Most fun to drive car that's still available new or used

Verve

The problem is, sometimes, the really fun to drive cars are quite hard to live with day-to-day. Think an involving, driver's oriented car that has a jittery ride in KPE, steering that has so much feedback it is tiring to keep the car tracking straight, power that's only available when you rev the t!ts off the thing, heavy competition clutch that is terrible in stop-go traffic but is completely necessary to reliably handle 500hp.

I cannot imagine an Elise being a fun day-to-day car, nor an MX-5 being very practical, due to its limited boot, 2 seat configuration, etc. But as a driver's car they are extremely focused, fun when you've got the right bit of B-road, or bring it to a track to use 10/10ths of its ability. Driving responsibly on public roads probably uses only 2/10ths of these drivers' cars ability and that's where guys like redboy come in with their opinion that their bread and butter cars are somehow "fun". It isn't, not by a long shot. Bring it to a track, or a challenging B-road in Malaysia (something that lasts longer than the 2 minutes it takes to clear South Buona Vista Road) and then you will realize how un-fun it is. I've spent a week driving the 2 liter version of the current shape Mazda 3 and the kindest thing I can say about it is that the power is barely adequate, the handling is merely competent (I drove a brand new Elantra for the next week) and that it was a transportation tool. Fun, it is not.

In interpreting "Most fun to drive car that's still available new or used", there's no teasing out of "bread and butter category", "SUV category", "MPV category" or whatever. Its fun to drive, period. People who imagine that a Mazda 3 is fun to drive, really need to recalibrate their standards to include cars of other categories that are more driver-focused and performance oriented.

well, i do it before entering the ramp upwards and downwards. my speed is clearly 40-50kmh without having to brake & car responds sturdily to it and really, it's like the steering inspires the confidence to do so. in fact, do it countless times already when assessing MSCP near my blk. [:p]

I dun dare to try with other models I have driven. But I recalled making a u-turn with vios at the typical speed I am used to in a mazda and the vios is like wobbling unsteadily already, not to mention entering ramp at 40-50.

however, I am not disrespecting other makes which I have not driven and perhaps, there are better handling makes or drivers, but I just list out an example of the handling ability of mz3. every brand has its own strengths and weaknesses. Just like famed Honda for VTEC, mazda for zoom-zoom feel etc....

Dear fren, 50 on the straight part is more than possible, but not braking for entry into ramp is really cool story. Be careful of kids that are obscured by the vehicles, and any water or fluid on surfaces with hard wearing coat will cause u to totally lose control. Suggest u never ever try that again in mscp.

Would not refute that ms3 has decent suspension setup and rigidity (its heavy), but my opinion is being auto and underpowered does not makes it a fun car.

But then to each his own, u have ur fun and I have mine.

what do u think? I am only comparing with b&b cars, so though I know mx-5 is closely associated with iconic mazda miata, I cannot comment.

If you have not driven an MX-5 before and therefore do not know the difference between a B&B car and cars that were built for driving, then say so. Suggesting the Mazda 3 in a thread like this is like going to a fine dining restaurant dressed in berms and slippers. "Associated with the Miata"? Hello, the MX-5 IS the Miata! Next you'll be telling me that the MR-2 is closely associated with the MR-S?

haha.. but unfortunately, most of the models you listed are more ex leh.. [:p]

if you can, list out a model with boot space, handling and in same price segment as mz3 leh.

in terms of price and practicality, I am not saying mz3 is the best, dunno why bros here misunderstand.

I am just saying that if TS wants a practical but yet offers a bit of driving fun, different from the typical crowd of B&B cars, then mz3 still can be a choice.

like I say, TS din say he wants something powerful or expensive, so that's why I listed out strengths for him to review lor.

Initially, u claimed Mz3 is very fun.. then slowly, you add in cabin, boot, price... etc.. why dun u tell us exactly what is needed.. If there must be a Mazda 3 logo on the car then of course the Mazda 3 is a fun car in that category.

well, i do it before entering the ramp upwards and downwards. my speed is clearly 40-50kmh without having to brake & car responds sturdily to it and really, it's like the steering inspires the confidence to do so. in fact, do it countless times already when assessing MSCP near my blk. [:p]

I dun dare to try with other models I have driven. But I recalled making a u-turn with vios at the typical speed I am used to in a mazda and the vios is like wobbling unsteadily already, not to mention entering ramp at 40-50.

however, I am not disrespecting other makes which I have not driven and perhaps, there are better handling makes or drivers, but I just list out an example of the handling ability of mz3. every brand has its own strengths and weaknesses. Just like famed Honda for VTEC, mazda for zoom-zoom feel etc....

U keep telling us about YOU and your multi-story carpark like you are the STIG and your MSCP is the Topgear track. That should be how handling of all cars are tested? So tell me how many cars u tested in the legendary MSCP of yours?

Also , if u are going to use a Vios making a U-turn as a bench mark u are so far off the point I dunno what to say. U-turn is about turning radius. Handling is about negotiating a turn at high speed. Do you know almost all the F1 cars cant do a U-turn in Singapore's road? So their handling must be terrible. Oh my.

He was conducting his own Fifth Gear test, where Bruno Senna drives the tested car from basement to top floor of a multistorey carpark against the clock! [rolleyes]

Aiyo , this thread is for one another to give opinions mah. why shoot that poor fellow and his mazda 3 down like that.it's like primary school kids squabbling leh.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

1) Classic car, classic car & classic car.

2) Any sport/coupe car without power steering.

3) Any sport/coupe car that is mechanical driven without complicated electronic system link.

4) Any sport/coupe car whereby the first model was built before the 90s (and whereby may extend until the 90s).

Note: Apply only for Manual car. Auto car not included and do not qualify!

Edited by Winson_ang

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi Redboy,

50km/h on a 90degree turn in MSCP may be possible but I think it would be more interesting for me to see it on a mazda3. 50km/h no more or less, 90 degree sharp turn without braking. Do I have the opportunity to witness this wonderful show? (I get to choose the MSCP that is). We can go for tea after that.

Edited by Winson_ang

Dear fren, 50 on the straight part is more than possible, but not braking for entry into ramp is really cool story. Be careful of kids that are obscured by the vehicles, and any water or fluid on surfaces with hard wearing coat will cause u to totally lose control. Suggest u never ever try that again in mscp.

Would not refute that ms3 has decent suspension setup and rigidity (its heavy), but my opinion is being auto and underpowered does not makes it a fun car.

But then to each his own, u have ur fun and I have mine.

no worries. I am actually a safe driver who always keep a safety distance :D

of course, 50kmh on the straights is nothing [laugh]

In MSCP near my place, there is a opening for drivers to check on obstacles before entering. Certainly, I have done it numerous times daily and I get used to the car's handling ability and is sure of it, then I dare to try it. If I am driving other makes, I also dun dare to try, unless I get comfortable with the car and understand its behaviour.

It's just irresistable as the car just handles it so well but of course, safety comes first.

It's just like if one drives a supercar like ferrari, no matter how safety-conscious the driver is, it's irresistable to go fast once the road is clear.

As for underpowered, it's subjective.

For a person who is driving lower cc cars, he or she may think 1.6 not underpowered.

For a person who is used to driving higher cc cars, he or she may think 1.6 is underpowered.

For me, I am satisfied lah as SG roads do not really allow speeding.

To be honest, I ever tried driving at 120kmh on Nicoll highway once when the road is clear and the feeling is still shiok.

Other than that, my normal speed is below 110kmh.

U keep telling us about YOU and your multi-story carpark like you are the STIG and your MSCP is the Topgear track. That should be how handling of all cars are tested? So tell me how many cars u tested in the legendary MSCP of yours?

Also , if u are going to use a Vios making a U-turn as a bench mark u are so far off the point I dunno what to say. U-turn is about turning radius. Handling is about negotiating a turn at high speed. Do you know almost all the F1 cars cant do a U-turn in Singapore's road? So their handling must be terrible. Oh my.

haha.. I clearly stated that I only compared against bread-&-butter cars. To be frank, I also drove vios in MSCP ramp before but it does not inspire confidence as a mz, so I was more cautious. To me, it's just a normal daily routine but that's because I have done it often and in a safe manner and the car is able to respond confidently and I understand its behaviour.

On the U turn, the road is wide enough for any type of car to make as I recalled it has more than 3 lanes, so even F1 should be able to make, so it's not about turning radius.

In fact, U turn is like an extreme turn, so shouldn't we gauge how the car reacts during and after the turn as a rough gauge of its ability to handle bends?

Initially, u claimed Mz3 is very fun.. then slowly, you add in cabin, boot, price... etc.. why dun u tell us exactly what is needed.. If there must be a Mazda 3 logo on the car then of course the Mazda 3 is a fun car in that category.

i have already stated that mz3 is a fun car in B&B category with boot space, seating for 5 and reasonable price.

Not many similar cars of such fun nature already (Practical + Fun + Reasonable Price + Great Looks)

Of course, it's easy to think of fun-to-drive cars such as the Mini Coopers, MX-5, Alfa Romeos etc which are probably more fun to drive but their price....

Turbocharged

i have already stated that mz3 is a fun car in B&B category with boot space, seating for 5 and reasonable price.

Not many similar cars of such fun nature already (Practical + Fun + Reasonable Price + Great Looks)

Of course, it's easy to think of fun-to-drive cars such as the Mini Coopers, MX-5, Alfa Romeos etc which are probably more fun to drive but their price....

Bro....if you think mz3 is fun car, go try the rx-8.

Think harder.

U do know that there are Mazda 3 hatches? How big must the boot size be? Is boot size a requirement or is storage a requirement? Any other gear, tire requirements? State it all upfront.

When we told u it was underpowered, u brought out $ practicality and handling. When we gave you the Suzuki Swift (one of the best in handling) suddenly need boot and cabin even though there are Mazda 3 hatchbacks. A person who read your post may assume u are randomly throwing requirements in on the fly.

I cannot resist this. In summary, Mazda 3 is best in its class even though its acceleration is one of the worse in class, no major car website and magazine mentioned its handling is anything fantastic only because u negotiate some turns in MSCP at 50km/h. Wow. U sure aren't biased.

↡ Advertisement