Hit-&-Run Driver Hits Rollerblader At Zebra X-ing Then Flees

Vulcann

From STOMP:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg...a_crossing.html

Posted on 23 Jun 2012

Hit-and-run driver hits rollerblader at zebra crossing then flees

aciddent1jpg1340420214993-data.jpg

STOMPer Chan says his brother was knocked down by the driver of this car, momentarily trapping his leg under its bumper. When his brother told the man he would call the police, the driver lied about parking his car elsewhere to not obstruct traffic and simply fled the scene.

The STOMPer wrote:

"My brother was rollerblading in the Jurong West area when he was about to cross a zebra crossing.

"He raised his hand to signal to one oncoming car (about 10 metres away) that he is going to cross the road.

"If you attended primary school, you would know that safety lessons teach us about raising hands before and during crossing the road.

"However this driver did not stop and knocked onto my brother, causing his right leg with the roller blade on to be stuck under his bumper.

"The driver came down and asked my brother if he was okay.

"My brother used force to pull out his leg, damaging his roller blade and the conversation was as below:

"Driver: Are you ok?

"My brother nodded and asked: Do you know this is a zebra crossing for pedestrians?

"Driver: No, not really.

"Bro: I raised my hand to signal I was going to cross.

"Driver: No, I thought you were going to stop.

"Bro: Are you going to be responsible?

"Driver: No.

"Bro: I am going to call the police now.

"Upon hearing this, the driver was stunned and immediately went back into his car. My brother then followed and stopped in front of his car to prevent him from running away.

"Despite my brother standing in front of his car, the driver accelerated, forcing my brother to move backward a few steps.

"My brother then stood firm to see if the driver will continue to move forward. The driver stopped and came down from his car a second time and told my brother that he wanted to park the car in another place in order to not block traffic.

"Instead of doing that, he drove away.

"A witness came down to help my brother who sustained a slight injury. Traffic police came sometime later to take down the report and my brother was asked to go for medical check-up and make a second police report at the police post.

"I put up this post not because we are not being compensatedfor my brother

↡ Advertisement

sorry to hear about the accident....

anyway, the injured boy was suppose to walk across with his blade on his shoulder and not wheel across.

another one sided story...he probably raised his hand to gesture to stop way before the zebra crossing and still zooming in to the zebra crossing, ended up car failed to stop and the boy failed to stop or slow down enough in case the vehicle did not stop.

drivers who came across skateboarders or cyclists near pedestrian crossings will know what I mean. Sometimes you can only spot them last minute as they are at speed compared with walking, and their silhouette playing hide and seek among the shades of the trees.

but I have observed greater awareness by skateboarders and cyclists in recent times.

But to those on-the-road cyclists, more or less the "I own the lane" attitudes are still there and they morph from cyclists to pedestrians as and when the situations favour their unimpeded journeys. On Sundays and public holidays, it will almost be like the slowest lane had officially become the cycling lane in place of the weekday bus lane - slow down for cyclists, give way to cyclists, avoid lane due to cyclists kind of mentality.

Anyway this sounds like a case of two kum lan kias coming together. They deserve each other.

Hope the boy suffers nothing more than scratches but he does not deserve my sympathy.

That said, the "My Grandfather Road" phenomena seems to be on the rise, especially CBD areas. Little India I can understand and tolerate but not in so-called elite and atas areas but people still behave like mental retards, gamblers and team avengers.

Pui.

I sympathize the injured.

The driver should not have driven off under such circumstances. How minor the injury is, be it bruise or cut, an injury is an injury. The driver should render the necessary assistance. He should be punished.

Sorry for you bro..

IMO, if either party have practised safety, the incident could have been avoided.

If I am a pedestrian going to cross the zebra crossing, I would stop before crossing and ensure that oncoming cars slow down/stop and the driver noticed me to ensure that he is aware that I'm going to cross..I have also seen many drivers just zooming past zebra crossing even with pedestrians waiting to cross..very very bad drivers [thumbsdown]

If I am the driver, I will slow down when approaching zebra crossings even when no one is ard cos all of a sudden there might be someone crossing or cycling at the zebra crossing

Not slowing down and stopping at x-cross is becoming more common in CBD. Last week, I was frightened out of my skin on 3 different occasions. All by taxis. I swear I wish I had a gun on those occasions.

Hypersonic

Not slowing down and stopping at x-cross is becoming more common in CBD. Last week, I was frightened out of my skin on 3 different occasions. All by taxis. I swear I wish I had a gun on those occasions.

Just whack the side of the vehicle with whatever you are holding when he drive past without stopping.

Did that once to a 5 series with an umbrella who drove past without stopping too. He stopped some distance down and came out. I farked him up and ask him to call the police see who is at fault. In the end, he also LL drive away.

It's at CBD too.

Supersonic

At zebra crossings, shouldn't we as pedestrians also stop to ensure the oncoming car has slowed down and stopping b4 crossing?? [confused][confused]

Often, u see people juz walk onto zebra crossings not looking out for cars, head down and playing wif their phones maciam their grandfarder's road liddat. <_< They can kpkb all they like and report polis but who's the one that realli suffers in the end?

Yes...the rollerblader might've at fault for zooming onto the road.

It's this type of patestrians that makes driving a very stressful event.

I hope the white car got video can installed to support his side of the story, to lessen the fault.

I am sure hiring a good lawyer will help the white car owner.

Perhaps say he did not run away, instead go to clinic to fetch a doctor back to the scene to treat the rollerblader?

Yes...the rollerblader might've at fault for zooming onto the road.

It's this type of patestrians that makes driving a very stressful event.

I hope the white car got video can installed to support his side of the story, to lessen the fault.

I am sure hiring a good lawyer will help the white car owner.

Perhaps say he did not run away, instead go to clinic to fetch a doctor back to the scene to treat the rollerblader?

Traffic rules dictate that the vehicle shouldn't be moved while a police report is to be made as long as a pedestrian or cyclist is involved. Regardless of any kind intention, the driver shouldn't have driven off.

If you are so easily stressed, i suggest you stop driving.

At zebra crossings, shouldn't we as pedestrians also stop to ensure the oncoming car has slowed down and stopping b4 crossing?? [confused][confused]

Often, u see people juz walk onto zebra crossings not looking out for cars, head down and playing wif their phones maciam their grandfarder's road liddat. <_< They can kpkb all they like and report polis but who's the one that realli suffers in the end?

Most pedestrians are very complacent nowadays, they don't even stop to check before crossing and just proceed to cross the road like it belongs to their grandfather.

When I'm a pedestrian, I always stop, make eye contact with the driver of the oncoming vehicle, make sure he sees me and I will only start crossing when I can see that he's slowing down to a stop.

↡ Advertisement