Indonesia: Batam Trip - Where to go/visit?

Berncsp76

Just return from Batam. Everything look peaceful.

We hire a mini van and driver to bring us around.

Below are the things we do for the two day one night tour in Batam.

1)Try the local traditional Indo food(Alway do when I went oversea)

2)Visit dry seafood market. They sell lot of cheap and fresh crackets.

3)Eating live seafood. The was the highlight of the tour. The restaurant have a good view of Batam famous Barelang Bridge. Foods was yummy and cheap too. We also having some fun for choosing our own seafood.

4)Massage, many comment their silk are better than JB.

5)Watching movie at Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall. Although the ticket was less than S$4. But suprising their cinema are better than some in SG. We also in time for two great show Great Wall and Railroad Tigers haha.

6)Buying seafood at wet market. Much cheaper than SG.

We staying in Nagoya Hill Hotel. I will rate this hotel at 9/10 due to cleaness , friendly staff and nice breakfast. Shopping mall behind the hotel is not my cup of tea. I got nothing to buy although is huge. Famous brand like Nike was not cheap. Last I would like advised when we at immigration pls be silent.

This apply to any custom in the world. Not only Indonesia.

Thx for sharing

↡ Advertisement

wah can do so many things in 2D1N? i was also there last week, i only nua in the resort for 3D2N [laugh]

i did go out to batam mega mall for few hours from late afternoon and for dinner at Sei Enam seafood restaurant, prefer air-conditioned place [sweatdrop]

We have the group of ten and we never doing the same thing together.

Admit that this was not a ralexing tour. But everyone got what they want.

Another thing to add on is we saw many Honda Mobilo on the road. Car there are quite new, traffic also crowded. But I don't see many traffic light.

Many junction are frist come frist go. Look very messy but seldom people horn each other. I think local people already use to it.

6 Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
Authorities arrested 32 foreign nationals during a raid on an entertainment hub in Batam, Riau Islands, early on Sunday, as they had failed to show proper documents. Among those who were detained during the raid on bars in Kampung Bule were six Singaporean military personnel who could not show their passports or any duty letters. - See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/6-singaporean-military-personnel-deported-after-batam-raid#sthash.5stLatit.dpuf

Wow. How did they enter?

Wow. How did they enter?

i think if it is guy, more or less consider military personnel liao.... as for not producing documents..... likely put in hotel safe....

32 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Are taxi’s in Batam metred or the drivers just anyhow quote the fare to us or do they have like Uber/ gojek ??

better to hire a car/mpv with driver for whole day (about 10-12 hour), if split among number of pax about $20/pax. Then you can go from place to place in the island.

• Praise 5

6 hours ago, Jman888 said:

better to hire a car/mpv with driver for whole day (about 10-12 hour), if split among number of pax about $20/pax. Then you can go from place to place in the island.

U have any lobang for car hire for 3 pax?

32 minutes ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

U have any lobang for car hire for 3 pax?

some may say that using taxi or go-jek app will be cheaper, unless you are taking your time travel to one place like from hotel to seafood place, then ok. i suggested car hire provided that you plan for whole day out and have 3-4 places to cover (eat, play & shop), then you save time on calling and waiting for transport.

there are many company provide such services in Klook or Viator, if not can google batam transport and the map of all the service providers will appear, just go by the number of reviews and comments and it won't go wrong (many were by singaporean).

https://www.klook.com/activity/43521-batam-city-private-car-charter/

https://www.viator.com/Batam-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d50587-g15?dynamicFilters=TAG-20248

We hired one old chinese uncle back in 2017 (2 trips) and his son is living in singapore, but that one i am not sure he still driving or not.

• Praise 3

44 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

some may say that using taxi or go-jek app will be cheaper, unless you are taking your time travel to one place like from hotel to seafood place, then ok. i suggested car hire provided that you plan for whole day out and have 3-4 places to cover (eat, play & shop), then you save time on calling and waiting for transport.

there are many company provide such services in Klook or Viator, if not can google batam transport and the map of all the service providers will appear, just go by the number of reviews and comments and it won't go wrong (many were by singaporean).

https://www.klook.com/activity/43521-batam-city-private-car-charter/

https://www.viator.com/Batam-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d50587-g15?dynamicFilters=TAG-20248

We hired one old chinese uncle back in 2017 (2 trips) and his son is living in singapore, but that one i am not sure he still driving or not.

Are Taxi or prvt hire safe in Batam? 

9 minutes ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

taking from shopping malls taxi stand, or some popular places or eateries are ok, the only worry is if some place is out of reach like the go-kart or seafood restaurants, then will be quite difficult to call.

Although some popular restaurants do have call cab service, might still have to wait cos either too late or high demand.

• Praise 1

Just now, Jman888 said:

taking from shopping malls taxi stand, or some popular places or eateries are ok, the only worry is if some place is out of reach like the go-kart or seafood restaurants, then will be quite difficult to call.

Although some popular restaurants do have call cab service, might still have to wait cos either too late or high demand.

Oh i see.. Thanks for sharing.

51 minutes ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

the transport system in Batam is quite different from the rest of indo, as it's catered to chop tourist carrots, usually singaporean.

gojek/grab are not permitted in some pick up points (e.g. ferry terminal) but the driver will let you know where to meet for pick up. This usually entails walking out of the forbidden area. 

in indo, Bluebird taxis are the gold standard for being safe and using meter (esp at night) but this brand is still the minority in Batam. The other taxis in Batam are nothing much more than pirate taxis which refuse to use meter and will ask for a fixed sum.

one option is to look at Carousell app, search for "batam transport". There are loads of car hire (usually with driver) listings there. Look for one with good reviews. Do note Indo has just raised the prices of fuel so the car hire prices may have gone up too. 

• Praise 4

On 9/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

I planned to visit Batam this deepavali long weekend. Anyone care to share what can i do there?

i would keep expectations low 😄

if u are into buying cake, as jman888 recommended, try their kueh lapis (also known as lapis legit in Indo). Stick to the premium or butter version. The malls will have many stands to try from and they might even deliver to your hotel on your departure date for the freshest stock. Their other specialties are Lapis Surabaya and Bika Ambon. 

• Praise 2

On 9/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, Shibadog said:

i would keep expectations low 😄

if u are into buying cake, as jman888 recommended, try their kueh lapis (also known as lapis legit in Indo). Stick to the premium or butter version. The malls will have many stands to try from and they might even deliver to your hotel on your departure date for the freshest stock. Their other specialties are Lapis Surabaya and Bika Ambon. 

Sounds like nothing else to do there... I was looking to do Bintan as a result cos I can't seem to find what to do in Batam... family activities with my kids actually... shopping is out for little ones... hehe...

15 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Sounds like nothing else to do there... I was looking to do Bintan as a result cos I can't seem to find what to do in Batam... family activities with my kids actually... shopping is out for little ones... hehe...

Nothing much in Batam for young kids. I was there, just relaxed with beer n kids swimming... my kids are happy as long as they get out of the house. 

Edited by jcmm
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1