seems the 1.4T prefers to drink 98 rather than 95. The throttle response was immediate with Esso octane 98. Just a light tap on the accelerator pedal and it will spring off. If I top up with octane 95, it requires more pedal effort for the car to response. The mileage is better with 98 than with 95.

My driving pattern is 80% city and 20% highway. In city driving, I've always encountered traffic jam for 15 to 20 mins.

It affects my fuel consumption and the average reading is always greater than 11 KM/L after 11000+KM distance.

Going over hump will hear some squeaking noise behind the seat, but Alpine Motors add some grease to lubricate the parts. Not sure which part they did it.

I did encounter steering wheel noises while reversing. But it was resolved after Alpine Motors tighten the steering. [:)]

BTW, Alpine Motors recommend to change the ATF once every 40,000KM.

After owning this car for 6 months, it serves me well and does not give me any major problems.

I've a heavy foot and always drive aggressively. On highway it can easily hit 120KM/H without much effort. The engine noise is muted and I does not feel the car traveling fast. Even when its in engine break mode, I do not hear the roaring engine sound.

It does not have a sport mode which my previous car have it, but the car is able to downshift using the manual mode when approaching speed cam.

Overall i'm satisfy with the car. [grin]

Edited by Xtrah

There is no perceivable difference between 95 and 98 octane on a 1.6 face-lifted Cruze. Even if there was, it was only for a short period of time and after a few days, I had gotten used to the response.

It seems like the 1.4T version has better fuel economy than the 1.6 version. I am consistently getting about 9-10km/l, doing 95% city driving (short distances). My ride has clocked over 35000km over the last 2 years.

I have my share of problems too. Recently, door panel plastic started giving creaking sound when moving. That is probably due to the long exposure to direct sunlight.

Also, my rear brakes are very noisy, making sounds whenever I reverse my car. That may be a sign of worn brake pads though.

And yes, I agree the Cruze is a very quiet and comfortable car. Even after 2 years, it feels very quiet at speeds of 80-100km/h.

Right now, I am anticipating the launch of the 2016 Cruze. Hopefully it reaches Singapore with impressive equipment as well. After all, with direct competitors like the Elantra and K3 offering loads of equipment for very little money, Chevrolet cannot afford to short-change us here.

↡ Advertisement