Battery indicator, what can be wrong?

Windwaver

my car power totally cut-off when im still driving at 2pm along yio chu kang road.

Lucky, behind no car. if not, sure chain accident.

Heng ah!!!!! Brake and steering wheel is still working well.

1st time SOS for a flat towing car to tow back to agent

Aiyo, battery dead or alternator died?

↡ Advertisement

Aiyo, battery dead or alternator died?

I kenna before, don't play play if alternator faulty. Was thinking just battery indicator light, no big problem can still drive lah. So, what happened when I was at high speed 120km/hr towards CTE tunnel, firstly radio power auto cut off, 10sec later speed meter indicator started to "dance" like crazy and the steerling became heavier and heavier that almost uncontrollable. Luckily not many cars at that time (new year 1 jan 11, 7AM), I reduced speed, switched into lane 2 , lane 3 and managed to stop at road shoulder, phew~~~

Paid for my 2nd hand alternator + labour $1k+. 2nd hand already cost more than 1k, huh? Confirmed no "carrot chop" coz repaired at good friend's workshop. Unless my good friend "chopped" me.

What's the total mileage of your ride before the alternator gave way?

Me? around 100k, I am a "heavy duty" user, my ride travels 30k-40k KM per year, I changed my 3rd battery and had my left drive axel replaced last month .

Me? around 100k, I am a "heavy duty" user, my ride travels 30k-40k KM per year, I changed my 3rd battery and had my left drive axel replaced last month .

OK, that's reasonable I think. Mine failed before 20K :angry:

Hypersonic

Actually battery indicator lights up doesn't mean battery weak, more like alternator not working liao. Which workshop asked you to change battery? What is your car model? Only less than 20K alternator spoiled?

Actually battery indicator lights up doesn't mean battery weak, more like alternator not working liao. Which workshop asked you to change battery? What is your car model? Only less than 20K alternator spoiled?

2nd family car, kia loh but kind of weird cos my dad's korean ride didn't give him problem even after 5 years.

2nd family car, kia loh but kind of weird cos my dad's korean ride didn't give him problem even after 5 years.

Turbocharged

My alternator died. Cost of the alternator almost S$1.6K! PLus others parts, total about S$2k.

my car now like brand new. changed so many worn-out parts within 1year

A) whole steering gear (1 of the joint broke and leaking oil)

B) Left/Right control arm

C) All the 4 suspension

D) Master brake system (no brake at all)

E) All 4 brakes pads and Rotors

F) Left/Right engine mounting

My alternator died. Cost of the alternator almost S$1.6K! PLus others parts, total about S$2k.

my car now like brand new. changed so many worn-out parts within 1year

A) whole steering gear (1 of the joint broke and leaking oil)

B) Left/Right control arm

C) All the 4 suspension

D) Master brake system (no brake at all)

E) All 4 brakes pads and Rotors

F) Left/Right engine mounting

Is that like after 5 years?

(edited)

7yrs old. 1st time change alternator, brake system, steering gear and suspension.

I see, 7 years quite worth it liao but having said that, you car really like almost new [laugh]

Edited by Windwaver

I see. My mileage is not even 20K, does a alternator fail that easily?

BTW, other than alternator and fuse failing, what other things can cause the batter indicator to light up? Wiring? My timing belt still running fine so maybe not that.

BTW, other than alternator and fuse failing, what other things can cause the batter indicator to light up? Wiring? My timing belt still running fine so maybe not that.

Bump bump

Bump again