Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

Supercharged

The answer is always... it depends. If you were some native who is used to going around barefoot since birth, then barefoot running is of course suitable. Those who've seen tribal people who go around shoe-less... the soles of their feet are tough like leather, calloused to the point of not much feeling.

But for us city-types who've been wearing booties (when still a baby), then toddle around in shoes, and some even wear slippers in the house... best to keep on wearing properly cushioned shoes for running.

As for whether the shoes are expensive or not, I tend to look at it from point of view of "utilisation-for-money". If you're a very avid, regular runner, going for long runs every weekend, plus shorter runs early in the morning before work on weekdays... then expensive shoes could be well worth it since you use them very often.

Just don't be like some people buy very expensive gear, but most of the time collecting dust at home [laugh]

Most people are like that. Buy good things to only look good with it. But no substance at all.

↡ Advertisement

Aiyaa uncer, u old skool :D - those wz smaller feet was issued with the kung fu PT shoes... [:(]

The green vest - once washed ;- north south east west out of shape

Buying a pair of descent shoes will help protect one's knee, ankle, foot etc. Any amount of money spent beyond that will be a lifestyle decision. Even so, i would assume an expensive shoes to cost about $300? Compare with us MCFers here, we write off easily $1k per month on a car , which translates into 3 pairs of expensive shoe per month every month for 10 years. Similarly, a person who wear a $15k rolex, is his time more accurate than one who oswearing a casio ? Botttom line , what we use in life is more of a lifestyle decision, lesser to do with functionality.

I used to run alot when much younger, such that nowadays I am bearing the consequences of doing that too much. All along I believe only in Asics and New Balance running shoes like most of my peers, until this year when I chanced upon this Puma Ignite which provided really good cushioning, cooling, and does not shout out loud like a pair of running shoes, more like a pair of sneakers. Got it for about S$110 in Malaysia, was selling like S$170 over here. But regretted big time as Ignite Ultimate was launched within a day and big discount offered at S$130, retailing at S$199 over here.

I am definitely not linked to Puma and used to not think much of this brand. But this model changes everything. No harm trying it out to see if it suits you. I am sure you will be impressed, whether you get it eventually or not.

http://www.shape.com.sg/fitness/review-puma-ignite-ultimate-running-shoes

http://www.shape.com.sg/blog/sgshape/review-puma-pwrcool-ignite

Btw, the ignite series has a few variants like Pwrcool, XT, etc. And for the record I am not claiming this to be the best running shoes money can buy, just putting it as an option. It has an arch nemesis in Adidas Ultra Boost . Cheers.

USA in bolt wears the puma ignite leh. You run as fast as him after wearing??

I never even mention about him leh. It is about comfort, not fast. I use it for daily walking, really comfy. Used to feel knee pain after a run, now no longer have the pain. Reall shock absorbing. The reviews have been pretty positive, even featured in Strait's Times before earlier.

• Praise 1

My latest running shoes was a pair of out of season Sketcher that is only $59 at their outlet in IMM. Felt light weighted, very little cushioning. Used it on the recent Bedok Reservoir run for 10km last month.  One of my best buy.

Brooks PureConnect

I used to run heel strike during army times and had pain on my shin.

I wasn't a good runner.

Until many years ago my colleague recommended me to run toe strike and to get this pair of shoes.

Took a little used to the toe strike pose but eventually I didn't had pain on my legs anymore, despite me getting so much older now.

Toe strike is recommended.. it has minimal shock and impact to the body and legs especially.

I do recommend all to practise and try it.

There are some difference to toe strike versus heel.

Toe strikes - requires higher cadence, meaning you stride much much quicker like a fast motion video. 

Your body leans slightly forward as if you would fall down forward if you had been stationary.

You do not extend your legs forwards as much as heel strike, but you roll up your legs higher towards your butt as your leg went under your body.

720faf90-eaaa-46fd-aa34-60a258d26581__L.

• Praise 3

Brooks PureConnect

I used to run heel strike during army times and had pain on my shin.

I wasn't a good runner.

Until many years ago my colleague recommended me to run toe strike and to get this pair of shoes.

Took a little used to the toe strike pose but eventually I didn't had pain on my legs anymore, despite me getting so much older now.

Toe strike is recommended.. it has minimal shock and impact to the body and legs especially.

I do recommend all to practise and try it.

There are some difference to toe strike versus heel.

Toe strikes - requires higher cadence, meaning you stride much much quicker like a fast motion video. 

Your body leans slightly forward as if you would fall down forward if you had been stationary.

You do not extend your legs forwards as much as heel strike, but you roll up your legs higher towards your butt as your leg went under your body.

720faf90-eaaa-46fd-aa34-60a258d26581__L.

It is call forefoot strike hor.  Try running with your toe.

I feel that have to get gradually used to no heel striking.

Once u run with no heel striking, there's a lot of stress on your knee ligaments. Have to slowly train up to get used to it.

My advice is that minimal cushioning shoes, should start by wearing them to walk around before running with them.

They say sleep on floor is goods for you but how many of us practice that lol

During ICT when i sleep on bare floor, sibei jialat after that.

They say sleep on floor is goods for you but how many of us practice that lol

I always do that.  [thumbsup]

when I am in Japan and stay in the traditional inn

:D 

• Praise 1

Once u run with no heel striking, there's a lot of stress on your knee ligaments. Have to slowly train up to get used to it.

My advice is that minimal cushioning shoes, should start by wearing them to walk around before running with them.

Last time floor is wood or earth, now is concrete. Sleep too long on cold concrete, hong sips jialat jialat lol

• Praise 3

I used to run with Asic Kayano which is thick heal strike shoe.  After a while, knee starts to develop problem.

I switch to Newton running shoe.  It helps to transit towards forefoot strike.  After 1 pair, i have to give up as it is too taxing on glu.

After Newton, i switch to Saucony Kinvara, which is a minimalist shoe

Profits for shoes is obscenely high. Believe or not.

If not, walk barefoot huh??

When I moved to my new place, I slept on the floor for almost a month cuz bed didn't move in with me.

Body felt damn painful (not just an ache) every morning but it would get better throughout the day. I didn't feel any improvements after the 1 month.

↡ Advertisement