Man fined $4,000 for assault in pub

Subutai

Man fined $4000 for assasult in pub

SINGAPORE: A 27-year-old Singaporean man has been fined $4,000 for assaulting another man who had made derogatory remarks about him in a pub.

Alexander Lincoln Chew Yew Wah punched Mills Richard Jonathan several times in the face.

The incident happened in November 2010 in a pub at Nanson Road off Mohamed Sultan Road.

The court heard that 29-year-old Mills had challenged Chew to hit him. The two men scuffled outside the pub's washroom.

A security officer later reported the incident to the police.

Mills was warded in hospital for two days. As a result of the assault, he sustained a scar on his eyebrow.

In his mitigation, Chew's lawyer argued that his client had no intention to cause trouble, but the Briton's "derogatory comments coupled with his persistent taunts" angered him.

The lawyer, who called for a fine of $1,000, added that the victim was not entirely blameless in the incident.

In sentencing, District Judge Ronald Gwee noted that the overtones in Mills' comments were quite clear and there was "a certain degree of provocation".

However, he also agreed with the prosecution that Chew had "over-reacted".

The judge added that a fine was appropriate in this case, but it should be sufficient to act as a deterrent.

For voluntarily causing hurt, Chew could have been jailed up to two years and fined $5,000.

- CNA/de

Moral of the story : Singaporeans at losing end....

↡ Advertisement

If you were the one kena whacked and the attacker gets just $4k fine, would you be happy?

Then you have to ask yourself, if you were the a-----e that provoke the other guy.

if kena out of the blue, you have 2 options.

1) smash back

2) cry like a little girl.

if it is racist remarks... then i disagree with the over reacted part...

and somemore is the ang moh challenge the guy to beat him mah....

at least singapore 1 britain 0 [:p]

Then you have to ask yourself, if you were the a-----e that provoke the other guy.

if kena out of the blue, you have 2 options.

1) smash back

donkey keys ago...i was catched with the same thing but in a car argument.

the kuku wanted to hammer mi but i blocked afew times b4 i hammered him back jia luck jia luck until he fell to the ground. i called police and both up lorry.

during interview io asked mi to be smart next time let him hammer and he will get it.

i asked backed io,you put down your gun and i hammer you can? :blink:

sometimes if you catch in this kind of case,like what bro said

1) smash back

**luckly both got warning nvm to do it again**

thks god i learned my lesson no joy in lock-up.

donkey keys ago...i was catched with the same thing but in a car argument.

the kuku wanted to hammer mi but i blocked afew times b4 i hammered him back jia luck jia luck until he fell to the ground. i called police and both up lorry.

during interview io asked mi to be smart next time let him hammer and he will get it.

i asked backed io,you put down your gun and i hammer you can? :blink:

sometimes if you catch in this kind of case,like what bro said

1) smash back

**luckly both got warning nvm to do it again**

thks god i learned my lesson no joy in lock-up.

Even if let other party hammer, no guarantee judge wl give the fella heavy sentence.

IO talk is easy.

So how jia luck yr opponent kena fm u?

Quarrel happened after provocation and provocating party challenged the other to hit him... and he got hit. "Victim' kenna left, right and upside down then cry foul...

I am curious... ang moh hit local = ok?? Local hit ang moh = not ok??

Losing faith because of police' incompetence

He just followed instructions only, a typical local guy, like follow the laws. Indeed, he is a very good local guy. Lucky the ang moh nvr asked the guy to [knife] him.

Even if let other party hammer, no guarantee judge wl give the fella heavy sentence.

IO talk is easy.

So how jia luck yr opponent kena fm u?

Better not let anyone hammer you, cos there is no guarantee u still got chance to talk to anyone again.