What Policymakers & Audience Should Do During Dialogues

Vulcann

So some guests speakers are basically going through motion only (混水摸鱼)?

Or the audience are not asking the "right" questions (只知其然,而不知其所以然)?

You decide..

[rolleyes]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_811446.html

FOR DIALOGUES TO WORK...

All must play their part

Published on Jun 16, 2012

THE report ('Expectations differ on dialogues'; last Saturday) raised the issue of how policymakers - parliamentarians and ministers - should respond to questions during dialogues.

Some say the invited guests should be the ones answering questions and proffering solutions, while others argue that the participants should come up with the suggestions.

Both notions are not mutually exclusive.

The best dialogues are those where both parties discuss issues, and suggestions are heard and debated.

Parliamentarians are invited to these sessions because they have the experience in government, are cognisant of socio-economic considerations, and are in constant interaction with their constituents.

In some instances, they have to understand that the participants are asking questions because they do not have the answers.

At the same time, participants have to understand that they are asked for their views because their opinions matter.

In essence, both sides must fulfil their ends of the deal.

Expectations might differ, but they can be tempered and managed if the organisers properly establish the rationale of the dialogues.

My personal experiences have made me realise that there are numerous areas for improvement:

↡ Advertisement

Another well-written article:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_811314.html

Provide better answers at dialogues

Published on Jun 16, 2012

POLICYMAKERS should put dialogue participants at ease if they welcome genuine feedback ('Expectations differ on dialogues'; last Saturday).

Ideally, the guest should first answer the participants' questions before inviting feedback and suggestions from them. Throwing back the same questions can be taken to mean that the policymaker is unable to provide solutions to matters raised.

Worse, some participants may think that they are being ridiculed for asking unpopular or controversial questions.

People attending forums and dialogues are those who desire to hear at first hand issues that matter to them, and it is imperative that policymakers engage them directly.

Usually, I have found these dialogues fruitful, but at times, I am disheartened when answers from policymakers leave much to be desired.

Replies like 'this is the price of progress' and 'Singaporeans are lucky', when being asked why our country has become more crowded, do not address public concerns.

There should be better answers, even if no solutions are forthcoming, so that dialogues can be conducive to better learning and understanding between policymakers and participants.

Jeffrey Law

Its like when a patient asks his doctor why he's having pains, the doctor replies "everyone has pains" , or simply "what do you think? tell me" :o

Supersonic

How about you pay money to attend a class, and the teacher keep asking you "what do you think? "

Its like when a patient asks his doctor why he's having pains, the doctor replies "everyone has pains" , or simply "what do you think? tell me" :o

My response:

Doc you really should join politics 'cause you sure make one helluva excellent candidate...

[laugh]

↡ Advertisement