Maids not allowed to clean exterior of windows unless superv

Dafansu

Turbocharged

SINGAPORE: The Manpower Ministry has ruled that with immediate effect, employers shall not allow their foreign domestic workers to clean the exterior of windows unless two safety conditions are met.

Firstly, the employer or an adult is physically present to supervise the maid.

And, secondly, window grilles must be installed and locked at all times during the cleaning process.

MOM said the new rules will apply to all homes, except for windows that are at ground level or along common corridors.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1205502/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

I think this is a good rule.

Even better if just not allow maid to clean exterior of window at all. If you can watch your maid clean the window, then you should be able to clean it yourself.

Most Maids are quite pette, have short arms, so cleaning windows may be hard for them, unless use good window tools. But knowing most Singaporeans, they will not invest such tools (even though it is not expensive) for their maids.

Also, if you have a window that is not the first floor, or have corridor, then sliding windows should not be allow., or at least discourage.

This MOM want employer to ensure this & ensure that but do they stop for a moment and think, what if the maid gets over enthusiastic and go clean the windows exterior on her own initiative forgetting whatever MOM told them?

Ppl might as well quit their job, stay at home and DIY clean the house. What for hire a maid?

Turbocharged

This MOM want employer to ensure this & ensure that but do they stop for a moment and think, what if the maid gets over enthusiastic and go clean the windows exterior on her own initiative forgetting whatever MOM told them?

Ppl might as well quit their job, stay at home and DIY clean the house. What for hire a maid?

why the need to in the first place.

if you live in landed i can understand the need of maid to help in sweeping and mopping the floor. but why the need to hire maid if you live in HDB or condo (minus PEnthouse) do house work will die meh??

Turbocharged

the first rule ensures that the owner can be cleanly prosecuted if a maid fall.

Think previously, employers always give reasons like don't know, never tell maid to do so, etc, etc.

why the need to in the first place.

if you live in landed i can understand the need of maid to help in sweeping and mopping the floor. but why the need to hire maid if you live in HDB or condo (minus PEnthouse) do house work will die meh??

Dunno. I dun have a maid. But I do see ppl who have children have maid, the maid is hired to do housework while they take care of the kids. How to keep an eye 24/7 on the maid while juggling with other stuff? I find it ridiculous. As if the maid is also a kid. [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

Dunno. I dun have a maid. But I do see ppl who have children have maid, the maid is hired to do housework while they take care of the kids. How to keep an eye 24/7 on the maid while juggling with other stuff? I find it ridiculous. As if the maid is also a kid. [rolleyes]

no choice. the ruling is not made to punish the maid but rather, the owner.

anyhow hire and dont know how to teach maid.

most chose to hire maid from those kampong area thinking they simple minded easier to bully. so its payback time.

no choice. the ruling is not made to punish the maid but rather, the owner.

anyhow hire and dont know how to teach maid.

most chose to hire maid from those kampong area thinking they simple minded easier to bully. so its payback time.

Employers should not be the one doing the teaching IMO. They require domestic help that is why they hire help. Why are they doing the training? Anyway most employers do not have the luxury to take time off to train them.

Just like our working environment. When employers are hiring workers they would want experienced workers so that they could get to their post and get things done. Why would they want to hire "students" to teach them & babysit them? Even if workers require more training they will be sent to professionals to be trained.

always lock the window grilles and hide the key [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

it is the employer job to clean the windows from now onward :D

Supersonic

first, gahmen comprain say s'poreans not productive enuf.

then it says u need 1 person to clean while another sits around to "supervise".

liddat very productive meh? [confused][confused][confused]

Internal Moderator

always lock the window grilles and hide the key [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

it is the employer job to clean the windows from now onward :D

i don't think it is necessary to clean the exterior of the windows in the first place. you stay HDB, so high up, who cares if the exterior is dirty or not, the rain will do the magic. As long as interior clean, then it's fine. It's a tough job for the maids to have to clean windows, even when my mum does the cleaning, I don't feel it's safe. Maids have families, parents too. I think it's a good move by MOM. Not worth them paying with their lives..just for our EXTERIOR WINDOWS? WHAT FOR!

[laugh]:D[:p]

just my opinion, i don't have a maid anyway.

i don't think it is necessary to clean the exterior of the windows in the first place. you stay HDB, so high up, who cares if the exterior is dirty or not, the rain will do the magic. As long as interior clean, then it's fine. It's a tough job for the maids to have to clean windows, even when my mum does the cleaning, I don't feel it's safe. Maids have families, parents too. I think it's a good move by MOM. Not worth them paying with their lives..just for our EXTERIOR WINDOWS? WHAT FOR!

[laugh]:D[:p]

just my opinion, i don't have a maid anyway.

actually why need to clean the exterior of the windows ??

i only clean the exterior once a year during CNY spring cleaning [laugh] [laugh]

Supersonic
(edited)

Safety rules enforced is good, but i think they still dont understand the root cause of the problem. I think they should educate those maids rather than putting all the blames on the employer. Many times the person doing the chores should be at least have some common knowledge or able to think on their own that if work is to be performance in certain ways, will endanger their own life lo. [rolleyes]

If employ a maid is not to lessen my burden but add on to my burden, example like need to supervise on her work etc, wonder what's the point of hiring a maid?!

Edited by 13177

SINGAPORE: The Manpower Ministry has ruled that with immediate effect, employers shall not allow their foreign domestic workers to clean the exterior of windows unless two safety conditions are met.

Firstly, the employer or an adult is physically present to supervise the maid.

And, secondly, window grilles must be installed and locked at all times during the cleaning process.

MOM said the new rules will apply to all homes, except for windows that are at ground level or along common corridors.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1205502/1/.html

i totally agreed with the ruling....wtf clean the exterior of the windows....why put someone life in risk just for the sake making sure the EXTERIOR of the window is clean??? Maids are also human

Twincharged

I agree that this is good too. I also don't bother with the windows. Only CNY then try to take a mop and clean as clean as possible. Actually they might as well just ban maids from cleaning exterior of the windows. How is the maid going to clean the exterior of the windows if the grills are closed and locked? lol.

Turbocharged

Safety rules enforced is good, but i think they still dont understand the root cause of the problem. I think they should educate those maids rather than putting all the blames on the employer. Many times the person doing the chores should be at least have some common knowledge or able to think on their own that if work is to be performance in certain ways, will endanger their own life lo. [rolleyes]

If employ a maid is not to lessen my burden but add on to my burden, example like need to supervise on her work etc, wonder what's the point of hiring a maid?!

the thing is common knowledge in their country and our country is different. end of day its easy to just say

What this rule means is that now if another maid falls down while cleaning window, the owner can be prosecuted.

Either for not supervising or for failing to save her if he was supervising..

Good rule still. Number of maids who fall down and die doing this job is ridiculously high.

↡ Advertisement