Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

Please get proper running shoes, I myself got my arch in my foot damaged from wearing bad shoes throughout my life because i was a cheapo. the soles and cushion is really a need for shoes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

1 month trial for Trainasone is not enough to tell if will suit me. It's too early as these few weeks, it schedule too little runs week. I will carry on using the crippled free version.

For week run days, how many days did you set?

I set it to 4 days/week with maximum 3 consecutive days.

On Saturday morning, i supposed to do an interval run.  Instead, i went hard in cycling.

On Sunday, it was changed to 11mins ez run.

Please get proper running shoes, I myself got my arch in my foot damaged from wearing bad shoes throughout my life because i was a cheapo. the soles and cushion is really a need for shoes.

It might be due to your running gait.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Good shoe shops such as stand alone nike or new balance shops usually have run test equipment to determine your pronation/suppination patterns.

With personal gait analysis, the proper fitting shoes can be chosen to avoid running stress and injuries.

Again such shoe shops sells at RRP hence usually no discounts.

:D

• Praise 5

Hypersonic

There a school of thought of runners who don't run in cushioning shoes and very little cushion like racing flats. They are minimalist runners. I myself am one of them, but not as hardcore.

Injuries are usually over trained, too fast, too far before your muscle and tendons got stronger.  Shoe rotations will help, as every shoes support is different, even if they are the same category. Different support mean different muscle get activated for balancing. One shoes activate these set of muscle, rotating another shoes will activate another set of muscle, while giving other previous set of muscle a rest . 

• Praise 5

Hypersonic

Rest day yest. Today Improved my 2.2km circuit time by one min. But helped by a bit of cooler weather this am.

Yeah, agree very much on your comments. 

I also have the suspicion that the glue will deteriorate over time and soles coming off.

That's why i will at most get the 1 generation (usually they churn out shoe models 1+ yearly) behind the current one. Eg. I bought Kayano 23 when Kayano 24 was released.

They are usually discounted, but shoe sizes will be limited.

Anything older, the glue is even less likely to hold.

[thumbsup]

I had glue coming off for 2 pairs of Nike Air Pegasus. Both within a year and were rotated for jogs.

So I switched to Asics. No glue coming off issues. 

• Praise 3

SAF shoes where got cheapo. Afterall SAF shoes still got brand le.

We are very lucky to have SAF to select new balance (NB) for us already. Something that I appreciate it very much.

I also have the suspicion that the glue will deteriorate over time and soles coming off.

That's why i will at most get the 1 generation (usually they churn out shoe models 1+ yearly) behind the current one. Eg. I bought Kayano 23 when Kayano 24 was released.

[thumbsup]

Shoes are just like car tyre. They do have certain lifespan and have to be used be a certain period after manufacturing.

And yes, it is ok to buy one generation older if you are trying to do some cost saving. Otherwise, the brand new model would cost too much.

[thumbsup]

Shoes are just like car tyre. They do have certain lifespan and have to be used be a certain period after manufacturing.

And yes, it is ok to buy one generation older if you are trying to do some cost saving. Otherwise, the brand new model would cost too much.

• Praise 2

I had glue coming off for 2 pairs of Nike Air Pegasus. Both within a year and were rotated for jogs.

So I switched to Asics. No glue coming off issues.

Have been using Asics for the last 10 years , quite good , previously was NB and prior to that was Nike , Asics front is more relaxed fit up to mid sole , previously using Gel Kayano now using Nimbus but never know which brand I will use next ...... ha ha ha

We are very lucky to have SAF to select new balance (NB) for us already. Something that I appreciate it very much.

Yes I use 1 model older always ..... see the reviews and then buy too , can be almost $100/- but I check always the mfg date under the tongue of the shoe can see month/year - usually I make sure it’s not more than 18 months to be safe
  • Praise 3

Have been using Asics for the last 10 years , quite good , previously was NB and prior to that was Nike , Asics front is more relaxed fit up to mid sole , previously using Gel Kayano now using Nimbus but never know which brand I will use next ...... ha ha ha

I used to swear by ASIC Kayano until it gives knee pain.

From thereon, I have running with Saucony Kinvara, Adizero Boston & ASICS DS Trainer.

Will try Nike Pegasus soon.

I used to swear by ASIC Kayano until it gives knee pain.

From thereon, I have running with Saucony Kinvara, Adizero Boston & ASICS DS Trainer.

Will try Nike Pegasus soon.

Wah ! You wear shoes until like so many brands one like PHV shoes
  • Praise 2

On 5/23/2019 at 1:12 AM, bluesky3000 said:

Maybe more than that, just get your pronation checked, actually can DIY  google it ... won't regret this and then maybe go to some of the higher end running flagship shoe companies where  they have lotsa ways to test it/ thread mill test too and they will suggest you the type of correct shoe so next time in your entire life you know the type to get      

• Praise 6

3 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Maybe more than that, just get your pronation checked, actually can DIY  google it ... won't regret this and then maybe go to some of the higher end running flagship shoe companies where  they have lotsa ways to test it/ thread mill test too and they will suggest you the type of correct shoe so next time in your entire life you know the type to get      

Running lab has a treadmill to observe running gait.

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

30-40 yrs ago ... expensive running shoes worked .... 

now expensive running shoes only for show  :grin:

U all know why I say this ? 

Bec when I was in NS , I bought a new Nike and I got Gold for 2.4KM run ! It works .

After I ORD , I bought a even more expensive Nike for IPPT ...... I failed 2.4KM run . 

It doesnt work anymore ! 

See ! :lll._.:

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

16 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Bec when I was in NS , I bought a new Nike and I got Gold for 2.4KM run ! It works .

After I ORD , I bought a even more expensive Nike for IPPT ...... I failed 2.4KM run . 

It doesnt work anymore ! 

You bought the wrong Nike shoe la

You should get Nike Viperfly Next%

• Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Angcheek said:

It doesnt work anymore ! 

Heard you do everything well  - bare, so for you bare foot running oso good lah !:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2