City Harvest church founder Kong Hee and 4 others arrested

Mockngbrd

Supercharged

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/moham...359495054082723

[update: You must read all comments following this note in their entirety to get all clarifications] I was asking myself as a Muslim should I even give my views about the current case of alleged financial "dishonesty" in a church in Singapore, as it could come across the wrong way to some Christians. But then, I realize this is Singapore, we are in a multi-religious and multi-racial society, and every issue should be discussed openly, and of course, with much sensitivity when it comes to religion. Every Singaporean is our brother or sister, regardless of race or religion. And we should never build walls within our own groups.

When the case first surfaced the last few days, my first reaction was, of course lah... embezzled money again... I was on the social media bandwagon of making jokes at City Harvest Church, especially their pastor. Then, a Facebook Friend wrote on his wall about him being from City Harvest Church, and it was through this church he found God.

Then, we chatted in detail privately, and he told me how his life took a turn for the better because of the pastor, and the church, and he changed from a Catholic church to City Harvest Church. I could understand Christianity pretty well, as I was in Catholic School for 4 years of my teenage puberty life, so Jesus was uttered by the students in that school everyday, we had hymes, and reciting of the daily bread, and the brothers were our teachers. I even sat in for bible studies with some friends, and "debating" theologically, and still remaining as friends till today, even though, I am a Muslim, and my friends are Christians. It was a good school to learn values. In fact, Christian values are no different from Islamic values, and the irony is I was introduced to good values through Christianity, and I found God through Christianity too, even though my belief is that Jesus is a Prophet. Nonetheless, it didn't stop me from watching Passion of Christ, and understand why Christians love Jesus so much. For a God they believed in, who sacrificed himself to take away the sins of mankind, he deserves all the love, and worshipping. Furthemore, my exposure to pious Christians, only showed to me Jesus and Christian teachings make good human beings. In fact, there was a Qur'an I read when I was back in NUS, while at the makeshift prayer room for Muslims on the roof of the department of biological Sciences building, there was a page which was part of the book, but not of Qur'anic content, the translator of the book wrote that Christianity has the best people, but Islam has the best religion. I do agree, but I hope Christians do not get offended, as it just my theological belief. To me Islam made logical sense, but somehow, Christians are better at representing themselves well as good human beings. Look at the amazing work by many Christian organizations around the world. I know some Muslim brothers and sisters won't be happy that I praise Christians only, so i'll also say, Muslims do good work too.

So as I was saying, when my friend talked to me about how City Harvest Church, helped him found his footing in life again, I changed my mind. Yes sure, Sun Ho's MTVs were horrible, and do not represent the Christianity I used to learn from my school, and the people who practise Christianity. But somehow, the idea of going secular and going to USA made sense to me. The culture in USA is as such. Even Mariah Carey, and a few pop artists when they won awards, they would credit Lord Jesus, but that does not mean they are no better than other Christians. But the thing is, the followers gave their full trust to these people to manage their donations, so why should the government control everything? I mean if I give money to anyone and tell them do anything you want with it, because I trust you, why should the government come in, and charge that person with financial dishonesty? From what I understand, CPF works the same way, as the funding in CHC, it gets distributed from one GLC to another, and to some other companies, etc. And then we still do not know how much money we have in GLCs, or how much money Temasek holdings have. So how can we rely on the government to be a check on such charities on their finances, when the government can't even share with us where our money go to when we ask them. I remembered when the late President Ong asked for the figures, he was told it would take hundred of years of calculations to come up with the figure. So...

Now, about the financial dishonesty. I do agree with the letter written by the CHC member Christopher Pang. Why did MCYS/CoC conclude its investigation as such when the courts have not even found them guilty. And then I remembered the Christians/Catholics (to me all people who believe in Jesus are Christians) who lost many years of their lives under the Operation Spectrum (1987) which the government detained and imprisoned many under the guise of communism/marxism movement. And many years later from that event, I read about how these detainees said they were political detainees, with the government fearing that their movement can perhaps overthrow the government, or become mightier than the government?

[update: there were comments asking me why bring up Operation Spectrum. I brought it up, because the people detained were believed to be Christians/Catholics influenced by Marxism/Communism. Here is something written by Ms Teo Soh Lung, and ex-detainee: 25 Years Since Operation Spectrum ]

Then, it came to me that perhaps, all of us Singaporeans, including Christians and non-Christians, should pause for a while and ask ourselves is this another Operation Spectrum? Do you know the charges thrown at the CHC members who were charged is Conspiracy in Criminal Breach of Trust, which has a maximum sentencing of Life Imprisonment.

I think we should indeed pause for a while, and question, could this be another repeat of Operation Spectrum. CHC is the biggest church in Singapore with many many followers who love the church, and with lots of money. And I also found out the difference is that in its executive committee they do not have any government board, as compared to other megachurches, one which I found out had Capital Land on the board.

I was also reminded of a similar organization, called Mercy Relief which used to be a department of an Islamic organization, Perdaus. It was once such a successful programme ran by the Islamic organization, but the government took over it (and turned it into an independent charitable non-governmental humanitarian organization).

[Note: a reader pointed out a contradiction. According to Mercy Relief website now, Mercy Relief was established as an independent and non-governmental humanitarian charity in 2003. But according to Perdaus Website, Mercy Relief, an international humanitarian organisation, was also once a department of PERDAUS. It was first formed on May 2001 as a humanitarian project by PERDAUS members, as an initiative of the local people servicing global needs. Due to the overwhelming support it received, and rapid growth, PERDAUS decided that it was best for Mercy Relief to be independent, owned and shared by all Singaporeans and those who support the humanitarian cause. Hence in 2003, Mercy Relief was officially launched as an independent charitable non-governmental humanitarian organisation and conferred the Institute of Public Character (IPC) status.] So indeed, it was turned from religious into "independent".

So what I am asking is, we should all take a break, and ask ourselves this question. Do we want to wait another 20 years, just to hear their stories, which we've heard from the detainees of the Operation Spectrum? And then start blaming the government. I think it is up to us, as citizens to question. How come suddenly, we believe everything put across to us in traditional media. Didn't they use the same media to sell the idea that those who were detained in the operation Spectrum and put under ISA, are conspirators?

As a people, we may just save a few lives if indeed they are innocent. Let's not prejudge. We need to consider carefully all evidences. I have advised my friend who is the CHC member, yes indeed they need very good lawyers. And I am glad to hear, they have many good lawyers as their members.

I have never believed everything they put up in media. We shouldn't. We must question. CHC members have my prayers to give them strength, and unity to overcome this. If God decides that indeed they are in the wrong, then they have to face the judgement of the courts, but if they are truly innocent, may God help them.

God is great. Let's pray for a better Singapore, a better World.

↡ Advertisement

Jesus has said something else as well. That we render to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and render to God what belongs to God.

Guess what? The money had the head of our first president and that is collected for God's work. Furthermore, it is collected tax-free since they are a charity. "Ceasar" was denied his cut.

All I can see is muddied values when they say COC had no right to interfere.

do you agree that society values and morality changes with time

just like the old versus the new testament

I did hear from friends, there is a few MPs who are members too. Is that right? I am not there, therefore don't know who is who. Are these lawyers also members?[gossip]

good point

why didnt i think of that and connect the dots

good work

The five were represented by notable lawyers, including Kong's lawyer, Mr Edwin Tong, who is a partner at Allen & Gledhill and an MP for Moulmein- Kallang GRC; and Senior Counsel Lok Vi Ming, a partner at Rodyk and Davidson who is the lawyer for Chew.

It will be very interesting to see if these legal bills will be paid by CHC !

normal place is find good gals at Cold Storage, and MArketplace. The aunty ones, u find at NTUC. Lagi aunty, Sheng Siong and shop n save. These gals forllow grandma and mudder and shows that they make good housewives [laugh][laugh][laugh]

normal place is find good gals at Cold Storage, and MArketplace. The aunty ones, u find at NTUC. Lagi aunty, Sheng Siong and shop n save. These gals forllow grandma and mudder and shows that they make good housewives [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Mr Radx, what about wet market? [laugh]

Supercharged

Those gals follow mudder and grannies, may turn out to be wild rabbits in the dark...... Lol

Mr Radx, what about wet market? [laugh]

er.....u want to find old sugar mummies ah... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

but ah....i see sweet things there too....and they make excellent financial negotiators [:p]

Those gals follow mudder and grannies, may turn out to be wild rabbits in the dark...... Lol

u like si boh??? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Okay lah. Enough Okay!

Time for commercial break....

Everybody, China Wine~ Everybody, China Wine~ Everybody, China Wine~ [grin]

Kwah lao kao teow bu?

I go pee pee.

Turbocharged

You just wanna check what they are buying -

Big cucumbers, Cavendish bananas or those little bananas then make sure you measure up....

You just wanna check what they are buying -

Big cucumbers, Cavendish bananas or those little bananas then make sure you measure up....

if buy garden hose??? [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

Hypersonic

I'm not surprise if they've already started a emergency fund raising.

(edited)

$50m put in Aussie dollars deposit, one month can earn $160k? Ten months $1.6m :D , but still not enough to pay lawyer [:(]

Edited by KARTer

Turbocharged

if buy garden hose??? [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

what would they be doing with a garden hose?

Sorry, my imagination can't quite catch up with you...

On the other hand, if single guys are buying apple pies, I'd advise them not to put the pie in the oven too long (American Pie, the movie reference there)

from the length of time needed to prosecute them, newspaper reports

it seems the 5 have already committed a crime and only waiting for how big a sentence they will be getting

strange that an MP would want to defend a "criminal"

what does it tell you

Normal MPs (i.e. non-Ministers) have day jobs.....be it PAP or Oppo MPs....since the public prosecuter prosecutes hence defence lawyers will always be defending the "bad" guys. He is just doing his job.

↡ Advertisement