Where to skim rotor?

Eko6

If dont change rotor, what will happened? [:/]

last time when my rotor uneven i hack care but more i drive more jia lat it become,the vibration got worst till whole hand share like kenna stroke,u sure bo tahan one..

go stockist buy the parts than go WS ask them to change for u,this way is more cheaper.

if u got no WS i can recommend mine WS to u,he charge labour $60 for changing of rotor+front & rear brake pad.

↡ Advertisement

Done mine in JB for about RM$50 at my usual workshop.

The boss actually mentioned can either change or skim rotor but as need to indent the stock and my ride only left slightly over 3 years I decided the latter. Change the brake pads as well and bleed brake fluid at the same time.

The boss calls a guy and he came over with a toolbox and using some sort of calliper to skim off the rotor using the momentum of the running engine and gear pushing to "D"...never seen it before so kinda new to me. Machiam scraping off a layer of skin. [laugh] After that still do some light sandpaper off the rough edges and rotor smooth as baby buttock. [laugh]

Supersonic

last time when my rotor uneven i hack care but more i drive more jia lat it become,the vibration got worst till whole hand share like kenna stroke,u sure bo tahan one..

go stockist buy the parts than go WS ask them to change for u,this way is more cheaper.

if u got no WS i can recommend mine WS to u,he charge labour $60 for changing of rotor+front & rear brake pad.

You mean vibration can be felt at the steering? Or when you brake? [:/]

my mechanic will call a man...and this guy will come to pick up the rotors and then return within 2 or 3 hours with skimmed rotors. my mech is at the esso petrol station at thomson plaza area.

Thanks. You are paying a very good price for skimming 2 rotors. I was charged twice the amount during my last skimming at a workshop in Bukit Batok.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks. You are paying a very good price for skimming 2 rotors. I was charged twice the amount during my last skimming at a workshop in Bukit Batok.

my mech is honest...and that's why i've been using his services since 1999.

Neutral Newbie

light foot brake = vibration

Heavy brake =stroke

my rotors were in such a bad condition that when i step on the brakes, the steering wheel will turn by itself, and the car will also turn left. i drove slowly to the workshop and 2+ hours later, the skimmed rotors were installed...and for the next few months whenever i stepped on the brakes, the car will do an e-brake!

my rotors were in such a bad condition that when i step on the brakes, the steering wheel will turn by itself, and the car will also turn left. i drove slowly to the workshop and 2+ hours later, the skimmed rotors were installed...and for the next few months whenever i stepped on the brakes, the car will do an e-brake!

My new rotor already more than 3 mths n had serve me well.

Money worth spend :D

hi bro tohdj,

can recommend the name of the mech to look for at the esso station?

probably need to do some work on my rotors too.

Thanks in advance.

Neutral Newbie

hi bro tohdj,

can recommend the name of the mech to look for at the esso station?

probably need to do some work on my rotors too.

Thanks in advance.

check your PM

Hypersonic

Most workshop will call someone to skim the rotors. The only 2 workshops that I saw have the skimming machine is Riverview Auto @ AMK Autopoint and Kian Teong @ Sin Ming Autocare. Not sure of the cost or worksmanship though.

my mech is honest...and that's why i've been using his services since 1999.

Can you share with me his contact?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:55 PM, Lucifire said:

Hi there, can share contact of skimming please 

Actually, any machinery shop can do one.  Any shop with a milling machine. My previous employer has a milling machine, they do for me for FREE.  Before this.

I go to a milling shop at toa payoh ,. There is is golfing range.....beside got a lot of jtc factory.  I just go there lor.  $10 per pc.  5 10mins job.  U need to ownself disassemble rotor disc.  On the spot.  Or u do at your car park.  Bring rotor to shop by bus or MRT.  For me, I don't take taxi or Uber one.

U want full service ? I suggest buy new disc.  $60 per pc std price.  Atas disc is another story lor.

Almost forgot, check your rotor. At best is skim 0.5mm lor.  Kia spec usually from new to spent is only 2mm. And if rotor got blue spot mean overheated liao.  Can throw.  Carry on use also can laaa.....

Edited by Apple-Tree
  • Praise 1

Why bother with skimming? For cars, rotors are dirt cheap, a set of two's (left and right) about $90 and the amount of steel is so heavy that you have problem carry from the shop to your car. LOL.

For bikes I can understand, it's freaking expensive.

• Praise 1