Most fun to drive car that's still available new or used

Verve

then can u explain why vios feel unstable when and after doing U turn but mz3 somehow feels more stable?

So U-turn stability is now a criteria for fun car, or have you disregarded everything our fellow MCFers wrote to inform you about u-turn and turn radius.

We are talking about handling here, which is about the ability to negotiate turns at high speed. Which part of a u-turn is high speed?

↡ Advertisement

You are defining the selection criteria to justify your choice. It is like I am saying that a handsome man has to be exactly 1.81m tall, have a little bit of a beer belly, wear super thick and geeky specs, messy hair and many pimple scars and then proclaiming myself the most handsome man in the world. And then when someone comes along and says "Eh my relative also fits all the criteria"; I will say handsome men must also own 1 honda civic 1.6 and 1 swift sport at the same time then considered handsome. Like that I will always be the most handsome man in the world already. [laugh]

But just for argument's sake, how about a Honda Civic SIR 4M? It would be (1) cheaper than a Mazda 3, (2) more fun (IMO), (3) boot space is good, (4) space for 5 passengers. But why do I suspect the next thing you are going to bring out will be car must be <10 years old or car must be reliable or car must be refined with modern interior or car must have [*insert choice of modern car tech] or all of the above?

Its ok.... at some stage, it will be the car must be a Mazda and has a Mazda 3 logo.

But just for argument's sake, how about a Honda Civic SIR 4M? It would be (1) cheaper than a Mazda 3, (2) more fun (IMO), (3) boot space is good, (4) space for 5 passengers.

That will also bring in older gen BMWs like E36s

If MZ3 is considered fun to drive, then I'd say the Opel Combo or old VW Caddy even more fun, definitely more boot space + turbo diesel...lots of torque down low. :D

When go shopping centres can park at loading bay somemore...hehehe

Turbocharged
(edited)

I think IMO, a lot of owners are wearing rose tinted glass & have inflated opinion of their own car. When I got my first car, lancer glx, I thought the car was fantastic, fun to drive & even rather quite. But after driving other cars, I realize that its nothing really extraordinary.

I hate to break it to people, but Japanese generally do not design their B&B cars for fun to drive & great handling, unless design specifically for European markets. (if you buy a Tomyam car, even less so). If you wanted a good handling & fun Japanese car, you have to get their sport models, then its another story. I believe most B&B Japanese cars still do not comes with ESP as standard or as an option.

If you want b&b cars that have decent handling & fun, get something like Ford fiesta or golf. You can always have fun (within responsibility & limit) with a car, any car, but there is a different between having fun driving a car, & a car is fun. Sometimes, how you drive, when & where you drive are more important in creating fun, than what car you drive. But compare car to car, I personally find it hard to agree Mazda 3 is best in class, or one of the best in class.

I have no doubt that Mazda 3 owners, or any other cars owner have fun with their car ( I do not drive a Mazda 3, but I have sit many times in one), but more in a way like driving it is more fun than say having to sit beside Mother in law & hearing her nag the whole journey, than fun compare to other B&B cars.

Just my 2 cents.

As mentioned, Mz3 is a good car as a whole, just that associating it as fun car is funny. But actually it all also depends on the driver lah and his experience in the cars he drove lah. If the driver have more experience on other cars, he might think otherwise. You throw a beat up Proton Saga to a new driver is he will still find it the most fun!

Anyway, ESP don't make a car fun hor...it's WITHOUT ESP that makes a car awesome!

Edited by Pocus

Supercharged

As mentioned, Mz3 is a good car as a whole, just that associating it as fun car is funny. But actually it all also depends on the driver lah and his experience in the cars he drove lah. If the driver have more experience on other cars, he might think otherwise. You throw a beat up Proton Saga to a new driver is he will still find it the most fun!

Anyway, ESP don't make a car fun hor...it's WITHOUT ESP that makes a car awesome!

Beat Up Proton Saga...... fun meh? [laugh]

Because some genius told us a fun car is one that is one of the most under-powered in its class, has poor acceleration, has average handling but has boot, looks average (unlike the civic, elantra and Giulietta) and can do U turn on Singapore roads.

hey... no disrespect to civic or elantra, mazda 3 still looks nicer than them... civic looks nice except the rear with its headlights, elantra looks overdone....

mazda 3 still have timeless looks.... Handling, mz3 still better than civic/elantra, as I tested them earlier. But no doubt, civic is better car in all other aspects.

As for elantra, it is also a decent, competent car but too bad, the COE nowadays makes it expensive to own one at the moment. [smallcry]

if ts is talking abt mazda 3, perhaps that's the price range he can afford..

imo still not a fun car! Swift sport's handling & the manual gear stick..now thats fun for something in the price bracket, i feel.

His mz3 just kicked in yo!

do try driving the mz3 for an extended period of time, then you will appreciate the drive. Other than power and engine, I'd say the steering feedback, feel and the way the car responds to steering feel makes it a reasonably fun car at an affordable price. As I have said, to be fair, got to drive the car personally, rather than based on hearsay.

those mscp stunt r no real deal, the truth lies out there , ok let me pick a spot, PIE spiral entrance from lornie rd , announce ur make & model if u can cruise down the outer lane no braking & make it out alive to PIE, (warning not for the weak minded)

PIE vs mini cooper : 0-1

I have not tried this spiral but did try the spiral exit from Clementi to AYE towards Tuas. Wonder if that's challenging enough?

I think my speed was about 50kmh(can't recall the exact speed though as my eyes were focused on the road)

You are defining the selection criteria to justify your choice. It is like I am saying that a handsome man has to be exactly 1.81m tall, have a little bit of a beer belly, wear super thick and geeky specs, messy hair and many pimple scars and then proclaiming myself the most handsome man in the world. And then when someone comes along and says "Eh my relative also fits all the criteria"; I will say handsome men must also own 1 honda civic 1.6 and 1 swift sport at the same time then considered handsome. Like that I will always be the most handsome man in the world already. [laugh]

But just for argument's sake, how about a Honda Civic SIR 4M? It would be (1) cheaper than a Mazda 3, (2) more fun (IMO), (3) boot space is good, (4) space for 5 passengers. But why do I suspect the next thing you are going to bring out will be car must be <10 years old or car must be reliable or car must be refined with modern interior or car must have [*insert choice of modern car tech] or all of the above?

no problem. no disrespect to all the civics which has achieved some kinda cult status as well.

I dun deny civic's engine which is anytime superior to the mazda, based on my recent drive experience on new civic FD. [bounce2]

As for civic SIR, I have not driven but I have heard of its legendary status, so I do give it some respect [bounce2]

But as for handling, I am not sure on its ability to match a Mazda, comparing unmodded cars. As far as I am aware, Hondas are not normally renowned for handling capabilities. Maybe since you suggested, you can offer advice if u have driven both before. This is for the benefit of all.

Neutral Newbie

Aggressive driving

Manual gears, manual steering with smaller wheel (strong arms), shorter castor, smaller tyres, low c.g., low polar inertia (engine in cebtre) stiffer suspension and chassis, etc

Relaxed and comfortable driving.

Auto gear, power steering, larger dia wheels, longer castor, softer suspension with good damping etc.

Depends what kind of fun is wanted.

Ford, Mazda, are more to aggressive driving ( try to be sportier) in same class.

Now now dun be so impatient. I just want you to be clear on your criteria before I respond. You want cars that have for fun at the same range of Mazda 3 with a boot? How about a Impreza with its AWD, or the 1.4Jetta or the Focus Sedan. I have done a price check, they are almost the same price, the Jetta cost a bit more, 5k but you'll save on the FC and the road tax. There you go, 3 cars with better acceleration AND handling. Now I am not denying that Mz3 could be fun. It is definitely more fun than a Vios or a City, however, u exposed your ownership bias and your lack of knowledge of cars when u insist it is the best in the B&B category.

noted your suggestion. I know about Impreza's AWD capabilities but unfortunately, I have not driven it, so I will not disregard it, unless I have driven it.

All I know is, I have sat in Impreza before which belongs to one of my university course-mates. Interior still a tad cramped and noisy, but then it's the Boxer's engine note which spices up the drive.

As for Jetta, still more expensive, if you consider the overall running costs. I ever looked at Jetta 1.4 TSI at one point but the insurance quoted was significantly higher, as compared to other B&B cars, so any savings on FC and rd tax is negated. Not to mention, reliability on the gearbox is a question as somehow, it's not quite as reliable as a conventional 4-speed gearbox, so not too sure on the long-term maintenance costs. Nonetheless, Jetta TSI engine wins anytime but as for handling, I cannot comment further as to how it matches up.

For Focus, well again a worthy contender to consider renowned for handling but unfortunately, no chance to drive it yet, unless bros here can comment.

Checked the latest price list and still 5K more expensive.

If MZ3 is considered fun to drive, then I'd say the Opel Combo or old VW Caddy even more fun, definitely more boot space + turbo diesel...lots of torque down low. :D

When go shopping centres can park at loading bay somemore...hehehe

Yup, you reminded me. I used to drive my colleague's Opel Combo some yrs when i was doing some errands. Power and boot space wins anytime.

But eh, handling?? hmm.... well, the Opel Combo handles surprisingly competently but since it's a van, the CG is high, so the cornering requires some care.

MZ3 Fun? Lolz.....my toes are laughing....

Dun laugh leh.... [laugh]

Unless you have personally driven the models, otherwise not fair to comment based on hearsay....

is a z4 considered a fun drive? topless very cooling mah.... or stunt driving cars..? or what else....convertibles use to be fun? cabriolets or ?

U all don't bother to deny Mazda 3 is a good car because any others u brought up which is better, he will say never try before so dunno

↡ Advertisement