Most fun to drive car that's still available new or used

Verve

haha.. I clearly stated that I only compared against bread-&-butter cars. To be frank, I also drove vios in MSCP ramp before but it does not inspire confidence as a mz, so I was more cautious. To me, it's just a normal daily routine but that's because I have done it often and in a safe manner and the car is able to respond confidently and I understand its behaviour.

On the U turn, the road is wide enough for any type of car to make as I recalled it has more than 3 lanes, so even F1 should be able to make, so it's not about turning radius.

In fact, U turn is like an extreme turn, so shouldn't we gauge how the car reacts during and after the turn as a rough gauge of its ability to handle bends?

U should stop the discussion on U-turn. U have no idea what U turn or turning radius is about the more u say the more stupid u look. If you must, at least do some reading before replying if not have the decentcy to defer to other's expertise. U turn is done at super slow speed. A car handling is assessed at high speed. Has Toprgear ever asssess the Ferrari's and Lambo's handling by having a U-turn test?

About the F1 car. It was not made for normal road.

↡ Advertisement

In fact, U turn is like an extreme turn, so shouldn't we gauge how the car reacts during and after the turn as a rough gauge of its ability to handle bends?

U-turn is not a good gauge of handling at corners or high speeds. A 10 foot lorry has a very good turning radius and can do a tighter u-turn than many cars can. But can you say the lorry handles well? Try hitting a high speed or taking a corner fast and you'll probably flip over.

Turbocharged
(edited)

U should stop the discussion on U-turn. U have no idea what U turn or turning radius is about the more u say the more stupid u look. If you must, at least do some reading before replying if not have the decentcy to defer to other's expertise. U turn is done at super slow speed. A car handling is assessed at high speed. Has Toprgear ever asssess the Ferrari's and Lambo's handling by having a U-turn test?

Anyway most Sports car's turning radius sucks and very wide....they cannot do a clean u-turn at small 2 lane roads.

Why? Cos it's made this way. Those sportscar's steering mounting is setup in such a way that it's stable at high speed manuvuer but sacrifice on nippy low speed turning. That's why sometime you see those sportscar doing 3 point turn at u-turn, most prob not cos their driving sucks but more like their car's turning radius sucks.

The U-turn for BB car should be mostly the same due to the setup it's targetted for, normal driving and cruise plus city/urban driving.

Anyway why are we explaining this fundamental stuff in a thread about fun cars?

Edited by Pocus

Anyway why are we explaining this fundamental stuff in a thread about fun cars?

Because some genius told us a fun car is one that is one of the most under-powered in its class, has poor acceleration, has average handling but has boot, looks average (unlike the civic, elantra and Giulietta) and can do U turn on Singapore roads.

if ts is talking abt mazda 3, perhaps that's the price range he can afford..

imo still not a fun car! Swift sport's handling & the manual gear stick..now thats fun for something in the price bracket, i feel.

His mz3 just kicked in yo!

Hi Redboy,

50km/h on a 90degree turn in MSCP may be possible but I think it would be more interesting for me to see it on a mazda3. 50km/h no more or less, 90 degree sharp turn without braking. Do I have the opportunity to witness this wonderful show? (I get to choose the MSCP that is). We can go for tea after that.

challenge-accepted.png

pic7.jpg

Neutral Newbie

Let's stop all these childish endless bashing against a good car and its supporters, just because of certain over-rated opinions from a fellow forumer. Mz3 might not be the best, but nonetheless a good car in its own right. I would think its big brother Mz6 as a much stronger contender to being 'fun to drive', more so with the 2.5 option or the MPS. Alongside with class-leading Ford Mondeo. IIRC, Kia Optima scored quite well in a review too. Not my opinion, but through reviews and magazines. Of course the Germans mostly take the lead and even more so with the M Series/AMG. And then the supercars...etc. Never-ending. Since thread is on 'still available new or used', i guess it's going to be a huge list. So end of day, definition of 'fun' still depends on how deep one's pockets are.

For me, i think Chery Cute Cute most fun =P

Hi Redboy,

50km/h on a 90degree turn in MSCP may be possible but I think it would be more interesting for me to see it on a mazda3. 50km/h no more or less, 90 degree sharp turn without braking. Do I have the opportunity to witness this wonderful show? (I get to choose the MSCP that is). We can go for tea after that.

i also wanto see.

Neutral Newbie

those mscp stunt r no real deal, the truth lies out there , ok let me pick a spot, PIE spiral entrance from lornie rd , announce ur make & model if u can cruise down the outer lane no braking & make it out alive to PIE, (warning not for the weak minded)

PIE vs mini cooper : 0-1

Let's stop all these childish endless bashing against a good car and its supporters, just because of certain over-rated opinions from a fellow forumer. Mz3 might not be the best, but nonetheless a good car in its own right. I would think its big brother Mz6 as a much stronger contender to being 'fun to drive', more so with the 2.5 option or the MPS. Alongside with class-leading Ford Mondeo. IIRC, Kia Optima scored quite well in a review too. Not my opinion, but through reviews and magazines. Of course the Germans mostly take the lead and even more so with the M Series/AMG. And then the supercars...etc. Never-ending. Since thread is on 'still available new or used', i guess it's going to be a huge list. So end of day, definition of 'fun' still depends on how deep one's pockets are.

For me, i think Chery Cute Cute most fun =P

I think IMO, a lot of owners are wearing rose tinted glass & have inflated opinion of their own car. When I got my first car, lancer glx, I thought the car was fantastic, fun to drive & even rather quite. But after driving other cars, I realize that its nothing really extraordinary.

I hate to break it to people, but Japanese generally do not design their B&B cars for fun to drive & great handling, unless design specifically for European markets. (if you buy a Tomyam car, even less so). If you wanted a good handling & fun Japanese car, you have to get their sport models, then its another story. I believe most B&B Japanese cars still do not comes with ESP as standard or as an option.

If you want b&b cars that have decent handling & fun, get something like Ford fiesta or golf. You can always have fun (within responsibility & limit) with a car, any car, but there is a different between having fun driving a car, & a car is fun. Sometimes, how you drive, when & where you drive are more important in creating fun, than what car you drive. But compare car to car, I personally find it hard to agree Mazda 3 is best in class, or one of the best in class.

I have no doubt that Mazda 3 owners, or any other cars owner have fun with their car ( I do not drive a Mazda 3, but I have sit many times in one), but more in a way like driving it is more fun than say having to sit beside Mother in law & hearing her nag the whole journey, than fun compare to other B&B cars.

Just my 2 cents.

Bro....if you think mz3 is fun car, go try the rx-8.

bro... of course, if one's pockets can afford, I am not denying that there could be more fun cars out there like RX-8

I also know abt RX8's cult status but different price bracket. [laugh]

U do know that there are Mazda 3 hatches? How big must the boot size be? Is boot size a requirement or is storage a requirement? Any other gear, tire requirements? State it all upfront.

When we told u it was underpowered, u brought out $ practicality and handling. When we gave you the Suzuki Swift (one of the best in handling) suddenly need boot and cabin even though there are Mazda 3 hatchbacks. A person who read your post may assume u are randomly throwing requirements in on the fly.

I cannot resist this. In summary, Mazda 3 is best in its class even though its acceleration is one of the worse in class, no major car website and magazine mentioned its handling is anything fantastic only because u negotiate some turns in MSCP at 50km/h. Wow. U sure aren't biased.

Of course, I know there are mz3 hatches but then, lacking the boot space mah and I have not driven it, so cannot comment.

I dun deny that mz3's power may be lacking to some but isn't it right to say if someone wants a reasonably-priced B&B car with fun-factor, boot space and space for 5 passengers, then it has to be the mz3, isn't it? Until now, no bro here is able to suggest a contender with the above stated package, in similar price bracket, so what's the point of arguing? <_<

Some bros keep bringing out swift sports, and I did not say that it isn't fun, since I have not driven it before. But since I have sitten in it before, I dare say that it is crampy with smaller cabin space and miserable boot space, so it may not be a practical car after all.'

In short, swift sports can be fun but falls short in practicality

If u have read up on mz3's history, it ever won some awards in some parts of the world, for the package it offers. I also ever watched some videos comparing mz3 against corolla and civic where the the testers liked mz3's engaging drive, though power is slightly lacking.

then can u explain why vios feel unstable when and after doing U turn but mz3 somehow feels more stable?

I dun deny that mz3's power may be lacking to some but isn't it right to say if someone wants a reasonably-priced B&B car with fun-factor, boot space and space for 5 passengers, then it has to be the mz3, isn't it? Until now, no bro here is able to suggest a contender with the above stated package, in similar price bracket, so what's the point of arguing? <_<

Some bros keep bringing out swift sports, and I did not say that it isn't fun, since I have not driven it before. But since I have sitten in it before, I dare say that it is crampy with smaller cabin space and miserable boot space, so it may not be a practical car after all.'

You are defining the selection criteria to justify your choice. It is like I am saying that a handsome man has to be exactly 1.81m tall, have a little bit of a beer belly, wear super thick and geeky specs, messy hair and many pimple scars and then proclaiming myself the most handsome man in the world. And then when someone comes along and says "Eh my relative also fits all the criteria"; I will say handsome men must also own 1 honda civic 1.6 and 1 swift sport at the same time then considered handsome. Like that I will always be the most handsome man in the world already. [laugh]

But just for argument's sake, how about a Honda Civic SIR 4M? It would be (1) cheaper than a Mazda 3, (2) more fun (IMO), (3) boot space is good, (4) space for 5 passengers. But why do I suspect the next thing you are going to bring out will be car must be <10 years old or car must be reliable or car must be refined with modern interior or car must have [*insert choice of modern car tech] or all of the above?

(edited)

Of course, I know there are mz3 hatches but then, lacking the boot space mah and I have not driven it, so cannot comment.

Now now dun be so impatient. I just want you to be clear on your criteria before I respond. You want cars that have for fun at the same range of Mazda 3 with a boot? How about a Impreza with its AWD, or the 1.4Jetta or the Focus Sedan. I have done a price check, they are almost the same price, the Jetta cost a bit more, 5k but you'll save on the FC and the road tax. There you go, 3 cars with better acceleration AND handling. Now I am not denying that Mz3 could be fun. It is definitely more fun than a Vios or a City, however, u exposed your ownership bias and your lack of knowledge of cars when u insist it is the best in the B&B category.

Edited by Royho1979
↡ Advertisement