Unemployment rate for over-30s creeps up

Hephaestus

Turbocharged

A better way would be to get the data from WSG portal as the figures seems to have a better reflection of the state of unemployment.

Maybe a better way to count would be for those that are one year unemployed and take those data in as well.

After all, with Big Data, the govt should have the "big Picture" on where we are at.

Errr they are more concern on data that generate $$$

Example ERP 2

↡ Advertisement

Those jobless for more than 6 months are also excluded from unemployment statistics.

Like me.

So the unemployment rate is actually much higher ?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Wonder why they always fall back on trade war excuse time after time. Other countries seem to benefit greatly from the trade war but we seem to get the other end of the stick.

Means our economy for years has not been diversified enaf or tends to lean heavily towards a certain direction. Good luck.

One minute they say they are the best and should be paid the best. Then they give reasons why cannot achieve. How i wish i can do the same at work and still get paid.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, archcherub said:

2020 now, and unemployment should be going to be one of the worst ever for Singapore 😞

my heart goes out to all those in aviation and tourism industry

while aviation and tourism get the worst hit, there are retrenchment in other industries as well.  Now the Covid 19 situation in Europe and the USA is in chaos, hope their government could bring the situation under control soon, otherwise there would be more impact to the global economy.. 

Those cant find a job in 6 months are considered retired. LoL...

MoM has a great sense of humour. Dont you think so?

They just leave you out of the picture. Easier for the manpower minister to do presentation. Haha...

That's what they put when times are good. Now I dunno if they have changed their tone.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

32 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

They just leave you out of the picture. Easier for the manpower minister to do presentation. Haha...

That's what they put when times are good. Now I dunno if they have changed their tone.

It's a case of cannot improve the numerator, then modify the denominator lor! KPI continues to look good and can still get million dollar bonus! 

How can I add myself to the denominator? I think they left me out.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Hmm.. It seems like every countries follow each other.. Always like to try their best to make figures look as good as possible by using this method. It is not just in Singapore, not just in America, seems like everywhere around the world. All trying their best to tweak and turn to present the best possible figure and neglect on the reality on the ground. 

• Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/the-global-jobs-crisis-and-why-we-should-think-longer-term-0

Thaman has spoken.. This only works if we have very competent government, who is able to crack their brain inside out (lucky we have competent people in the government) . It is super difficult task to oversee so many aspects. As different businesses got different model, even in the same industry itself, also got different working style and etc.. So there is no one size fit everything. Hope we will not be in a situation where government pick winner and loser. If we come to that phase, then there is a higher chance of government making mistake as compared to individual companies. Coz government just can't control everything. Sometimes I feel should let these individuals companies run their own, even if they make mistake. Coz individuals companies make mistake is still better then government make mistake in choosing the winner and loser.. 

Edited by Yewheng

31 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/the-global-jobs-crisis-and-why-we-should-think-longer-term-0

Thaman has spoken.. This only works if we have very competent government, who is able to crack their brain inside out (lucky we have competent people in the government) . 

Don't miss the most important message of the article towards the end - Governments have to rebuild their piggy banks in preparation for the next crisis! How else other than higher taxations? 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Don't miss the most important message of the article towards the end - Governments have to rebuild their piggy banks in preparation for the next crisis! How else other than higher taxations? 

There is another solution.. Which is reduce the size of government.. But as we know, they will never even consider that.. Just see wp, PSP, pap and etc.. Does any of the party even mention or wanting to go into direction of reducing the size of government? No.. Not at all.. All just think that expending the size of government is the way to go.

Maybe at the start should reduce the number of mps. As of current 93 maybe reduce to say 80? So the role of mps should be further streamline. As even at now 93 mps, they seems to overworked and this is not substainsble. So need to think of ways to make it substainsble and and also reduce the size of mps. 

Another aspect is the amount of time spent in parliment session. See how can further improve in time effeciency in the parliment so as not to waste too much time..

Like MP Murali Pillai.. He bring a very good point, hope that speaker of parliment could adopt his proposal.. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-mp-calls-for-it-system-to-track-attendance-and-questions-of-mps-in-the-house

Screenshot_20201102_043425.thumb.jpg.1008ff33242bea89740bd53d1a8d35bd.jpgScreenshot_20201102_042054_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.4f0c29e323f98d6a9bbd848dc0ea2a6d.jpg

His proposal surely will reduce unnecessary airtime in parliament and would improve efficiency. 

Speaker of parliment should also set do and don't on topic to bring up in parliament. Topic that involved individually and or down to individual company decision that on what they should do and what they should not do, should be downright rejected. An example.. The topic of to allow employer to take up 2nd job? This one should downright reject as that involved individuals between employee and employers. No need waste precious time in parliament to debate on this. 

Coz now I feel the amount of time spent in parliment sitting is just too much and might not be sustainable in long run if the parliament sitting duration keep getting longer and longer.. 

Edited by Yewheng

If parliament seating times is reduced, would Oppo MP/NMP chance of speaking up being reduced?
By reducing number of MP, would number of elected OPPO MP reduced?
Not forgetting that most Singaporean afraid of anything that rock current boat

31 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If parliament seating times is reduced, would Oppo MP/NMP chance of speaking up being reduced?
By reducing number of MP, would number of elected OPPO MP reduced?
Not forgetting that most Singaporean afraid of anything that rock current boat

Have to.. Plus this will also re-enforce mp to speak up topic that is really beneficial and not those that down to want government to control at individual companies or individuals level.. An epic one is like I mentioned just now.. To allow employees to work 2 jobs.. 

People will always adept to things that change.. So no worries if parliament time get reduced.. 

In fact, by reducing number of mp, I think the opposite is true.. The % of opposition mp will be higher.. 

Edited by Yewheng

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Have to.. Plus this will also re-enforce mp to speak up topic that is really beneficial and not those that down to want government to control at individual companies or individuals level.. An epic one is like I mentioned just now.. To allow employees to work 2 jobs.. 

People will always adept to things that change.. So no worries if parliament time get reduced.. 

In fact, by reducing number of mp, I think the opposite is true.. The % of opposition mp will be higher.. 

By having reduced MP, there is no assurance that quality will improved.

In fact, when there is reduced MP, number of elected oppo MP might reduced.

Ppl are more worried about municipal issue more than national agenda. 

There is evidence even during recent GE.

↡ Advertisement