Battery indicator, what can be wrong?

Windwaver

Using FIAMM battery from AD at pretty good price (stock batt kaput after 1 year) ...

been more than 3 years, and the indicator is still green (yeah i know that means nothing and i should still change it soon).

Edited by Asure7
↡ Advertisement

Cud it b the battery terminal connections were loose or some other wire was loose causing an inttermitent fault n battery unable to charge properly?

Battery terminal connections were tight, not hand tight, spanner tight. I had to use spanner to remove them to bring home to charge. I do not have the equipment to load test the battery. AD mechanics did a load test on the battery and confirmed its battery unable to hold charge.

some time the battery light come out, check battery ok. alternator also ok.

the problem lies with the belting. the mech didnt tigthen the belting tight enough.

and cause the alternator not moving and no charging.

u go there they see already faster ajust and tell u , all ok np. lol

modern cars run on belt tensioner. There is nothing to tighten.

Edited by Hamburger

Right , almost all new cars fan belt is "stretch" type that require a special installation tool. Without this tools most mech use the screw driver as pry bar to force in the belt , unknowingly their use of wrong tool may have cause belt premature failure.

post-272-1377564168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

I am very scared and of maintenance free battery. Some can last quite long but some just die without warning. I Kena twice and now only use wet battery. At least can last 2 years. When you tried that have to top up water more and more, have to be careful already cos it's a sign of end of life. For around$100 per battery, quite worth. Topping up battery water is not that difficult

I am very scared and of maintenance free battery. Some can last quite long but some just die without warning. I Kena twice and now only use wet battery. At least can last 2 years. When you tried that have to top up water more and more, have to be careful already cos it's a sign of end of life. For around$100 per battery, quite worth. Topping up battery water is not that difficult

Can share where you buy wet batt? It's like extinct in Singapore.

Supercharged

Yup, someone did told me the wet battery is better. But where to get it? I see everywhere WS or auto shops all selling the maint. free type only....

Using FIAMM battery from AD at pretty good price (stock batt kaput after 1 year) ...

been more than 3 years, and the indicator is still green (yeah i know that means nothing and i should still change it soon).

FIAMM sud b made in Italy right?

Wah so good 3 yrs still good. [cool]

Battery terminal connections were tight, not hand tight, spanner tight. I had to use spanner to remove them to bring home to charge. I do not have the equipment to load test the battery. AD mechanics did a load test on the battery and confirmed its battery unable to hold charge.

Oh then no choice but change. [smallcry]

Wah u really champion. Can b bothered to remove battery n bring back to yr house to charge.

Fr me if battery show signs of going to die, I just quickly go shop n change. [:/]

Oh n b careful cos if u charge wrongly, the battery can explode like a bomb in yr house. [sweatdrop][angel]

If u need to top-up water often, it means yr alternator is over-charging the battery.

But now most pple use maintenance-free battery. Most can last abt 2 yrs.

If less than that, the battery farked up. But also depends on what electrical stuff u hv. If u overload it wil spoil faster.

Oh then no choice but change. [smallcry]

Wah u really champion. Can b bothered to remove battery n bring back to yr house to charge.

Fr me if battery show signs of going to die, I just quickly go shop n change. [:/]

Oh n b careful cos if u charge wrongly, the battery can explode like a bomb in yr house. [sweatdrop][angel]

The AD wana charge me $75 to tow from my MSCP. I saved the $75, ownself remove battery and charge it since I have the charger.

I am charging batteries everyday, so wont charge wrongly lah. My car cameras are powered by my own DIY batteries and I remove them everyday from the car to charge it. The charger I have is a smart electronic charger. It will detect wrong polarity, give audio n visual alarm and would not charge.

FIAMM sud b made in Italy right?

Wah so good 3 yrs still good. [cool]

Someone who use to work with the distributor told me they have quality issues.

So if you're lucky, you get 3 yrs, otherwise ..most likely it may die early.

Battery with heavily coated sulphate plates are difficult to charge with simple battery charger. The full charge indicated is probably a surface charge and and actually the battery is not charge at all.

To overcome this problem one has to use a battery charger designed to do 3 or more stage charging modes , what it means is that the charger has a built in microprocess that can detect the conditions of the battery plates and decide on the best charging mode.

post-272-1377656915_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

The AD wana charge me $75 to tow from my MSCP. I saved the $75, ownself remove battery and charge it since I have the charger.

I am charging batteries everyday, so wont charge wrongly lah. My car cameras are powered by my own DIY batteries and I remove them everyday from the car to charge it. The charger I have is a smart electronic charger. It will detect wrong polarity, give audio n visual alarm and would not charge.

Ya I saw yr RC boats that day. All damm well done.

Can tell u very experienced in technical stuff.

Next time I need help on electronic/electrical stuff, I know who to ask. [thumbsup]

Someone who use to work with the distributor told me they have quality issues.

So if you're lucky, you get 3 yrs, otherwise ..most likely it may die early.

Anything above 2 yrs is good already.

And for Italy stuff..............most wil hv quality issues. Ty only good in design n style. Mechanical/Techinicial stuff the germans r best. [thumbsup]

Can share how you DIY the cameras battery?

My first wet battery lasted me almost 5 years...

I just top up the water whenever I top up the windscreen wipers or wash car...

But where to buy such battery?

Mine is yuasa..

↡ Advertisement