Singapore's growth expected to slow in next decade

Rubbermat

(edited)

SINGAPORE: Singapore's economy will experience growth slower than in the last 10 years.

This, against the backdrop of a more developed economy, internal resources constraints and fierce competition from the region.

But Singapore needs to strive for growth to improve the collective well-being of its people.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said this at the Economic Society of Singapore's annual dinner on Friday evening.

Since 2003, Singapore's economy grew an average 6.3 per cent per year.

Mr Lee said: "Singapore cannot avoid slower growth in the next decade and beyond. This is natural because we are now more developed and we are also running up against land and labour constraints, especially as we reduce the inflow of foreign workers.

"Plus competition is fiercer, not only from hundreds of millions of hungry workers in the emerging economies, but also from new technologies that will transform industries all over the world."

Mr Lee noted that some Singaporeans may desire slower growth, but deliberately slowing growth beyond Singapore's economic potential could have irreversible consequences.

"For Singa

Edited by Rubbermat
↡ Advertisement

Oh please la, PM....tell us something that we don't know...e.g., How much reserve do we still have?

Don't talk thru' your lungs or it becomes 废话。 [rolleyes]

I think the government should be the last to say such a thing. Its job is to grow the economy, not make excuses. Otherwise, the next thing that would be said is that we cannot avoid becoming another Greece/Spain/Italy in 20 years...

Slower growth will lead to unemployment higher?

I thought this will mean the FTs will be laid of first no effect to locals right?

Slower growth will lead to unemployment higher?

I thought this will mean the FTs will be laid of first no effect to locals right?

Basically you're wrong. Our mini-stir said that before. Sinkaporean comes first.

So laid off also Sinkaporean comes first.. [laugh]

Is FT really contributing? Or FT treat our land as stepping stone?

This one I know - they used our land as a stepping stone. I knew a few of them

doing just that - they have no intention to stay in our sinkie concrete citing expensive

walls and rubber and milk. They just worked 2-4 years to gain experience and they

are off to OZ or Uncle Sam - these are the places they will settle down.

4th Gear

This one I know - they used our land as a stepping stone. I knew a few of them

doing just that - they have no intention to stay in our sinkie concrete citing expensive

walls and rubber and milk. They just worked 2-4 years to gain experience and they

are off to OZ or Uncle Sam - these are the places they will settle down.

Recently one of my customer who's a PR migrated to Canada to be a PR.......going to sell off his HDB flat too.... [:p][laugh]

Turbocharged

Basically you're wrong. Our mini-stir said that before. Sinkaporean comes first.

So laid off also Sinkaporean comes first.. [laugh]

oh.. you are finally back as rubbermat??? [laugh]

Lying off is never good. even if FW retrench liao. very fast will be local worker. [bigcry]

1st Gear

No country in the world population decrease income increase.

Here are some 17yrs old stupid qns.

Why not be one with that breakthrough?

Do you not realize increasing population requires increased infrastructures, jobs?

Foreigner inflow overloading all infrastructures, inconveniencing citizens, a calculated risk or a miscalculated or never calculated at all?

Too steep a task?

Not paid enough?

Must always copy others meh?

If only copy others, why not copy the salary standard too?

So copy, compare to justify only when it conveniences policy chosen?

How do you expect people to understand and ultimately support?

Just My personal imagination of how a 17yrs old citizen may think.

oh.. you are finally back as rubbermat??? [laugh]

Lying off is never good. even if FW retrench liao. very fast will be local worker. [bigcry]

I don't get what you mean. I'm the original rubbermat. Rubberpad died in this forum. Mat is still alive.

I don't get what you mean. I'm the original rubbermat. Rubberpad died in this forum. Mat is still alive.

Will yu consider Rubbertube? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]