Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money?

57 yr old Tarahumara runner ran the 100 km race with a pair of sandals made from old rubber tyres and came in first - so much for expensive high end running shoes :-)

Date: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 9:35 PM

The painful truth about trainers:

Are running shoes a waste of money?

Thrust enhancers, roll bars, mic rochips ... the $20 billion running - shoe industry wants us to believe that the latest technologies will cushion every stride.

Yet in this extract from his controversial new book, Christopher McDougall claims that injury rates for runners are actually on the rise, that everything we've been told about running shoes is wrong - and that it might even be better to go barefoot.

By CHRISTOPHER McDOUGALL

Last updated at 8:01 PM on 19th April 2009

Every year, anywhere from 65 to 80 per cent of all runners suffer an injury.

No matter who you are, no matter how much you run, your odds of getting hurt are the same

At Stanford University , California , two sales representatives from Nike were watching the athletics team practise.

Part of their job was to gather feedback from the company's sponsored runners about which shoes they preferred.

Unfortunately, it was proving difficult that day as the runners all seemed to prefer... nothing.

↡ Advertisement

If this is true, maybe SAF should conduct bare-foot running sessions. But i remember duing my NS we ran with normal un-padded PT shoes only. Nowadays all NS men use running shoes with cushions.

(edited)

It is really up to you, that is why i always find the most comfortable and 'easy to run' sport shoe, don mind the brand, or see got what features etc, just wear it and if it comfortable, then just buy it

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

If this is true, maybe SAF should conduct bare-foot running sessions. But i remember duing my NS we ran with normal un-padded PT shoes only. Nowadays all NS men use running shoes with cushions.

i would like to try bare foot running. But very scared if step on sharp pebbles or stones :wacko:

Supercharged

i would like to try bare foot running. But very scared if step on sharp pebbles or stones :wacko:

then run indoors [:p]

It is really up to you, that is why i always find the most comfortable and 'easy to run' sport shoe, don mind the brand, or see got what features etc, just wear it and if it comfortable, then just buy it

This is what i try to do/buy. Any idea how to test-run at the shoe shops? I find that by merely walking around the shop to test the shoes may not give me a good idea if they are suitable or not. [:(]

Supersonic

Running shoes no need super expensive then consider good la. But also cannot get those cheapo running shoes, cause when you run your feet have no protection and might hurt your feet in the long run?! So i guess SAF running should be good deals. :D

Hypersonic

The ironic thing is those companies trying to capitalise on this barefoot or minumus running are charging alot for their shoes. just look at the Vibam five fingers ,NB mimimus series, all beyond what I'm willing to pay. Lesser material used, but more ex-

Supersonic

The ironic thing is those companies trying to capitalise on this barefoot or minumus running are charging alot for their shoes. just look at the Vibam five fingers ,NB mimimus series, all beyond what I'm willing to pay. Lesser material used, but more ex-

Maybe they want to tell you that more materials used doesnt mean the shoes is good. Less materials used doesnt mean the shoes is no good?! [rolleyes]

Twincharged

Maybe they want to tell you that more materials used doesnt mean the shoes is good. Less materials used doesnt mean the shoes is no good?! [rolleyes]

It also depends on individual preference. Comfort can already. [laugh] [laugh]

Zola Budd runs barefooted. Can swim, no need expensive shoe. Just have good cushion and use for a year or so if you r a frequent runner.

i just need something that can help absorb some impact....that's it...the SAF shoe is doing me good...in fact i saw the taiwan carrefour sell the same saf asics shoe also...around the same price after i convert..it is around close to SGD50...but saf good...can use credit... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

I'm not surprised about running barefoot.

When I was a kid (not that long ago), i used to play soccer and basketball on hard concrete floors barefoot. Sprinted up and down and all over the place. Never had any sort of injuries except for mild blisters every now and then.

Even now, when I run in shoes with thick cushioning, my shin always hurt. Gotta run in something with minimal cushioning.

I can personally vouch for running faster and further..

Neutral Newbie

This is the reason why I prefer to do my shuttle run barefoot, nothing is more grippy than your skin! [;)]

↡ Advertisement