Scam at Sim Lim Square: Woman charged $1,230 for iPhone 4

Billcoke

(edited)

http://www.digitalone.com.sg/news/article/19538

19538.jpg

Scam at Sim Lim Square: Woman charged $1,230 for iPhone 4

The salesperson made her signed a letter of agreement that she didn't understand.

DigitalOne | 22-06-12 18 comments

A customer has come forward with complaints that they were overcharged for an iPhone 4.

According to a report in Stomp, a salesperson at one store refused to hand over a newly purchased iPhone 4 unless $610 more was paid, on top of the agreed price of $620 for the phone.

The amount, according to the Stomp contributor who wrote it, was for the warranty, activation service, an iPhone case and a screen protector.

Apple Inc sells the unlocked iPhone 4 on its website for $788.

According to the contributor who called himself Robin, the shop in question is Cyber Maestro at #02-77. A photo of the offending shop was also submitted to Stomp.

Robin told Stomp that a friend from China went to the shop to buy an iPhone. But a salesperson recommended her to get a Sony Ericsson phone at about $600, which he felt was overpriced. Still, the friend took up the offer.

On June 19, the friend brought another friend to the same shop during the late afternoon, ostensibly to buy an iPhone as well.

Robin wrote: "They were then served by another salesperson and managed to come to an agreed price of $620 for an iPhone 4.

"It wasn't not even an iPhone 4s.

"After making payment for the phone itself, they agreed to allow the salesperson to activate the iPhone for them and to change it to a global warranty.

"They then had to sign a Letter of Agreement (LOA) in English which they do not understand, the salesperson clarified that it was for the warranty and requested them to be back half an hour later.

"When they returned, they were told to pay another $610 for the activation service that was not mentioned to them beforehand and they thought that it was supposed to be free of charge.

"I arrived at the shop to question the salesperson. He then showed me the LOA which my friends had indeed signed earlier.

"They refused to hand the iPhone over to my friend unless she paid the extra $610.

"We refused and thus called the police, they could only do some recording and then refer it to Case.

"The police officer did mentioned to me that this shop is quite infamous and this signing of the LOA is a new trick.

"We did not manage to get the iPhone.

"I would like to warn everyone about this shop and we should all avoid going there.

Complaint kiosk from July 1

Still, the management of Sim Lim Square is trying to clean up its image.

The mall will set up a complaint kiosk at the mall's information counter on the first floor.

From July 1, people can use the computers at the counter and make a complaint directly to Case and they will take action within three days.

The complaint kiosk, according to a Straits Times report, is a collaboration between Case and Sim Lim Square management.

The kiosk is the first of its kind that will be reviewed after three months to judge its success, said the report. If successful, similar kiosks will pop up across the island.

Case will encourage malls to install the kiosks and will help train staff to use the system.

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

http://www.digitalone.com.sg/action/CMSMedia?id=17980

Sim Lim shop quoted her $968 for $70 camera lens

A woman was quoted $968 for a camera lens, or a shocking ten times the amount of what the lens was originally worth.

She eventually paid $428 for it, thinking that she got a half-price discount.

It was only later when she checked the Internet for prices when she learned that the lens goes for only $70 to $160.

Will the complaint kiosk work in managing errant retailers in Sim Lim Square. Let us know in the comments below or send them to [email protected]

Edited by Billcoke

(edited)

http://www.digitalone.com.sg/news/article/19538/4

Salesman recommends $110 lens for $499

In March this year, a reader claimed that he was overcharged for an inferior camera lens. What's worse, the item was recommended by the sales person in place of the lens that he originally wanted to purchase.

In his e-mail to citizen-journalism website Stomp, the reader said two weeks ago, he wanted to buy a camera lens from a shop called Square United Cam in Sim Lim Square.

He said that the lens he wanted to buy cost $1,100 in the market but they were only selling it at $850.

However the salesman convinced him that the lens he wanted was inferior.

The salesman then recommended another lens that he was selling at only $499 which the reader claimed he bought.

When the reader went back to do some research on the lens, he found out that it costs only about $110 in the market.

"I was overcharged by more than four times," he claimed.

He said: "I just want to let all camera lovers know that if you are unsure of the product or its price, please check online first before you buy it.

Don't let the seller convince you otherwise because you do not know about the other products and their prices, he warned.

Edited by Billcoke

(edited)

PlayStation sold for $661 instead of $398

http://www.digitalone.com.sg/news/article/19538/3

This is not the first scam to have happened in Sim Lim Square.

Earlier this year, a shopper claimed that he was overcharged for his purchase of a PlayStation Vita.

What was originally quoted as $398 for the handheld console turned out to be a total of $661 after the shop included fees for registration, service charges and extended warranty.

The man, who gave his name as Ong, told citizen journalism website that he was initially told the price of the device was $434 including Goods and Services Tax (GST).

He said: "Then the person asked me whether I'd like them to register the warranty for me. I agreed. The man returned with another invoice of $227 - $99 for extended 12 month warranty, $39.90 registration and a whopping $85.50 for service charge."

Ong also doubted whether the extended warranty was legitimate. He was angered at the total because he was not informed beforehand of the additional charges, and intends to raise the matter with the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE).

Edited by Billcoke

If locals kena conned at SLS, then I said stupiak!

If foreigners kena conned at SLS, then I said buyers beware!

Think about it, there is no fixed price on any goods in Singapore as its a free trade zone. Gov did no impose any price fix on any commodities.

Foreigners come and see our house n cars so expensive....they also call us stupiak n naive.

We can laugh at the news about people kena conned at SLS. Why is it we can compare the same iPhone and say there are cheaper price elsewhere, thus paying higher means kena conned?

But think Bout it, all Car buyers are also kena conned to pay a higher price for a cheap car elsewhere!! In fact those week car price may be cheaper than last week price(due to AD profit n selling price), o we complain to CASE too? AD also make use of COE to hide their profit margin, especially if they sell the same car at the same price with fluctuating COE!!

Same con n inflated price for housing n Mickey mouse units. But we say locating differences makes the difference, when infant its the same four concrete walls! Just like same model washing machine from different shops will have different prices, how come I never heard people complain about the more expensive washing machine from one shop compares to another?

Why only CASe involved when buy things from SLS n Luckies?

Supersonic

Why people still patronize those shops in Sim Lim?

Even locals avoid them [laugh]

Prices for computer components are cheap there but you have to know what you're buying.

There are many legitimate shops there that I've been patronizing for years.

whenever i go sls comfirm + chop will ask around for price 1st . dun b like a ostrich, sweet talk by the salesperson is their rice bowl..

Need to pay member first then can complain to CASE lah....

Anyway when you buy something cheap sure got some hidden cost one. Actually not all shops are that bad. The SONG BROTHERS seem to clean up their act. Now the items there are priced quite reasonably well.

Can buy things from SLS but have to do your homework first la.

this is not enough bro. the salesmen are conniving and they are aware of this. what they do is they will typically render your homework done useless by telling you oh so and so model out of stock or not good la, come come i recommend another one better. Unless you prepare homework for more than one choice aka backup plan, really pricing wise you can be duped.

always call beforehand to check availability. if they declare no stocks onsite, walk away.

if they aggressively push sales for another brand/unit, walk away. High chance, better commissions for them. When T* Li*k first arrived in SLS, this was what happened. Initially the quality was really junk and salesmen kept pushing sales because margins are too good. They dont really care that T* Li*k products then were bad.

Hypersonic

I see. I only go there to buy simple things like memory cards and printer so it's ok. Did research beforehand. :D

Long time neber go there buy things liao, only walk walk.......last time rem always going there to buy *ahem* PC games and *ahem* VCDs........ [lipsrsealed][laugh]

when buying from rogue seller, u must have a strong mind. but do u think they will let u get an advantage of them? doubt so.

↡ Advertisement