ST Forum: Time For Three-Quarter Tank Rule To Go

Vulcann

Mr Goh does not seem to understand it is always has been about dollars and cents on this 3/4 tank rule.

Although I am all for srapping this %^&*$!!!, the authorities will never agree to it because this means losing rich source of revenue from petrol duties.

<_<

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_816291.html

Time for three-quarter tank rule to go

Published on Jun 29, 2012

DRIVERS of Singapore- registered vehicles have not been allowed to purchase the RON95 grade of petrol in Malaysia since August 2010.

This petrol grade, which is subsidised by the Malaysian government, costs RM1.90 (76 Singapore cents) per litre currently, and is available only to Malaysia-registered vehicles.

Singapore-registered vehicles can be filled only with RON97 petrol, which is no longer subsidised by the Malaysian government, and its price is subject to market forces. Currently, this grade of petrol costs RM2.90 per litre.

Thus, the savings from filling our vehicles with petrol in Malaysia is no longer as attractive as it used to be.

Also, the new Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex has not helped to resolve the traffic jams associated with the old facility.

The main problem lies with the narrow two-lane road leading to the new CIQ facility from Singapore, which is used by both buses and cars.

The congestion affects vehicles leaving as well as entering Singapore.

This infrastructural constraint is unlikely to be resolved any time soon, and the congestion could deter Singaporeans from going regularly to Malaysia to purchase petrol.

Given the above-mentioned developments, the three-quarter fuel tank rule would appear to be redundant and should be scrapped.

Goh Kian Huat

↡ Advertisement

Not much of a price competition locally either.

If 3/4 rule scrapped, won't be surprised if the jam got worse due to car stranded out of fuel.

Hehehe..

Mr Goh, Bo lui mai huar chia. Singapore petrol not take expensive lah, after credit card discount, about 50 to 60 cents above what Malaysia offers. Plus toll plus distance covered to and for, wu hua meh?

support!! even tho i hvnt stepped into JB for yrs, i thk this would benefit the local car community in creating a more competitive petrol mkt. business costs down, inflation down. ball's in your court man.

If three-quarter tank rule is to go, our petrol companies bonus will be greatly got affected! :D

does 99% of singaporeans who are neither their employees nor belong to miw care? ^_^

Mr Goh, Bo lui mai huar chia. Singapore petrol not take expensive lah, after credit card discount, about 50 to 60 cents above what Malaysia offers. Plus toll plus distance covered to and for, wu hua meh?

True. Pump 50litre in JB only save $25-$30max. But to be fair, i don't think people drive all the way in ONLY to pump this 50litre (or less if 1.6L car or you go in with 1/4 or 1/3 tank) cos definitely bo huar. But they also can go in to get good and cheap car wash, DVD/Blu ray, ciggy, groceries, food, etc. So overall still wu hua.

Btw, i noticed that whenever i pump full tank in JB (RON97) my FC seems significantly better. When i pump in SG (RON95) FC is qutie bad. Does RON have an impact on FC? And to such great extent? Anyone else noticed this? Maybe its just my imagination....

If three-quarter tank rule is to go, our petrol companies bonus will be greatly got affected! :D

If, and if, the 3/4 tank rule is scrapped, pump prices all over Singapore will hit rock bottom overnight and mass retrenchments from the petrol companies following shortly.

But this will NEVER happen...

Come on.

the question should not be be.... got money drive car or not.....

why should the singaporean be a carrot here....? the first question should be why singapore petrol are not subsidized ? many country do subsidize this...moreover we have all the refineries around the island. ......

Supersonic

does 99% of singaporeans who are neither their employees nor belong to miw care? ^_^

I dont care but the employees from petrol companies will care. :D

If gov want to do something, make it 1/2 tank rule.... [bounce2]

both will be happy and win win situation ... [drivingcar]

Bro I will thank all the deities and anyone responsible if they don't change it to a full-tank rule eventually but 1/2 tank rule?

Well, [shakehead] ...

If the 3/4 rule cancel, karverment will have less income tax to collect, less $$$$$$$$ to pay their stuff and bonus also. Highly unlikely to see this can happen in sgp. -_-

the question should not be be.... got money drive car or not.....

why should the singaporean be a carrot here....? the first question should be why singapore petrol are not subsidized ? many country do subsidize this...moreover we have all the refineries around the island. ......

Because govt pushing for public transport, you think they will slap their own face by subsidizing petrol?

Supersonic

Because govt pushing for public transport, you think they will slap their own face by subsidizing petrol?

Thought the public transport now already very "good business"?

Hypersonic

It is not even about tax revenue.

It is about pleasing the oil companies which have big investments in Singapore.

-_-

True. Pump 50litre in JB only save $25-$30max. But to be fair, i don't think people drive all the way in ONLY to pump this 50litre (or less if 1.6L car or you go in with 1/4 or 1/3 tank) cos definitely bo huar. But they also can go in to get good and cheap car wash, DVD/Blu ray, ciggy, groceries, food, etc. So overall still wu hua.

Btw, i noticed that whenever i pump full tank in JB (RON97) my FC seems significantly better. When i pump in SG (RON95) FC is qutie bad. Does RON have an impact on FC? And to such great extent? Anyone else noticed this? Maybe its just my imagination....

Which car can pump 50L from 3/4 tank onwards? Don't talk about 1.6L, even 2.0L and above also cannot make it to 50L unless from 1/4 up. Buying ciggarette is illegal now. Even 1 stick also cannot bring back. Goceries also limited, cannot buy cooking oil as I was told it is a controlled items. Vegetables and poultry if too large amount will kena AVA check. Want to save money, tough lah.

↡ Advertisement