BCA to check housing estates with cases of falling windows

Darthrevan

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) said it will be zeroing in on housing estates where there had been cases of falling windows, for future inspections.

BCA has been conducting windows inspections at private and HDB estates since 2006.

This comes as the number of falling windows shot up 75 per cent in the first five months of the year.

There were 35 cases of falling windows between January and May, compared to 20 in the same period last year.

The number of fallen windows is on the rise, with 57 cases last year, up from 50 in 2010.

The BCA's Building Plan and Management Group Deputy Director, Jeremy Tan said seven in 10 cases were due to poor maintenance.

"For BCA, every fallen window is a serious incident. However, since 2004 there has been seven fallen windows incidents which have caused injury. Moving forward, we would like to encourage the public to periodically maintain their windows to ensure their window safety."

Most of these cases involved casement windows which are attached to frames by hinges.

85 per cent of casement windows fell off because homeowners did not replace aluminium rivets with stainless steel ones.

BCA and HDB said they have stepped up efforts to raise awareness, with 10 roving exhibitions on window safety planned for this year, compared to just one last year.

Toolkits will also be distributed to residents to help them check their windows.

The kits comprise of a mirror to help them check if their window screws are loose; a brush, and a bottle of oil to help them clean and lubricate joints and moveable parts.

Homeowner Colin Khoo said the extra education efforts would help.

"I think it's about proper education but I think sometimes, generally, windows we always believe that it's a very sturdy piece of equipment and nothing can happen and so over the many years, people tend to take it for granted that this construction is of sturdiness, so it's just being careful and being more aware I think at the end of the day about doing your window checks. And I think generally what BCA recommends is do it every half a year."

Under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act, homeowners or tenants could be fined up to S$10,000, and jailed up to one year, if a window falls due to lack of maintenance.

Those found to have casement windows with aluminium rivets also face a further penalty of S$5,000 and six months jail, for failing to retrofit their windows with stainless steel rivets.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1205439/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) said it will be zeroing in on housing estates where there had been cases of falling windows, for future inspections.

BCA has been conducting windows inspections at private and HDB estates since 2006.

This comes as the number of falling windows shot up 75 per cent in the first five months of the year.

There were 35 cases of falling windows between January and May, compared to 20 in the same period last year.

The number of fallen windows is on the rise, with 57 cases last year, up from 50 in 2010.

The BCA's Building Plan and Management Group Deputy Director, Jeremy Tan said seven in 10 cases were due to poor maintenance.

"For BCA, every fallen window is a serious incident. However, since 2004 there has been seven fallen windows incidents which have caused injury. Moving forward, we would like to encourage the public to periodically maintain their windows to ensure their window safety."

Most of these cases involved casement windows which are attached to frames by hinges.

85 per cent of casement windows fell off because homeowners did not replace aluminium rivets with stainless steel ones.

BCA and HDB said they have stepped up efforts to raise awareness, with 10 roving exhibitions on window safety planned for this year, compared to just one last year.

Toolkits will also be distributed to residents to help them check their windows.

The kits comprise of a mirror to help them check if their window screws are loose; a brush, and a bottle of oil to help them clean and lubricate joints and moveable parts.

Homeowner Colin Khoo said the extra education efforts would help.

"I think it's about proper education but I think sometimes, generally, windows we always believe that it's a very sturdy piece of equipment and nothing can happen and so over the many years, people tend to take it for granted that this construction is of sturdiness, so it's just being careful and being more aware I think at the end of the day about doing your window checks. And I think generally what BCA recommends is do it every half a year."

Under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act, homeowners or tenants could be fined up to S$10,000, and jailed up to one year, if a window falls due to lack of maintenance.

Those found to have casement windows with aluminium rivets also face a further penalty of S$5,000 and six months jail, for failing to retrofit their windows with stainless steel rivets.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1205439/1/.html

No mention why not check on the window design flaws, like I mentioned to them before?

↡ Advertisement