Scb11980

Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money?

57 yr old Tarahumara runner ran the 100 km race with a pair of sandals made from old rubber tyres and came in first - so much for expensive high end running shoes :-)

Date: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 9:35 PM

The painful truth about trainers:

Are running shoes a waste of money?

Thrust enhancers, roll bars, mic rochips ... the $20 billion running - shoe industry wants us to believe that the latest technologies will cushion every stride.

Yet in this extract from his controversial new book, Christopher McDougall claims that injury rates for runners are actually on the rise, that everything we've been told about running shoes is wrong - and that it might even be better to go barefoot.

By CHRISTOPHER McDOUGALL

Last updated at 8:01 PM on 19th April 2009

Every year, anywhere from 65 to 80 per cent of all runners suffer an injury.

No matter who you are, no matter how much you run, your odds of getting hurt are the same

At Stanford University , California , two sales representatives from Nike were watching the athletics team practise.

Part of their job was to gather feedback from the company's sponsored runners about which shoes they preferred.

Unfortunately, it was proving difficult that day as the runners all seemed to prefer... nothing.

↡ Advertisement

If this is true, maybe SAF should conduct bare-foot running sessions. But i remember duing my NS we ran with normal un-padded PT shoes only. Nowadays all NS men use running shoes with cushions.

It is really up to you, that is why i always find the most comfortable and 'easy to run' sport shoe, don mind the brand, or see got what features etc, just wear it and if it comfortable, then just buy it

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

Proper technique is most important. ^_^

↡ Advertisement

If this is true, maybe SAF should conduct bare-foot running sessions. But i remember duing my NS we ran with normal un-padded PT shoes only. Nowadays all NS men use running shoes with cushions.

i would like to try bare foot running. But very scared if step on sharp pebbles or stones :wacko:

i would like to try bare foot running. But very scared if step on sharp pebbles or stones :wacko:

then run indoors [:p]

It is really up to you, that is why i always find the most comfortable and 'easy to run' sport shoe, don mind the brand, or see got what features etc, just wear it and if it comfortable, then just buy it

This is what i try to do/buy. Any idea how to test-run at the shoe shops? I find that by merely walking around the shop to test the shoes may not give me a good idea if they are suitable or not. [:(]

then run indoors [:p]

are u suggesting threadmill? i dont like 'the machine pushing me' feel.

Running shoes no need super expensive then consider good la. But also cannot get those cheapo running shoes, cause when you run your feet have no protection and might hurt your feet in the long run?! So i guess SAF running should be good deals. :D

The ironic thing is those companies trying to capitalise on this barefoot or minumus running are charging alot for their shoes. just look at the Vibam five fingers ,NB mimimus series, all beyond what I'm willing to pay. Lesser material used, but more ex-

The ironic thing is those companies trying to capitalise on this barefoot or minumus running are charging alot for their shoes. just look at the Vibam five fingers ,NB mimimus series, all beyond what I'm willing to pay. Lesser material used, but more ex-

Maybe they want to tell you that more materials used doesnt mean the shoes is good. Less materials used doesnt mean the shoes is no good?! [rolleyes]

Maybe they want to tell you that more materials used doesnt mean the shoes is good. Less materials used doesnt mean the shoes is no good?! [rolleyes]

It also depends on individual preference. Comfort can already. [laugh] [laugh]

I got a Mizuno running shoe about $180, not as good as my $80 Nike.

• Praise 1

Zola Budd runs barefooted. Can swim, no need expensive shoe. Just have good cushion and use for a year or so if you r a frequent runner.

i just need something that can help absorb some impact....that's it...the SAF shoe is doing me good...in fact i saw the taiwan carrefour sell the same saf asics shoe also...around the same price after i convert..it is around close to SGD50...but saf good...can use credit... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I'm not surprised about running barefoot.

When I was a kid (not that long ago), i used to play soccer and basketball on hard concrete floors barefoot. Sprinted up and down and all over the place. Never had any sort of injuries except for mild blisters every now and then.

Even now, when I run in shoes with thick cushioning, my shin always hurt. Gotta run in something with minimal cushioning.

I can personally vouch for running faster and further..

This is the reason why I prefer to do my shuttle run barefoot, nothing is more grippy than your skin! [;)]

Barefoot also kena!

Best to just sell a foot wear without promise of anything.

http://news.yahoo.com/adidas-sued-over-bar...7--finance.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York man has sued a unit of Adidas AG, claiming he was duped about the potential fitness benefits of a line of shoes designed to mimic the effect of running barefoot.

In a class action lawsuit filed in federal court in Brooklyn on Friday, plaintiff Joseph Rocco said the $90 pair of adiPure shoes he purchased did not deliver the increased training efficiency and decreased risk of injury promised in advertisements.

The lawsuit was filed against Adidas America Inc, a U.S. subsidiary of German-based Adidas, which makes the adiPure shoes.

Contrary to Adidas' claims, the shoes actually increase the risk for bruising and foot damage, due to their decreased padding and other structural differences from more traditional running shoes, Rocco said in the lawsuit. Rocco said he and other customers were never warned about the potential hazards and that, as a result, he suffered compound fractures after training in the shoes.

The lawsuit seeks to certify a class of everyone who purchased adiPure shoes since their debut in August 2011. Rocco is seeking a refund for the shoes, as well as statutory damages.

Adidas did not immediately return a request for comment.

Adidas launched the adiPure shoes to capitalize on the burgeoning fitness trend of "barefoot running" - running in shoes with articulated toes and minimal padding.

It is apparently the first such lawsuit against Adidas over advertisements for adiPure. In March, a class action lawsuit was filed against Vibram - the maker of barefoot-style running shoe FiveFingers - over similar claims of promoting the shoes' unproven health benefits.

The case is Rocco et al. v. Adidas America Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, no. 12-3015.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye; editing by Andre Grenon)

not surprising

i won 400m race wearing double happiness shoes made in china

compare to other runners wearing nike, addidas, asics, new balance

like a forummer mention

its the technique not the shoes

shoes are to protect your sole

those with cushion that absorbing the impact in fact make you slower

for the 3-4km runners, the SAF NB more than suffices. tats wat im using! ^_^

This is what i try to do/buy. Any idea how to test-run at the shoe shops? I find that by merely walking around the shop to test the shoes may not give me a good idea if they are suitable or not. [:(]

We have run-in period for car. Same as running shoe. You do need a few KM before the shoe "run-in" and align to your foot curve.

Try walking in circle in the shoe shops for 1km. Maybe u can achieve the effect. [laugh]

I have completed 9 full and 1 ultra till date. All these years i do have my fair share of injuries lasting from couple of days or months. All my running shoes are from Chevron house's emart. [laugh] I just make it a point to change new pair every 1 to 1 1/2 years.

-Deleted- Double posting

Edited by Kopites

not surprising

i won 400m race wearing double happiness shoes made in china

compare to other runners wearing nike, addidas, asics, new balance

like a forummer mention

its the technique not the shoes

shoes are to protect your sole

those with cushion that absorbing the impact in fact make you slower

Yes...is all about running style. How we land our foot. How we utilise the shift of body weight from shoulder to hip to the ball of our foot. Once we regulate our breathing our body should be able to go on for 10, 20, 30km. OK maybe for some at 30 km mark..our knee cap will feel the strain from continous pounding. That is the point where mind over body come into play. [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement