What gives an non approved exhaust away

Calvinus

Generally for performance reasons... Of course I won't even know if there will be a performance improvement...

if you cannot even know whether the performance improvement is true...why bother to change it? [confused] money too much?

↡ Advertisement

Illegal modifications, especially to a vehicle's exhaust system, could affect other components such as the brakes and steering, compromising safety, said the LTA spokesman.

News Source

44489_4816025166430_526318073_n.jpg

Neutral Newbie

It really depends on the car, i had a BMW M3 about 4 months ago, had it changed to a Akrapovic exhaust which was approved by LTA, but after my change i've been stop about 8 times by TP, which is relatively annoying IMO..when my exhaust is approved. Now im looking into Innotech for my new car which isn't approve, so i gotta think twice haha!!

My catalytic converter may be spoiled, according to the mech. Engine warning light keeps coming up every 2 days or so ever since the top overhaul. Been reseting ECU myself as I find the warning light damn irritating after spending 5k+ change a lot of things. Mech says run 3 or 4 tankfuls of Techron fuel, clean out the lubricants they used on the engine during the top overhaul job, the engine warning light may go off. If it doesn't, then have to change cat converter liao. Stockist quote me $1450 for the part alone [knife]

Think I'll just mod and take out the honeycomb. Inspection come then put back. 1.5M, take out converter also should't be too loud i hope.. Tp pass by make sure gear 5 and light foot :o

Edited by Pplater

My catalytic converter may be spoiled, according to the mech. Engine warning light keeps coming up every 2 days or so ever since the top overhaul. Been reseting ECU myself as I find the warning light damn irritating after spending 5k+ change a lot of things. Mech says run 3 or 4 tankfuls of Techron fuel, clean out the lubricants they used on the engine during the top overhaul job, the engine warning light may go off. If it doesn't, then have to change cat converter liao. Stockist quote me $1450 for the part alone [knife]

Think I'll just mod and take out the honeycomb. Inspection come then put back. 1.5M, take out converter also should't be too loud i hope.. Tp pass by make sure gear 5 and light foot :o

You're driving Subaru Impreza hatchback right?

My wife used to drive that. Also encountered problems with the cat after 2.5 years. CEL kept coming up. Did a decat and the CEL did not light up again.

IF you just decat without touching muffler, not much increase in noise. My wife's ex-car also passed inspection. No issues. But must not have visible cut and weld marks when viewed from the bottom up.

But if LTA bikes are around you, better slow down and behave yourself. The smell of a decat exhaust is a dead giveaway.

Edited by Beehive3783

If I have one of those uncommon models of cars where they do not sell approved aftermarket exhausts, if the installed aftermarket exhaust looks similar to the original oem one, what would give me away?

For those that have been caught before, what do LTA look out for? the sound? size? or are they so familiar with various types of exhausts that they can tell straight away?

What car are you driving btw? I believe my car is one of the rare breeds in SG, we have probably 100 of our kind (or less) registered here....

If your car is white (like mine), the exo will make your rear bumper yellowish, that is a giveaway, so rem to clean that portion everytime you wash your car. If yours is a "blacklisted" car like mine, then regardless whether you mod or not, the white ants will give you "preferential" attention anyway...

So its becomes like a game of cat and mice aka road refugees.

Else if your car belongs to the lower profile kind (eg SUVs, etc) perhaps easier to get away....

The sound is definately a big giveaway....

And no, loud doesn't mean fast... my previous setup was freaking loud and that warrented my "arrest". I'm using a softer setup now... (still unfriendly kind) and the power is 10% better than the last setup both on dyno and my Advance ZD (century sprint timing and 0-200 as well).

Lastly, they have every right to hull you back for an inspection.... So it really depends on heng suay. If you're concerned, then dun mod...

funny leh this thread...

sx4 and impreza change exo for what? for louder sound so you can boost your low self-esteem? or to attract more TPs and donate $$$? performance wise change watever also about the same lah...

also seen type r category change exo for what? so you can hit 0-100 in below 5 sec? or to hit top speed of 300km/hr? pls lah your ride is already gd enough for leisure runs at sepang... u think u stuntman is it? or you are professional racer make $$$ from competition?

i reckon just a normal tuning or some sort is enough, why go thru all the trouble...

Cheers

just to add... i dont condemn modification but just do it the legal way...

also put the TPs and LTAs aside... if modification done wrongly or too excessively done (over powered), you and your family is at risk of accident... heard too many cases and incidents on NSHW...

there is always a reason why your car is built the way it is (stock). so dont drive to mod (or mod to drive) or you will never mod or drive ever again (RIP) [:p]

Cheers

Edited by Cmcrazy

funny leh this thread...

sx4 and impreza change exo for what? for louder sound so you can boost your low self-esteem? or to attract more TPs and donate $$$? performance wise change watever also about the same lah...

also seen type r category change exo for what? so you can hit 0-100 in below 5 sec? or to hit top speed of 300km/hr? pls lah your ride is already gd enough for leisure runs at sepang... u think u stuntman is it? or you are professional racer make $$$ from competition?

i reckon just a normal tuning or some sort is enough, why go thru all the trouble...

Cheers

must be having PMS ... people like to eat durian with stout also none of your concern right ? [hur]

those that say stock is best never drove an Altis before. its a death trap at 100km/hr, the constant swaying of the cars make the drivers and passengers dizzy, leading to less concentration from the driver. Also sharp cornering at anything more than 20km/hr, u lose control of the car!!!! Overtaking in a Altis is also a death wish, especially in a 2 lane 2 way road.

those that say stock is best never drove an Altis before. its a death trap at 100km/hr, the constant swaying of the cars make the drivers and passengers dizzy, leading to less concentration from the driver. Also sharp cornering at anything more than 20km/hr, u lose control of the car!!!! Overtaking in a Altis is also a death wish, especially in a 2 lane 2 way road.

wah liew got so bad mah? any car when accelarator is floored should pickup reasonable well... I am quite sure stock car especially for the reputable ones altis, civic, fit, ex, etc should be well balanced. well of cos dont expect the performance and stability of a type r right?

Cheers

Edited by Cmcrazy

must be having PMS ... people like to eat durian with stout also none of your concern right ? [hur]

well maybe u havent heard of stories of changing a sway bar other than stock, can cause u to lose control when doing a simple lane change at 200km/hr for example... well you may think that person deserve it, why speed till 200km/hr. well if you mod and dont max your ride than why mod? better of saving the $$$ in your bank account.

As in the case of a sway bar, not by changing for the more exp or thicker or better quality sway bar can improve ur ride. you have to know the exact measurements and if that suit ur rides for example. so its not all that simple. I have zero knowledge, you have zero knowledge and so do those pro-workhop...

how do you know which specification of sway bar suit ur ride? you think those so call pro-workshop knows?

they only know the installation... how much is invested in building a for example evo 10? how many top mathematician or top engineers are hired by mitsubishi... how many rounds of trial is tested on the track... all the efforts done is to make the ride balanced... that is why a evo 10 can be driven and max out on track where else a altis for example can only be driven on normal road condition not on track... and of cos that is why evo cost much more than a altis...

What i want to bring across is the impt of a balanced ride. if you want power speed, etc buy a type r for example. if you are driving an ordinary altis or swift or whatever than so be it drive within their specification and capability. Do not look down on ur own ride... to own a car in Singapore is damn capable liao... regardless of brands and model...

Drive safe and mod safe...

Cheers

Edited by Cmcrazy

just to add... i dont condemn modification but just do it the legal way...

also put the TPs and LTAs aside... if modification done wrongly or too excessively done (over powered), you and your family is at risk of accident... heard too many cases and incidents on NSHW...

there is always a reason why your car is built the way it is (stock). so dont drive to mod (or mod to drive) or you will never mod or drive ever again (RIP) [:p]

Cheers

Hav you driven a type R before? Dyou know the vast diff between a modded one and a stock one?

Ignorance can kill [rolleyes]

It won't make my car a spaceship that's for sure, but the drivability and feel is very different.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement