Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

Barefoot also kena!

Best to just sell a foot wear without promise of anything.

http://news.yahoo.com/adidas-sued-over-bar...7--finance.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York man has sued a unit of Adidas AG, claiming he was duped about the potential fitness benefits of a line of shoes designed to mimic the effect of running barefoot.

In a class action lawsuit filed in federal court in Brooklyn on Friday, plaintiff Joseph Rocco said the $90 pair of adiPure shoes he purchased did not deliver the increased training efficiency and decreased risk of injury promised in advertisements.

The lawsuit was filed against Adidas America Inc, a U.S. subsidiary of German-based Adidas, which makes the adiPure shoes.

Contrary to Adidas' claims, the shoes actually increase the risk for bruising and foot damage, due to their decreased padding and other structural differences from more traditional running shoes, Rocco said in the lawsuit. Rocco said he and other customers were never warned about the potential hazards and that, as a result, he suffered compound fractures after training in the shoes.

The lawsuit seeks to certify a class of everyone who purchased adiPure shoes since their debut in August 2011. Rocco is seeking a refund for the shoes, as well as statutory damages.

Adidas did not immediately return a request for comment.

Adidas launched the adiPure shoes to capitalize on the burgeoning fitness trend of "barefoot running" - running in shoes with articulated toes and minimal padding.

It is apparently the first such lawsuit against Adidas over advertisements for adiPure. In March, a class action lawsuit was filed against Vibram - the maker of barefoot-style running shoe FiveFingers - over similar claims of promoting the shoes' unproven health benefits.

The case is Rocco et al. v. Adidas America Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, no. 12-3015.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye; editing by Andre Grenon)

↡ Advertisement

not surprising

i won 400m race wearing double happiness shoes made in china

compare to other runners wearing nike, addidas, asics, new balance

like a forummer mention

its the technique not the shoes

shoes are to protect your sole

those with cushion that absorbing the impact in fact make you slower

This is what i try to do/buy. Any idea how to test-run at the shoe shops? I find that by merely walking around the shop to test the shoes may not give me a good idea if they are suitable or not. [:(]

We have run-in period for car. Same as running shoe. You do need a few KM before the shoe "run-in" and align to your foot curve.

Try walking in circle in the shoe shops for 1km. Maybe u can achieve the effect. [laugh]

I have completed 9 full and 1 ultra till date. All these years i do have my fair share of injuries lasting from couple of days or months. All my running shoes are from Chevron house's emart. [laugh] I just make it a point to change new pair every 1 to 1 1/2 years.

not surprising

i won 400m race wearing double happiness shoes made in china

compare to other runners wearing nike, addidas, asics, new balance

like a forummer mention

its the technique not the shoes

shoes are to protect your sole

those with cushion that absorbing the impact in fact make you slower

Yes...is all about running style. How we land our foot. How we utilise the shift of body weight from shoulder to hip to the ball of our foot. Once we regulate our breathing our body should be able to go on for 10, 20, 30km. OK maybe for some at 30 km mark..our knee cap will feel the strain from continous pounding. That is the point where mind over body come into play. [drivingcar]

Supersonic

i just need something that can help absorb some impact....that's it...the SAF shoe is doing me good...in fact i saw the taiwan carrefour sell the same saf asics shoe also...around the same price after i convert..it is around close to SGD50...but saf good...can use credit... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Even if you use cash to buy SAF shoes also not expensive, only around $43.

Hypersonic

For those interested in running techniques, go and google the 3 major techqiues that some serious runner adopt. Then shoes cushioning doesn't matter anymore.

Google these keywords,

Chi running

Evolution running

POSE running.

one thing they all have in common is "NO HEEL Strikes"

For me, I like to add is land on bended knees, do not lock your knees. Bended knees allows you to utilize your calf and quad mucsles to support the load.

If you are flat footed, then technique doesn't matter as much as having a good shoe to tackle over pronation.

Yes...is all about running style. How we land our foot. How we utilise the shift of body weight from shoulder to hip to the ball of our foot. Once we regulate our breathing our body should be able to go on for 10, 20, 30km. OK maybe for some at 30 km mark..our knee cap will feel the strain from continous pounding. That is the point where mind over body come into play. [drivingcar]

come to think about it..

didnt hv much problem with my running when i was using DS Trainer.. but kena plantar fascitis after changing to GT and Nimbus series..

I started long run with Kayano. Nowadays, i run marathon with Kinvara with no issue at all.

It is not juz about running technique. It is also important to built core muscle. I cut 6 mins for my half marathon PB w/o doing any long run (more than 10km).

Turbocharged

The answer is always... it depends. If you were some native who is used to going around barefoot since birth, then barefoot running is of course suitable. Those who've seen tribal people who go around shoe-less... the soles of their feet are tough like leather, calloused to the point of not much feeling.

But for us city-types who've been wearing booties (when still a baby), then toddle around in shoes, and some even wear slippers in the house... best to keep on wearing properly cushioned shoes for running.

As for whether the shoes are expensive or not, I tend to look at it from point of view of "utilisation-for-money". If you're a very avid, regular runner, going for long runs every weekend, plus shorter runs early in the morning before work on weekdays... then expensive shoes could be well worth it since you use them very often.

Just don't be like some people buy very expensive gear, but most of the time collecting dust at home [laugh]

When I switched to running in minimalist shoes, my knee problems went away.

It took a while to adapt though. My calves and foot muscles (that I never knew I had) were very sore, and even my trunk/core muscles were feeling it. I think it's due to the fact that not being able to land on your heels forces you to call upon a host of alternate muscles to run.

But after a couple of months, I was good. No more knee problems and my standing broad jump and the height of my jumps improved tremendously.

If this is true, maybe SAF should conduct bare-foot running sessions. But i remember duing my NS we ran with normal un-padded PT shoes only. Nowadays all NS men use running shoes with cushions.

Aiyaa uncer, u old skool :D - those wz smaller feet was issued with the kung fu PT shoes... [:(]

The green vest - once washed ;- north south east west out of shape

Supersonic

To each his own la. Im using SAF's sport shoes. [laugh] i can be cheapo at times. :ph34r:

SAF shoes where got cheapo. Afterall SAF shoes still got brand le.