CNA: People spending more money on pets

Darthrevan

Pet owners appear to be spending more on furry companions, going by the business at the shops and farms. Shop owners said customers are willing to pay more for the premium breeds, compared to five years ago.

They are also prepared to spend more on grooming and veterinary fees.

The Holland Lops, Miniature Lion Lops and Netherland Dwarf rabbits do not come cheap. Pet shop owners said some of the more exotic breeds cost between S$800 and S$1,000.

One of the rabbits is touted as a champion at a rabbit show in the US, and comes with a price tag of S$8,000.

According to pet shop owners, interest in these American-imported rabbit breeds began two years ago.

Pet owners are also splurging on pet care, with some prepared to pay up to S$10,000 for surgery.

Eric Lim, director of Ericsson Pet Farm, said: "Spending on animals has increased a lot. Like for example, in those days, they're willing to spend S$1,000 to S$2,000 on a dog. But today, people can spend up to S$10,000 on the dogs."

Dr Jason Teo E-Shen, a veterinary surgeon, said: "They treat their pets as part of their family and are willing to go all the way. I think the newer generation is more educated. They do know a lot more about animals and they are willing to come down to consult a doctor when there is a problem."

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1205341/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

Some pet dogs have better life than human. I do see pet dogs being driven around in Merc and BMW, very ho mia.

We Singaporeans are dam stupid.

Don't want children but want pet to lavish our 'affection' upon.

And then carry pet around the place like a child and spend money on pet like nobody's business.

But have to get a maid to do all the dirty stuff for pet and take it out for walks in heat of the day or evening.

[confused][crazy][knife]

unless pet is cheaper?

[confused][confused]

Yep. If these people sent all the money they spend on a pet to africa can probably keep a child alive.

But it is just the way of the world.

We Singaporeans are dam stupid.

Don't want children but want pet to lavish our 'affection' upon.

And then carry pet around the place like a child and spend money on pet like nobody's business.

But have to get a maid to do all the dirty stuff for pet and take it out for walks in heat of the day or evening.

[confused][crazy][knife]

Do you know WTF you are toking about?

Yep. If these people sent all the money they spend on a pet to africa can probably keep a child alive.

But it is just the way of the world.

easily 10 or more. each kid jus needs US$1 a day to survive.

Turbocharged

Yup, kinda stupid to lavish such money on an animal. IMHO, even if those people don't want to have children, then it's better to save up all that money instead of spending it on a dog or cat.

But it just goes to show that we human beings have a need to nurture... so for those who elect not to have children, it's like suppressing their true nature which will always come to the surface. So they have pets that they treat like children [laugh]

To be fair though, a pet gives less trouble than a child.

Pets are good companions especially for the elderly and those lonely. So it's an individuals own wish to spend money or not to spend money on pets..

Same logic as spending on cars..some need car for everyday use, some prefer public transport so no need car..And some even spend so much $$$ to mod cars like having 89 tv sets in the car [laugh]...So it depends on individual...

Anyway, a pet is a living thing and a car is not..so spending on a living thing's health/needs is better than spending on a car [;)]

Neutral Newbie

I was at a supermart near the pets food section when I saw this old couple with their adult son. Son said to parents "We must get the best dog food for her(their pet dog). A couple of minutes later, the mother asked where they should have dinner. The son replied "Food court of course, cheaper there". ....\

The mother kept quiet but I was sure I could see sadness in her eyes.

I was at a supermart near the pets food section when I saw this old couple with their adult son. Son said to parents "We must get the best dog food for her(their pet dog). A couple of minutes later, the mother asked where they should have dinner. The son replied "Food court of course, cheaper there". ....\

It's her fault what. Bring up the son to be like that. She should have held her son at gun point and make sure he find a woman and get married. :D

(edited)

Pets are good companions especially for the elderly and those lonely. So it's an individuals own wish to spend money or not to spend money on pets..

Same logic as spending on cars..some need car for everyday use, some prefer public transport so no need car..And some even spend so much $$$ to mod cars like having 89 tv sets in the car [laugh]...So it depends on individual...

Anyway, a pet is a living thing and a car is not..so spending on a living thing's health/needs is better than spending on a car [;)]

But it is precisely that a pet is a living thing that distinguishes it from all other luxury items and GENERALLY people who own pets are so emotionally attached that it comes at the expense of their own human emotional ties with other PEOPLE.

A car is just a car - I never consider it family.

But lots of people, in a misplaced fit of love, state their clueless bull terrier as an integral part of the family. And all downstream issues starts - dog poo, dog biting children and yet they defend their dog and themselves and can't let go.

I agree it is people own wish. And I am ok so long they keep their dogs away from innocent people and real human family.

And when the dog crossed the line or when anyone enter into any tussle with dogs, people should know that the dog is only a dog, and NEVER family.

I am not writing as a cat. [laugh]

Edited by Littleknown

Yup, kinda stupid to lavish such money on an animal. IMHO, even if those people don't want to have children, then it's better to save up all that money instead of spending it on a dog or cat.

But it just goes to show that we human beings have a need to nurture... so for those who elect not to have children, it's like suppressing their true nature which will always come to the surface. So they have pets that they treat like children [laugh]

To be fair though, a pet gives less trouble than a child.

it is not silly to spend lavishly on a pet or some thing as that/it is a passion to them....

For example: you may spend $6.50 for a kopi at starbucks while i spend only $1.00 for mine.... So to you it is worth while and based on your above mentioned reasoning, someone will say you are silly....

anyhow, pets are great companions as compared to kids... at least when they done something wrong or naughty, you scold them, they will acknowledge and not bite back....

Try doing that a 3-5 yrs old kid whom is spoilt.... probably will chun the rolling on the floor plus screaming at the top of the voice technique......

(edited)

nothing wrong with that actually becos most pet food are actually crap and cause cancers. esp. those canned food. Imagine you eating canned food everyday. Same thing for pets. But supermarket pet food is actually really bad, so buying the 'best' at the supermart is still rubbish food which is worse then food court food.

I used to feed my dogs kibble/dog food until we did the math and turns out if we cook for them, same weight, costs the same.

anyway, what other ppl do with their $$$ is their par-sah. ppl go geylang and century KTV not waste $$$ meh? Might as well also say pay $$$ pump petrol is car is waste $$$ also. pui

Edited by Mockngbrd